PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

CTS Affinity X build - New build Q's

Trevlett
IB3 Member Level 1

CTS Affinity X build - New build Q's

Post by Trevlett »

Hey guys,
Well after building a CTS Revo a 18 months ago iv been waiting for an excuse to build another.

With another trip to NZ scheduled for next February im looking to built a light SW rod that might double as a trout rod and that i can also use here in the UK salt, bit of light pike and carp (sounds like im justifying ANOTHER purchase :D Im convinced!)

So with this in mind i wanted to start a thread to go with the latest build. Its still in its early stages and ive got plenty of questions that id like to put to you guys.

Ive ordered a CTS Affinity X 9' 6wt in cobalt blue, ive heard good things about this particular blank.
So the questions that are rattling round my head at the moment.....

Guides,
Im looking at using AmTak Titans for the strippers (use the full set on the Revo and like them lots)
Recoil heavy weight singles for the remaining.

The Recoil tip tops looks a bit rubbish, not sure if im convinced. Should i sacrifice looks for function. Anyone had any experience with them? and what size ring would suit s/m/L?

Sizes,
Sage Xi2 6wt run size 2.2.2.3.3.4.5.12.16
Too Big?

Sage TCR 6wt run 1.1.1.1.1.1.2.3.4.12
Better?

I have considered going ceramics all the way up, they are light but im not sure they are as light as single legged recoils. I know CTS have spent time shaving the weight of the blank from the affinity S (the X's predecessor so i don't want to add it back with guides and extra wraps...

That'll do for now i think, ill keep you all posted with its progress over the coming weeks

Thanks
Trev
"because you followed the misguided advice of a Scotsman whilst chipping the chalkstreams of England" - Mark Stoats
Jeroen
BBBB No5

Post by Jeroen »

Hi Trev,

Did you get the salty tip (advertised as heavy on their website) top from Recoil? the ones I have on some of my rods are pretty sturdy.
I am having a Affinity X 9'#3 built as a saltwater setup. Because I will be mainly fishing shooting heads, I have chosen for bigger sized guides. I use the Rec heavy (they are still very light) snakes in sizes 1x 5, 1x 4, 3x 3, 3x 2 and two recoil strippers in size 10 and 12.

Would love to see how you progress.

Cheers,
Jeroen
ian
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by ian »

I think the recoils are great, have just built a #10 cts affinity salt with them and an ALPS blue fly seat. I had trouble getting a tip, ended up getting a hopkins and holloway tip (from rodworks in oz). Having just been on a bone trip and having had to straighten a non recoil stripper with pliers I would def use them again.
the 10wt is a fantastic blank too, holds line in air well and seemingly low effort for big distance.
mpukas
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by mpukas »

Hey Trev - sounds like a fantastic rod! Can't wait to see the finished results.

Personally, I'd stay away f/ the Recoil tops. At the ISE Denver this past January REC had a booth showing off their components - and I love their components, especially their reel seats, I think they're the best - and the guy in the booth said he won't use recoil tops on his own rods. He fishes mainly salt in New England. Said they just don't work well and don't perform well.

There are many companies now selling rods w/ Recoil snake guides - Orvis, Winston, Scott, Gloomis, and others - and not one of them uses a Recoil top.

Last fall I built a TCX 1090-4 w/ Recoil snakes and tops. Hated it. Just stripped them all off and put on H&H DLC snakes and tops. Like a completely differnet rod. I'm going to post more in a new thread.

For a salty rod - or anything remotely heavy duty, I'm staying away f/ single foots. I've come round to see the light for snakes. Recoil's certainly have cool things about them, but stay away f/ the tops. I think H&H's round loop tops (Sage started using them on the Xi2, and now it's on the Z-Axis and TCX) is the best thing on the market right now. Only comes in chrome though.

Haven't used them myself, but I've been hearing a lot good things about Snake Brand snake guides. They've got a new leg design that has a rounded under side to better fit on a rounded surface. Many rod builders and stores consider them the best.

Keep us posted. Good luck! mpp
At what elevation do deer become elk?
Well, that depends on what side of the continental divide you're on.

What's water polo?
It's like polo, but in the water.
On sea horses?
Mysis
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Mysis »

hi,
just finished my first double hander.
it's a cts skagit blank (12 foot 6/7#).
i love the recoil snake guides but i've heard about the single foot guides being very noisy, when hauling. dont' know why but i know some guys who stripped off the guides after trying.
cheers
stephan
BWF
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by BWF »

mpukas wrote:..........

Haven't used them myself, but I've been hearing a lot good things about Snake Brand snake guides. They've got a new leg design that has a rounded under side to better fit on a rounded surface. Many rod builders and stores consider them the best.

Keep us posted. Good luck! mpp
Recent article in America Fly Fishing on them...appear to have a growing fan and user base.
gollum
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by gollum »

Just built a CTS 'Vintage' 8'6" 4#. I used the Snake brand guides. First time I've used them, definately won't be the last, very nice, great finish, no filing or bending required just bind 'em on.
The blanks a sweetie too.
Mike "Badger" Lane

"Good things come to those who wait; Shit arrives straight away."
Trevlett
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Trevlett »

Hey guys quick update...

After a whole weekend searching through posts about recoils (go fishing looser! i know!) iv decided to go with the heavy weight singles, i figured that the benefits outweigh the cons.

Its a pretty even opinion, people either like them of hate them.

Im pretty hard on my gear so the 'bendability' is an advantage, the corrosionproof-ness of them is what i need and I can live with a violin sound.

MPP- Iv ordered both the recoil tip and the H+H round, im going to use hot melt to glue them on and try them both before i settle and make a neat job of it. Im 'hoping' that with it being a lighter 6wt than your 10, the effects you experienced with be lessened.

There must be thousands of the big name factory rods with recoils that people love, that or they block it out, knowing the price they paid means it HAS to be good!

Anyways im looking forward to the build, ive just ordered an ALPS TRI reel seat in cobalt blue (cheers Ian!) to match the blank colour.
Parts to make my own fighting butt for it, full wells cork that im going to mod to give it rubberised cork top and bottom. A few extra tools to make things easier, that makes a bargin rod really quite expensive!

So to even the balance iv picked up a nice AmTak green Matrix 905-4 blank to build as a gift for a buddy that is currently struggling/persisting with a 20 year old budget Shakespeare 7-9wt thats falling to bits, man he's going to be pleased!

We were talking gear the other day and i was telling him how you can get a world class blank from CTS for £130 and build it for under £200.
He told me that he "dont want for the best" and that "im happy with the second best!"..... I laughed.. :laugh:
Im saying "dude £130 for the best blank" he says "but i wanna pay....... £30"
Knowing he's skint (having three kids does that apparently) i had a look around and found lots of nice reviews of the Matrix blank and found one for £30, exactly the price he wanted to pay!
So he's getting a set of recoils,if anyone can bust one, he can! and a matching green carbon reel seat. He'll think all his Christmases have come at once!

Thats it for now, im off to wait for the Fedex man...

Trev
"because you followed the misguided advice of a Scotsman whilst chipping the chalkstreams of England" - Mark Stoats
Lurcher
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Lurcher »

I have the same stick, built it with the single foots, very happy with it, It seems like a lot of rod for the coin, just wish I had more time to use it Enjoy.
Trevlett
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Trevlett »

Hey Lurcher
Thats good to hear, post some pics!!
Well all the parts are here, still waiting on the blank..
The Alps reel seat look pretty sexy :cool:
The TWO Matrix blanks are coming along with all the guides wrapped ready for a couple of coats of 'poxyat the weekend.
Yes i said TWO, i had to get one for myself....well there only £30.... :D
The recoils look good enough, a bid fiddly to wrap but there all on there straight.
Going by the specs on the website they seem to be one size out compaired with the H+H snakes on my XP so i ordered one size up and they look about right.
One of the Amtak Titan strippers turned up with a chunk of the ceramic missing, no sign of said chunk so came like that from the factory i guess.
One email had a replacement on my doorstep in under a week, great service but i dont see the need for a box a foot square for one size 12 guide, the postage cost them 5x the cost of the guide!!
The Recoil tips look like ass so iv gone for the H+H rounds....

Has anyone got any recommendation for ink/pens for writing on the blank before 'poxying it???

Trev
Trevlett
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Trevlett »

Thought you might like to see the rod i built for my buddy.
Its turned out well considering its only my second build. Just waiting for the 'poxy to harden off then ill give it a quick test cast then over to him.

Pics are not that good, ill take some better ones tomorrow.

Hope you like it....

Jeroen
BBBB No5

Post by Jeroen »

Looking good mate. I like the grip and the colour of the blank. Good work!
Trevlett
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Trevlett »

Hey guys,

Well the blank arrived this week!
Love the Cobalt blue on the blank, a very dark blue but when the sun hits the surface it REALLY sparkles (not enough to scare the fish Paul, no brillo pads on this baby!)

Been busy making the grip & fighting butt just got the final sanding done, still got a touch of filler to add. This is my first foray into turning my own grip from rings and im really pleased with the outcome :)

I converted my pillar drill into an upright lathe which made things easier.
Its got rubberised rings top and bottom for there hard wearing properties, blue burl (very subtle) in the grip, blue craft foam in the butt with trad burl.
Waiting for the winding check....

Heres a few pics...

Trev

Bearing holding the base steady,

Trevlett
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Trevlett »

Well here it is, finally finished!

The Affinity X 9' 6wt Cobalt blue,
Alps Tri seat in cobalt blue,
Blue check and hook keeper,
American Tackle Titan strippers with gold insert,
REC Recoil singles (heavy version)
H+H round chrome tip,
Royal blue Gudebrod with electric blue spiral trim.

I went down to the beach yesterday to wet a line, no bass unfortunately but in a 30mph wind the Affinity held its own. Hoping to get some better weather to give it a proper test but even in strong wind it threw a very nice line (even with a 1/0 clouser flaping about).
Extremely light, super fast action making it easy to throw nice tight loops. Im really happy with it :D

Trev

flycaster
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by flycaster »

Hi Trev.

That's a very nice build you've done on that blank. Do you know where the blanks are made and have you any experience of others in the range, I'm particularly interested in a 9' #7 weight 4 piece rod?

Cheers
Pete.
To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive, and the true success is to labour. R L Stevenson

"A slaves condition; not to say what one thinks" - Euripides.