PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Sea Bass in the Netherlands

Stefan S
IB3 Member Level 1

Sea Bass in the Netherlands

Post by Stefan S »

Hi,
in mid june I'll be at the north sea in the very south of the Netherlands (Domburg/Oostkapelle) for family vacation.
Makes it sense to bring along my 7wt to fish for sea bass from the shore? Will I have a good chance to catch some fish?
I've never fished for sea bass before. In case it makes sense to fish there … what flies should I bring, what is the best time of the day, best tide, …?
Thanks for your help.
Stefan
Mike Connor
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Mike Connor »

A freind of mine fishes regularly for bass in the Netherlands, I will see if I can contact him.

TL
MC
Ian.
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Ian. »

you should definitively bring your 7wt. to the netherlands. what you should also bring: a decent 300gr. sinktip and some bucktail streamers.

go out there lokk for some structures and most important for current and catch some bass. there are plenty around in the north sea.

cheers,

Ian.
- the chase is better than the catch -

tarakito.net
dorretje
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by dorretje »

Hi Stefan,

Where do you live, if you speak dutch there are many fora which can help you.

I would certainly take your fly rod on holiday. I live about 1,5 hour of your holiday residence and in begin of juli I will be there to hunt for Seabass. I can say that Zeeland is an eldorado for european SWFF. There are many places and whitin the hour there is a place to find with not to much wind.
There r hotspots with low-tide and whit high tide, but generally you can say 2 hours before and 2 hours after high tide will be best.

In the early mornings and late evenings or if you want at night (depending on the tide) you can fish on the beach for bass. In the day time it will be to crowded. A very good spot is in vlissingen at the boulevard.

SL Andor
Stefan S
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Stefan S »

Thanks for your help.
I definitely will bring my fly rod.
Dorretje, what do you mean with fishing the beach? Do you think it makes sense to fish over sandy bottom (e.g. in Oostkapelle) or more to the wave breakers? Will the fish come in shallow water close to the shore at night?
So many questions.
Stefan
Morsie
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Morsie »

Love to see some pics of these sea bass and the flies you use to catch them.

Morsie
That was the river - this is the sea........
Gonzo
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Gonzo »

Here's what they look like Morsie, although this one was caught in Wales a couple of weeks ago.

~Gonzo~