PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Aquatic Entomology - anyone seen this book?

tsk
IB3 Member Level 1

Aquatic Entomology - anyone seen this book?

Post by tsk »

I just picked up a copy of Aquatic Entomololgy; The Fishermens and Ecologists Illustrated Guide to Insects and Their Relatives by W. Patrick McCafferty with illustrations by Arwin V. Provonsha. Published by Jones and Bartlett

It looks to be very good, makes me wonder if there is anything else out there that could be that specific.
One must admit, fulfillment of most obsessions starts with potential for the given becoming wet.
The apprentice
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by The apprentice »

tsk,

Sounds like an interesting book but very expensive at $79.95. Is it mostly about North American insects or do you think it would have application in UK/Europe? ISBN is 0867200170 and publishers can be found at www.jbpub.com.

Don
tsk
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by tsk »

The apprentice wrote:tsk,

Sounds like an interesting book but very expensive at $79.95. Is it mostly about North American insects or do you think it would have application in UK/Europe? ISBN is 0867200170 and publishers can be found at www.jbpub.com.

Don
That I cannot answer. I would like to have a book like this from Europe to compare. I will be working my way through this book over time. The person who sold me the book said he used his copy so much it needs to be re-bound; he apparently hold numerous pattern patents. I should mention that my life studies have never been biology/entomology/science based.
One must admit, fulfillment of most obsessions starts with potential for the given becoming wet.
Mike Connor
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Mike Connor »

The apprentice
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by The apprentice »

tsk,

Can't speak for continental Europe as a whole but so far as Ireland and the UK go, the best text (in my view and of many) is An Anglers Entomology by J.R. Harris. It is long out of print (think it was first printed in 1951) but B&W copies are not too hard to find. The original colour plates were very good so that it is worth paying the extra for a colour copy if you find one (many of the more recent celebrated authors are no more than a rehash of Harris!). Copies can often be found at www.anglebooks.com.

The book not only studies aquatic insects in lakes & rivers but also explores many old patterns and has many useful insights into trout behaviour and their reaction to the various stages of insect hatching.

Don
tsk
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by tsk »

The apprentice wrote:tsk,

Can't speak for continental Europe as a whole but so far as Ireland and the UK go, the best text (in my view and of many) is An Anglers Entomology by J.R. Harris. It is long out of print (think it was first printed in 1951) but B&W copies are not too hard to find. The original colour plates were very good so that it is worth paying the extra for a colour copy if you find one (many of the more recent celebrated authors are no more than a rehash of Harris!). Copies can often be found at www.anglebooks.com.

The book not only studies aquatic insects in lakes & rivers but also explores many old patterns and has many useful insights into trout behaviour and their reaction to the various stages of insect hatching.

Don
tsk
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by tsk »

Mike Connor wrote:Try this;

http://www.fishandfly.co.uk/bookrevs/flybooks.html

TL
MC
Mike have you ever layed eyes on eather of those books?
julia
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by julia »

An Anglers Entomology by J R Harris is indeed a good book.
I got a first edition, with colour plates on ebay. Love it.

J
Mike Connor
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Mike Connor »

tsk wrote:
Mike Connor wrote:Try this;

http://www.fishandfly.co.uk/bookrevs/flybooks.html

TL
MC

Mike have you ever layed eyes on eather of those books?
Yes, I have them. I also have several editions of the Harris book. All very good indeed.

TL
MC
tsk
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by tsk »

At this point I am wondering what the 1970 version would be like (J.R Harris). All black and white?
Mike Connor
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Mike Connor »

tsk wrote:At this point I am wondering what the 1970 version would be like (J.R Harris). All black and white?
The ones I have have colour plates. Don´t know which editions offhand. Would have to go and look.

This book is still readily available;

http://www.birdnet.co.uk/newnat.html

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec....5889240

and lots of other places. It is a very useful book.

TL
MC
wsbailey
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by wsbailey »

I have both a first edition and the 1990 version. The newer version explains that for the sake of economy the colour plates were reproduced in black and white. I would recommend paying more for an edition with the original colour plates. They are really stunning especially considering the printing technology of the time. Bill
tsk
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by tsk »

wsbailey wrote:I have both a first edition and the 1990 version. The newer version explains that for the sake of economy the colour plates were reproduced in black and white. I would recommend paying more for an edition with the original colour plates. They are really stunning especially considering the printing technology of the time. Bill
I asume you bought the black and white first, then came across the color after some searching? Then because you are of the pack rat variety you never unloaded the black and white copy?
???
wsbailey
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by wsbailey »

If anyone is interested the 1990 edition is available.

Bill
tsk
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by tsk »

OK, I called the bookstore and apparently the J.R. Harris copy they have is an American publisher printed in England, but no date is found.
Andrea did say that the book contained 27 black and white and 103 color plates.
Does this sound like the original content or the middle version content?