PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

24hr fly tying marathon - ... raising money for Solar Aid

Biology
IB3 Member Level 1

24hr fly tying marathon - ... raising money for Solar Aid

Post by Biology »

Hi all,

At 0900 on the 21st June 2009 I'll commence a 24hr fly tying marathon to raise money for Solar Aid.

Please click here to find out more about the amazing work of Solar Aid

And hear what our Patron, the lovely Cate Blanchett has to say about the the charity here

At 0830 on 22-06-09, as the marathon draws to a close the world's leading fly fishing board :) will auction the results of the tying marathon. I will supply a new C&F fly box, and the auction will include flies from the some of the world's most innovative and respected fly tiers including:

Roy Christie
Niklas Dahlin
Hans Van Weilenmann
Paul Arden

Deer Creek (www.deercreek.co.uk) have generously sponsored the marathon with 100+ flies from their range, and the Fly Tying Boutique are also sponsoring the event with a full range of hooks.

The marathon will be streamed live at DimDim, with space for up to 20 online guests (I'll upgrade the account of we need more guest space) and there will be interviews with Nik Wright (Deer Creek) and Phil Holding (Spiders Plus & Fly Tying Boutique).

An interview has also been scheduled with Dr Jeremy Leggett, founder of Solar Aid and author of "The Carbon War" and "Half Gone". A scientist and award-winning social entrepeneur, Jeremy is one of the most informed and engaging speakers on the approaching energy crunch with unique insights in to how this is likely to play out in the next few years.

To sponsor me, please visit my fund raising page

Please give generously, and start saving for the auction :)

Please PM me if you are interested in access to the DimDim live stream so I can guage traffic.

Thanks to Paul and the above mentioned Sexyloops board members for your support thus far.

I'll post again in a couple of weeks time with an update and more news.

Andy :)
"There are no passengers on spaceship Earth - We are all crew." - Marshall McLuhan

Small Fly Funk
Biology
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Biology »

Guys,

The 24hr tying marathon commences at 0900 GMT this Sunday 21st June.

Niklas has already supplied his amazing flies and presentation box (images to follow - I'm aboard the ferry back home from Cairnryan... :( )

Deer Creek have supplied an amazing set of lures, nymphs and dries too.

Roy is busy tying up a select bunch of RPE's for the highest bidder :cool: We'll also be chatting live online about the development of his most innovative patterns.

And I'll be tying small fly funk throughout the marathon. Every fly box should have a few #32's... here's yer chance to bag some.

More details below.

Please support the marathon guys, we are raising funds for Solar Aid. Just £10.53 buys a solar lantern for use in Africa. Entire communities are liberated with this simple device: the lantern provides access to free, zero-carbon light, avoids the health impacts of burning kerosene and enables women and children especially to study after dark

Thanks to Paul, Roy and Niklas on sexyloops for your support. Hans Weilenmann's flies are heading over shortly.

Tying for 24hrs is going to FK me up, so please support the event with a donation or bid on the fly lots.
"There are no passengers on spaceship Earth - We are all crew." - Marshall McLuhan

Small Fly Funk
Roy
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Roy »

Get in touch Andy,
I'm looking forward to that one,
busy tying revparas
:D

Roy
Avon Special Emerger - the original inverse-reversed fly
see website
Biology
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Biology »

Niklas flies

Here's the first lot, a half dozen exquisite Catskill dries, three balsa bodied wasp imitations and three Mc Murray ants, an american pattern by Ed Suttryn.

Lot includes the beautiful presentation box, signed by Niklas.

Starting bid is £10.53, the price of a solar lantern and grossly below the value of Nik's work.

Winner is the highest bidder by 0900 on 22-06-09 GMT.

Thanks again for your support Mr Dahlin!

Thanks,

Small Fly Funk
Biology
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Biology »

Deer Creek Flies

There are four lots:

Bumper Mix: incl nymph, dry, lure and Robin Armstrong selections. Twenty seven flies in total.

Three other lots are:
Lure selection PLUS Robin Armstrong set (two sets available)
Dry selection PLUS Robin Armstrong set.

These are tied to the very highest standard and combine best-in-class hooks/materials with highly innovative designs...

Here's a few sample shots from the selection... more to follow:

Baby Crawdad

Poxybacked Hare's Ear

Aggravator

Starting price on all lots is £10.53, the price of a solar lantern.

Winner is the highest bidder by 0900 on 22-06-09 GMT.

For more information about the fly sets please visit Deer Creek Flies

Big thanks to Nik at Deer Creek for supporting the marathon, these are fantastic fly sets tied on TMC hooks to an amazing standard.

Thanks for looking... Happy bidding :D

Andy

Small Fly Funk
Biology
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Biology »

Breaking news...

Just got an email from Mick Hall from Kossiedun. Mick has very kindly offered some his amazing flies to help with the fundraising, details to follow.

I'll kick things off with a £15 bid for Niklas's flies and box, gotta be worth twice this!!!

C'mon guys... please show your support.

Andy

Small Fly Funk
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

awesome flies Andy. all of them. wish i could make a decent bid... :(

cheers,
marc
Mulhonken
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Mulhonken »

It sounds great Andy.. With some luck my stuff will help out. I wish you the best of luck with the marathon, wish I could be there helping you out...
Later
Nik
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

hi Andy !

what the hell... £ 21.06 for the Deer Creek Bumper Mix :)
(i really like those three flies ;) )

cheers,
marc
Fooling Fish
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Fooling Fish »

$65 NZD so roughly 25 pounds.

Good luck with the auction.

Cheers
Kevin
PS - When are the rest of the auctions going up??
Fooling Fish
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Fooling Fish »

The bids for the Deer creek flies
Biology
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Biology »

Fooling Fish wrote:PS - When are the rest of the auctions going up??
Hi Kevin,

I'll get Hans and Mick's lots up as soon as they arrive - or a description of whats heading over at least.

My stuff will be posted on Monday, post marathon but I hope to be able to post some images as I go...

Thanks again for your support.

Andy

Small Fly Funk
savage
Flygod 2011

Post by savage »

I don't want to piss on anyones party, but has anyone actually checked out if the benefits of photovoltaic panels outweigh the impact on the enviroment during it's manufacturing process? Desregarding costs, which makes the whole thing even more ineteresting.
We be of one blood you and I.
Biology
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Biology »

savage wrote:I don't want to piss on anyones party, but has anyone actually checked out if the benefits of photovoltaic panels outweigh the impact on the enviroment during it's manufacturing process? Disregarding costs, which makes the whole thing even more ineteresting.

No pissing on my party savage :)

Yes, and yes!

If you PM me your email add I'll forward a detailed analysis of the embodied energy of PV with full references. It's typically 2-4 years payback, thereafter you're achieving reduced carbon emmissions for every watt delivered. Modules are guaranteed for 20-25yrs and have a typical working life of 40+ years.
As for cost, parity with the grid in the UK is expected to be achieved around 2013... and without the massive carbon emmissions. Every kW of electricity in the UK emits 568g carbon.

And just how does grid supplied electricity provide any return on cost?

For an analysis of the economics of going solar as a homeowner (in the UK again, sorry) please read what Ashley Seager has to say from experience.

Please also note, the marathon was about raising funds to supply solar lanterns to Africa. Expensive, harmful kerosene lamps are retro-fitted with solar to provide free, clean light. The case for embodied energy and economics is sound, proven and always improving. Not that these issues are that high on your typical, impoverished African's agenda.

Did you tune to hear Jeremy Leggett speak on Sunday, savage? The issues you raise are all too familiar, they have been part of the dialogue the industry I work in has been engaged in for over a decade. I would just urge you not to be seduced by the lies and misinformation put out by the carbon-based industries that, rest assured, have far greater power, influence and cash than any of us can imagine.

The marathon will change lives, in profound and far-reaching ways. Do visit the Solar Aid website to find out how.

I'm just doing my bit, with significant and valuable support from many on this board.

Cheers,

Small Fly Funk
savage
Flygod 2011

Post by savage »

Cool,

My mail would be Karel.peyerl@gmail.com
The thing being, my father was head of Siemens Solar for a couple of year in south africa. I grew up with a household stuffed with them panels of all sizes. Considering distances, small solar power stations were a luxury very well woth it.

I take it, that production of PV is still heavy yukky chemistry stuff.

Karel
We be of one blood you and I.