PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

The most common stupid question when your practice

scottrods
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by scottrods »

"you won't catch much there mate"
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

Morsie wrote:"Do you realise that while you're standing there asking me this stupid question your wife is probably at home fucking the gardener".

:worthy :yeahhh: :laugh: :D
jacktrout
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by jacktrout »

This is the best one I've heard (in person)

"Caught anything"

"Fuck off, I have a knife" :cool: :cool:
Charlie
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Charlie »

Was once casting in the Rhein near Dusseldorf without a fly / hook, just having some fun when a baliff came along and demanded to see my papers, Angelschein and the rest. Told him that I was not fishing just casting practise. Stupid beggar went on to explain that I may tangle a fish in the line and hence I was fishing :???: Logic - cant beat it sometimes!

Charlie
70 % of the world is covered in water - GO FISH!

That's what fish are there for!
Morsie
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Morsie »

I often get out casting on the road in front of the house when I'm taking a break from work - usually at least three times a day. We live on a bit of tourist sight seeing bus route. I usually hear the bus coming and get off the road and duck behind a hedge because if he sees me I can see the driver is just itching to say something because inevitably the bus slows down.

One day I stayed there and as the bus drove up I could see he was talking into the microphone and everyone in the bus stood up to have a look at me standing on the side of the road with a fly rod in my hand. Clearly the driver saw this as an opportunity for a bit of fun to entertain the tourists. I was not in any mood to be someone's source of entertainment so when he pulled up and opened his window before he could say something witty and entertaining for his bus load of tourists, I gave him my madman stare and screamed "You've just scared all the fucking fish"!!!!!!!!! :666: :666:

He hasn't stopped again........

Morsie
That was the river - this is the sea........
savage
Flygod 2011

Post by savage »

What fascinates me is the fact that everyone that walks past must surely realize that he's only the sixth hundredth and thirty second fucker to walk past, and that he's going to be extremely original with the same stupid question you've heard a million times before. Worst is a group of teens, a bunch of girls and a smart ass who's now showing off in front of them.

I've replied, “not yet, just waiting for the rain to come and flood the place”.

Similar, but slightly different and probably worse are boaters. In summer, literally, hundreds of canoes filled mostly with drunken bastards can pass by you on a days fishing. And 90% of them will scream “AHOOOOOJ, tak co, berou berou?” (Ahooooj, so what, they biting?).
We be of one blood you and I.
Morsie
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Morsie »

I was in the local park one day booming out some big casts with my then new 890 TCR. A Scottish bloke came over and said "My that rod throws a good line". So I put it down on the ground and said "Lets see how it goes now".

On another day on the road in front of the house a pompous git that I knew from sight and reputation ( a well known journalist) but had never spoken to before said the usual "Caught anything yet"?

I looked at him and said "You know I would have expected something a little cleverer from you". I thought he was going to explode.

The smartest was an old boy who with a wry smile on his face simply said, "I don't think there's any comment I can make that you probably haven't heard before". :D

Morsie
stevie d
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by stevie d »

I practice at the local park and there is a coarse fishing lake there so I usually get stuff like oi mate the lake is half a mile that way.To the ones that ask caught anything yet I usually say yes 2bluebottles and a daddy longlegs.Up until now only one person has got it(an 11or12 year old girl)and said to her friends oh yeah he's flyfishing :D
Clark Reid
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Clark Reid »

A buddy in Christchurch was practising with me one day and got the usual "Caught anything yet"?

His response was priceless...

"Yes, you're the second one today and it's catch and release so fuck off"!
Umpqua Signature Fly Designer
Flyfishing, musical, dog training bum and miscreant.
grunde
Master of The Kettle

Post by grunde »

savage wrote:Worst is a group of teens, a bunch of girls and a smart ass who's now showing off in front of them.
Excellent opportunity to return the question: "No, are you getting anything?"
"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful."
George E. P. Box

Always question the assumptions!

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

I don't know, but when I see someone casting away in a field I always ask them if they've caught anything. The problem with the question is that it's rhetorical and doesn't give you an opportunity to be a smart ass too.

Jon tells them he's fishing for worms. Some people actually believe him.
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
lonk
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by lonk »

I suppose we leave ourselves wide open for numbguts to pass comments when practising.

Go Morsie for the driver sledge!! He wouldn't happen to be a old english bloke now would he?

If it is the same guy he drives the long term carpark bus and does nothing but farkin talk. Flock me dude, just drive the friggin bus and get me to work!!!!!
I couldv'e been your Father, but the dog beat me over the fence.
Morsie
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Morsie »

Lonk I know that guy, I've been on his bus a couple of times! Man can he talk. Its all you want when you've just caught the red eye special from Perth.....

My pet hate is the "I hope you haven't got a hook on there". My answer is "Of course I have, how in earth am I supposed to catch anything without a hook on the end".

A few years ago I had a dog, a kelpie which is a very high energy working dog. It used to chase the bit of fluff, great exercise for it and a good way to tire it out. The dog loved it and would run until exhausted, that's what kelpies are like. One day a school teacher was walking through the park with a bunch of primary school kids. She went mental in front of the class at me for being so cruel to the dog. If anyone ever deserved an earful for being so stupid she did, but I shut up that time. I still can't think of anything should have said to her. :angry:

Morsie
savage
Flygod 2011

Post by savage »

Good one, Grunde.
We be of one blood you and I.
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

for the life of me i can't understand why you all get upset over these comments.