PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Grip relax - can a CA detect it

James9118
IB3 Member Level 1

Grip relax - can a CA detect it

Post by James9118 »

I've been practicing relaxing my grip immediately after the stop after reading about the benefits on S/L. It seems to work for me in producing 'pointy' loops but I was wondering if anyone has captured such a cast on an analyser?
gordonjudd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by gordonjudd »

James,
Tom posted some analyzer plots taken with a "normal" and "relaxed" grip throughout the cast
here.

The analyzer showed much more tip oscillations (or after-bounce as Phillips calls it) with a relaxed grip.

Gordy
"Flyfishing: 200 years of tradition unencumbered by progress." Ralph Cutter
James9118
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by James9118 »

Gordy,

Many thanks for that. Is the time base constant for the graphs and, if so, do you know what it is?

Cheers, James
Tom
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Tom »

Hi James.
Take a look at this.This is the output from the sensor.
This is not a true or a real cast,the sensor is mounted to
a stick,just for the purpose to look at the output signal
when using a relaxed grip just after the stop or not.
The relaxed grip is at 3 and 4 period.
http://picasaweb.google.no/Superra....0733378

Tom.
Tom
Lasse Karlsson
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

gordonjudd wrote:The analyzer showed much more tip oscillations (or after-bounce as Phillips calls it) with a relaxed grip.

Gordy
Hi Gordon

Wouldn't that be butt oscillations since the gyro is fixed there? so the tip should be more still instead (which is what I can observe on high speed video)

With the firm death grip, the oscillations would happen in the tip creating the waves we don't like in the rod leg :)

Cheers
Lasse

Ps. working on something for the wind resistance thread, sorry I haven't had time to respond on it, just saw your post there :blush:
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Gone.....
Tom
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Tom »

Tom
James9118
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by James9118 »

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the links. Is there any chance I can get hold of the raw data in .txt, .csv or equivalent format? Either the broomstick or a real cast would be good.

Cheers, James.
gordonjudd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by gordonjudd »

Wouldn't that be butt oscillations since the gyro is fixed there? so the tip should be more still instead (which is what I can observe on high speed video)

Lasse,
To make definitive conclusions on this you would need some video measurements to see what is going on with tip oscillations and how that effects the angular velocity measured at the butt.

But, just as the wrist is not stiff enough to prevent the butt from rotating forward as the rod tip returns from counterflex (and shows up as in the rebound hump), I think tip oscillations are also going to produce angular velocity variations that can be measured at the butt as well.

With the firm death grip, the oscillations would happen in the tip creating the waves we don't like in the rod leg

I am just going on my own experience in using the analyzer with Bruce Richards and for me when I had waves in the rod leg it showed up as oscillations in the analyzer data.

When he had me firm up my grip after the stop the oscillations on the analyzer were reduced and the waves in the rod leg went away.

As noted in this post I realize this may not be in line with other people's results, but Bruce had me firm up my grip to get rid of tip oscillations rather than relaxing it more.

Tom's data in that thread would also say that the oscillations are larger for a relaxed grip.

Gordy
"Flyfishing: 200 years of tradition unencumbered by progress." Ralph Cutter
Lasse Karlsson
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Gordon

I really need to try a real analyser, I had different observations with a homemade one, hope Bruce brings one at the conclave :-)

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Gone.....
Tom
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Tom »

James9118 wrote:Hi Tom,

Thanks for the links. Is there any chance I can get hold of the raw data in .txt, .csv or equivalent format? Either the broomstick or a real cast would be good.

Cheers, James.

Hi James.
Sorry,the raw data/output signal from the sensor was
not stored for the previous example. :blush:
If you think this example is of any interest,I can
send you the raw data/output signal from the sensor
sampled with the Analyzer.Just let me know and I
will send you an E-mail.
As Gordy says,we need to know what`s going on
with the tip.
Sorry for not using a rod and a true cast this time.
Next time,I could use the EX-F1 camera,and connect
the sensor with both the Analyzer and the Scope.
Anyway,here`s the clip:
http://www.youtube.com/user/SuperRattus#p/a/u/0/TKJgG10hmYc
Here`s the Analyzer result:
http://picasaweb.google.no/Superra....6397986

Tom.
Tom
wjc
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by wjc »

Hi Gordon,

That is a very interesting graph and report from actual casting. Were the waves from the oscillations caused by the relaxing of the grip after the stop causing noticeable problems with the cast?

From looking at the graph, I'd have thought the same as Lasse, though I have never even tried an analyser.

If I am reading it correctly, the death grip cast has a magnitude of approximately 1 3/4 units over a time span of less than 1/2 a time unit.

But the relaxed cast has a magnitude of approximately 1 1/4 units over a time period of 3/4 a time unit.

In other words the relaxed cast is consideral less violent over a considerably longer time frame.

I would have thought that to be a good thing.

I will have to play around with a rod when the wind quits blowing and see what death grip loops look like too. :D

Well, I am obviously not reading any of that graph right, so forget all the above. :(

Cheers,
Jim