PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Stopping vs Make the rod Still

Eric
IB3 Member Level 1

Stopping vs Make the rod Still

Post by Eric »

Just wondering if anyone's used anything besides the term "stop" for beginners. I'm considering using "hold the rod still" to help with loop formation and prevent creep.
...the fish know this and are evil... ~marc
savage
Flygod 2011

Post by savage »

Stop should say it all. I think it depends on how one puts it across. Like stop that rod, move it a millimeter and you'll get such a clout that you'll come back in a fortnight with snow on your boots and a bunch of bananas in your hand.
We be of one blood you and I.
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

try the Mel way and just insult them if they don't stop correctly :cool:

you could also say "squeeze !!!
mattklara
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by mattklara »

I used to tell my beginning clients that if they didn't stop the rod high on the backcast that I'd do "the mean thing".

"The mean thing" consists of standing behind them and stopping their backcast motion in the correct position with my hand. It scares them when they slam the rod into your hand the first time and it makes them realize how far back they are actually going. It also makes a good stop when they hit your hand.

If they creep, you can grab the rod and stop it from moving forward as the backcast is unrolling. Again, they get the idea fast.
Sign the petition supporting wild steelhead release on Oregon's Umpqua River system.

Sign The Petition Here

"What are the odds that Matt has a steelhead tattoo located somewhere on his body?" - joesnuffy
Rich Knoles
flybitch 2008

Post by Rich Knoles »

mattklara wrote:I used to tell my beginning clients that if they didn't stop the rod high on the backcast that I'd do "the mean thing".

"The mean thing" consists of standing behind them and stopping their backcast motion in the correct position with my hand. It scares them when they slam the rod into your hand the first time and it makes them realize how far back they are actually going. It also makes a good stop when they hit your hand.

If they creep, you can grab the rod and stop it from moving forward as the backcast is unrolling. Again, they get the idea fast.
How high did you tell them to stop it Matt? 9 feet 11 feet? how high?

Might help to tell them to pause in the same place after the stop.

I try to use the phone test for instruction. Would they figure out what I'm telling them if we were on the phone.