PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Drift - is it necessary

Stoatstail50
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Stoatstail50 »

I'm puzzled about this loops thing...Marc is right, you can vary the stroke length for a fixed length of line by varying the tempo of the stroke. I think you can also probably increase the casting angle without the loops opening too much by increasing power application so I don't see how its opening your loop unless you are somehow pulling them open.
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Stoatstail50
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Stoatstail50 »

victor wrote:It's not a 'longer stroke' Marc, it's a wider casting angle, too wide for the amount of line I may be casting.
Cross posted there Mike...sorry.

Jo is right really, its a kinda band in certain circumstances, if everything is right then its not really necessary so why not just stop drifting if its causing a problem rather than fixing one ?
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Prinsviggo
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Prinsviggo »

You can try drift in a way to narrow your loops instead of open them... I imagine that drifting more up would be the best way..., not?

/S
victor
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by victor »

I imagine that drifting more up would be the best way..., not?

Yep, that fixes is a treat, or not drift at all for the shorter stuff.

Mark,my drift was tip down and back, something I do automatically for distance, it somehow got transfered to my normal casting. I would have to put in a lot of power to create SLP with the tip as low as it was, too powerful for the amount of line I was casting.

Mike
it's casting Jim, but not as we know it, according to EFFA

http://michaelheritage.wordpress.com/
WetWading
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by WetWading »

victor wrote:It's not a 'longer stroke' Marc, it's a wider casting angle, too wide for the amount of line I may be casting.

Mike

Ps, if anyone can tell me how to get my edited clips off Picassa and onto Vimeo I would be really grateful, it's beginning to do my head in!!! :angry:
Online at Picasa?

You could either link us directly to those with the code on the right or download them and upload to Vimeo.
"You cannot step into the same river twice. In the flow of time, an opportunity lost is lost forever."
-Heraclitus

BetterLoops.com
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

OK Maybe my post went into cyberspace. As well as relocating the rod position between Casting Strokes, Drift "cushions" the rod after the stop. Me I think that's a good thing.

A huge step forward in my flycasting was learning to drift. Mel Krieger taught me this. As far as something to teach - awesome: that is a defining point for me.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Rocketroy
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Rocketroy »

Paul Arden wrote:OK Maybe my post went into cyberspace. As well as relocating the rod position between Casting Strokes, Drift "cushions" the rod after the stop. Me I think that's a good thing.

A huge step forward in my flycasting was learning to drift. Mel Krieger taught me this. As far as something to teach - awesome: that is a defining point for me.

Cheers, Paul

:O "Cushions the rod" describes what I was starting to type as in "reducing rebound or tip-flop",when the line reaches reversal.........Its also a thought of mine,that the act of drifting is an effective conscious timing device,as well as encouraging a "lead with the elbow"forward stroke,thus setting up a desirable late rotation! Especially effective in accuracy in the mid -range distances,where most of us live........just sayin,thats all, Rocketroy :O