PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

bushfires in Victoria, Australia - Fund raising?

proceeds go to the Australian Red Cross
rrw35
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by rrw35 »

Morsie wrote:. One of the worst firebugs in my area was caught a few years ago and he was a most enthusiastic volunteer in one of the local fire crews. They have done a lot of profile work on these guys and I would be very surprised if the guy arrested wasn't on a watch list.

Morsie

He was interviewed on British tv yesterday Morsie.

He commented on the "buzz" he got, starting the fires, then helping in putting them out. :glare: :glare: :glare: :glare:
Morsie
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Morsie »

Turkeys are very good medicine Glenda, especially the wild kind.

Ryan was the interview from behind bars? He's probably been let out so he can exercise his human right to light fires.

Morsie
That was the river - this is the sea........
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

How can they charge a guy with a chainsaw FFS? That's just an accident and bad luck. It's unlikely he'll do it again.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

don't know what the legislation's like in Australia, Paul but in certain countries or areas like near here around the Mediterranean, all mechanical machines are banned during certain times of the year for that very same reason. chain-saws, weed-wackers, certain tractor machinery etc. are often responsible for starting fires in dry brush.

all it takes are a few sparks and a bit of wind...

cheers,
marc
blackwater
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by blackwater »

Paul Arden wrote:How can they charge a guy with a chainsaw FFS? That's just an accident and bad luck. It's unlikely he'll do it again.

Cheers, Paul

It is called a Total Fire Ban Day Paul. No fires or use of equipment which could possibly cause a fire. I am a fitter by trade and companies need to get special exemptions for us to use equipment like oxy/acetylene torches or grinders.

Thems the rules.
David Anderson
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by David Anderson »

Paul Arden wrote:How can they charge a guy with a chainsaw FFS? That's just an accident and bad luck. It's unlikely he'll do it again.
Paul, there's a type of Australian that knows everything and can't be told by anyone when or where they're allowed to do what - but don't worry, it would be more then about 40% of the population.. :D
Eric
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Eric »

Very glad you made it through Glenda

I'm just back from NZ and pitched my remaining NZ wad into the red cross bucket at the airport. Saw the red sun in Te Anau... :(
...the fish know this and are evil... ~marc
Clark Reid
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Clark Reid »

Glad you are ok Glenda....

I'm matching the casting lesson here in the North and will put up 10 personally tied Clark's Cicadas.

As New Zealanders we reserve the right to take the piss out of Australians whenever we have the chance but to also stand shoulder to shoulder with them whenever we're needed becausxe we know they do the same for us.
Umpqua Signature Fly Designer
Flyfishing, musical, dog training bum and miscreant.
Wet
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Wet »

Glad to hear you and Blake are ok Glenda, many got caught in that wind change...
Regards,
Andrew Connell
Wet
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Wet »

Sorry Glenda, there is a few things on my mind I just noticed that I typed Blake instead of Blair...

How did his Mum and Dads place fair?
Regards,
Andrew Connell
rrw35
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by rrw35 »

Morsie wrote:Ryan was the interview from behind bars? He's probably been let out so he can exercise his human right to light fires.

Morsie
No, he was shaded out for the camera. He basically said he was a fire fighter who got addicted to the whole idea of starting fires then putting them out..... :glare: :glare:

Sounds like the type of person we need in society....
Rich Knoles
flybitch 2008

Post by Rich Knoles »

Fucking Volunteers :jack
Glenda
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Glenda »

Hi Andrew
are you a member of Northern FF Club?? If so, how are you??

FYI Blair's parents lost the roof of their house and subsequently lost all power. They are still without power four weeks after "black Saturday" (media terminology for this event). The fire was across the road from them so the entire Scott family has been traumitised by the same event.

thanks Clark. :;):

personally I am still not sleeping but will get there.. this was a life-changing event and am seriously considering all options for a change of lifestyle and career.

enough wanking from me... :D
Clark Reid
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Clark Reid »

What's concerning me is that no one is taking up the offers of the flies or casting things offered...

Chris has offered, as have I and so have others... so far I see no one getting on board to help support these folks.

With little response here I made a similar offer on an Australian board and the flies ended up in a packe with a number of other tiers and raised about $300(I think). Another selection from Muz Wulson and another bloke made $600.00.

This is my part of what went into the Aussie auction...

Come on Sexyloops.....
Attachments
cicmeg.jpg
cicmeg.jpg (74.17 KiB) Viewed 2822 times
Umpqua Signature Fly Designer
Flyfishing, musical, dog training bum and miscreant.
JohnC
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by JohnC »

Clark,

I'll go a $150 for the 10 cicada's.