PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

sinking lines

drummermajor
IB3 Member Level 1

sinking lines

Post by drummermajor »

When using a sinking line how do you know when the right amount of line is out of the water ready for casting when you cannot see the line. Do you mark the sinking line in some way.
Cheers Paul
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

The way I do it on stillwaters, Paul, is to lift the rod as I think I'm approaching the end and to strip in a little as I lift the rod - this way when end of the line appears there is line between the rod tip and water... I then lift the flies one by one and make a roll cast.

On rivers I find lifting the rod is a good way of not hooking up, especially with streamers. In that case I bring most of the line in and make a double roll cast, shooting line on the first roll. [This is known as the Tongariro Roll]

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Eric
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Eric »

Paul's method works really well, strip in close, slip line as you lift the rod to keep the leader out of the tip top, followed by some roll maneuver to get a bit more line out before you go for an overhead.

You can certainly mark your line, a little bead of UV glue works or a little ring/tube of colored heat shrink. These are easier to remove than a small knot of thread which can cut the coating.

But yes, can be tough with a full sink line, especially with a heavily weighted fly like a cone head bugger. Before your lift be sure the line is tight with rod straight down the line so your lift is most effective. Consider a shorter leader if a weighted fly is really keeping you down. If you lift and the fly/leader doesn't come up, fire out a hard roll then quickly lower the tip and strip in before it gets a chance to sink back down, the retry the lift. A few broad fast waggles of the tip can often pull the line / fly up to the surface (shake lift), again fire off a roll and or quick strip to get some slack line in before it sinks.

I don't fish full sinkers very often. Sink tips or shooting heads (integrated shooting head lines) can be very versatile and get to depth without having to deal with a lot of sinking line. Easier to gauge amount out with the transition between tip to belly or head to running line.

What type of fishing are you doing?
...the fish know this and are evil... ~marc