PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Research Project - Value of a Fish

Forum for discussing fisheries conservation and other environmental issues related to fish, wildlife, watersheds, and aquatic ecosystems.
Rich Knoles
flybitch 2008

Research Project - Value of a Fish

Post by Rich Knoles »

Has anyone been involved with a research project that has put a dollar value on a fish? Seems there isn't much that has been done. Looks like only Colorado and California have done this.

There are also some projects on specific species.

We all know that money talks, seems like these type of projects would bring to light the economic value of recreational fishing. Giving stakeholders a pretty big stick to wield.
mattklara
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by mattklara »

I've seen some data on how much it costs taxpayers and license holders to produce a single returning/caught hatchery salmon/steelhead and it is CRAZY. One helluva argument for wild fish management if you ask me.

I'll try to find that info.
Sign the petition supporting wild steelhead release on Oregon's Umpqua River system.

Sign The Petition Here

"What are the odds that Matt has a steelhead tattoo located somewhere on his body?" - joesnuffy
Nick
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Nick »

It's been done for bonefish and tarpon in Florida. I can't quite remember the figures, but they were out of this world.

The problem is that it's a non-linear relationship. i.e. if there's only one fish, nobody is going to go and fish for it, so its value is (potentially) zero.

If there are relatively few fish, and a few die-hard anglers who are all out to get them, then their value might be astronomical (i.e. bones in Florida, Atlantic salmon)

If, however, there are an ass-ton of fish and a massive number of anglers, the value of each individual fish might not be very high, even though the total value of the fishery is huge (largemouth bass!).

So, you need to put a value on the fishery itself, with modifiers for change of value with changes in fish numbers. I have actually heard the argument "we don't need to bother with conservation of these fish, because if there are fewer of them they are each worth more"!

N.
mattklara
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by mattklara »

Nick wrote:I have actually heard the argument "we don't need to bother with conservation of these fish, because if there are fewer of them they are each worth more"!

N.
Ugh.
Sign the petition supporting wild steelhead release on Oregon's Umpqua River system.

Sign The Petition Here

"What are the odds that Matt has a steelhead tattoo located somewhere on his body?" - joesnuffy