PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Top TIps - Tips from the guides...

NZneil
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by NZneil »

Wear a hat and sun glasses. Oh ..and dont listen to Chris, just go fishing!
Nothing more boring than an expert that never fails.. - Saltflyer
flyfishfairwx
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by flyfishfairwx »

The secret to fly fishing is to Fly fish were the fish are and fly fish often..
As in the army I have never had a bad day fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable ones but never a bad one.
Everybody must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Tying and believe I will
A member of the order of the Odonata
Vice-President of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing CANADA
jacktrout
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by jacktrout »

1+ technique :)

and make sure you don't put wet flies back into your box, dry em first
mattklara
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by mattklara »

For beginners who get frustrated by trying to get their fly line and leader out the rod tip at the beginning of a session.

"The damned thing is snagged in the rod tip again! Grrrr."

Don't panic.

Unhook the fly from the hook keeper.

Drop it into the water.

If this is a river, great, it will float downstream.

Point the rod tip down the line (downstream).

Strip line off the reel.

In fast current the water will pull the line and leader knot out through the rod tip for you.

In slow current or still water, strip out about 3-4 feet and then drag the rod tip through the water in an arch, keeping the tip under water. This creates artificial current and pulls the line out for you just the same.
Sign the petition supporting wild steelhead release on Oregon's Umpqua River system.

Sign The Petition Here

"What are the odds that Matt has a steelhead tattoo located somewhere on his body?" - joesnuffy
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

The more often you fish the better you'll get (at least while you're learning).

I think you're always learning - at least I hope so! There's a hell of a lot of stuff I haven't worked out yet and I'm planning to figure out at least some of it...

Don't fart in your waders after a big night on Palinka.
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
andy_with_a_rod
BBBB Nr 4!

Post by andy_with_a_rod »

im no guide, but something i picked up from dry fly fishing really helps me. instead of watching your fly on the water, concentrate on the water your fly is floating over. you might see a fish come half way to refuse that you may not have noticed before. and it certainly gives you more time to spot a taking fish coming, get nervous and fuck up the strike cos you spot the fish coming earlier.
"God's always with me;
standing beside me with his big black dick."

Paul Arden.
mattklara
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by mattklara »

Good one Andy.

Similarly, when you are sight fishing, don't look at the water, look through the water. And don't look for whole fish. Look for suggestions of parts of fish - motion, shadows, a fin, the white of a mouth.

Easier said than done.
Sign the petition supporting wild steelhead release on Oregon's Umpqua River system.

Sign The Petition Here

"What are the odds that Matt has a steelhead tattoo located somewhere on his body?" - joesnuffy
Daniel
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Daniel »

mattklara wrote:Good one Andy.

Similarly, when you are sight fishing, don't look at the water, look through the water. And don't look for whole fish. Look for suggestions of parts of fish - motion, shadows, a fin, the white of a mouth.

Easier said than done.
Good advice Matt. Especially apt for bonefishing in my opinion.

Or for people fishing in the UK. Dont look for a whole shopping trolley, keep a look out for a wheel or maybe a handle. The river is more than likely so full of shit you wont spot a whole one. Also car tyres and traffic cones are worth looking for although the latter are usually easier to spot. :p
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

I find that spotting fish in rivers is about reading the water first, then I know where to look.

It's such an incredibly wide topic, if we seriously want to do this then we need to break it down into manageable chunks. Personally I think the best advice is to go fishing, become obsessed by it, find yourself divorced, master nymphing, spend all your money on drugs, rods and alcohol, get fired from your job, take up flytying, have your family dis-own you, get casting lessons from Paul Arden, borrow money from your remaining friends and relatives, learn to tie bimini twists... but all this stuff just happens in due course anyway.

How about we break it down and start with river trout fishing in a new topic? It could be entertaining and we'll probably all learn something or other.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Trevlett
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Trevlett »

Paul Arden wrote:Personally I think the best advice is to go fishing, become obsessed by it, find yourself divorced, master nymphing, spend all your money on drugs, rods and alcohol, get fired from your job, take up flytying, have your family dis-own you, get casting lessons from Paul Arden, borrow money from your remaining friends and relatives, learn to tie bimini twists...
Have you been reading my diary? :???:
"because you followed the misguided advice of a Scotsman whilst chipping the chalkstreams of England" - Mark Stoats
Snake Pliskin
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Snake Pliskin »

How about we break it down and start with river trout fishing in a new topic? It could be entertaining and we'll probably all learn something or other.

Good call!
andy_with_a_rod
BBBB Nr 4!

Post by andy_with_a_rod »

is this new thread my responsibility again?!
"God's always with me;
standing beside me with his big black dick."

Paul Arden.
pyko
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by pyko »

Paul Arden wrote:I find that spotting fish in rivers is about reading the water first, then I know where to look.

It's such an incredibly wide topic, if we seriously want to do this then we need to break it down into manageable chunks. Personally I think the best advice is to go fishing, become obsessed by it, find yourself divorced, master nymphing, spend all your money on drugs, rods and alcohol, get fired from your job, take up flytying, have your family dis-own you, get casting lessons from Paul Arden, borrow money from your remaining friends and relatives, learn to tie bimini twists... but all this stuff just happens in due course anyway.

Cheers, Paul
:D :D

Good idea.
But maybe just concentrate on the fishing side of it Paul.
You can observe a lot just by watching.
Yogi Berra
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Everything comes down to flyfishing at some level :p

OK, I'll start a new thread!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
victor
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by victor »

It's such an incredibly wide topic, if we seriously want to do this then we need to break it down into manageable chunks. Personally I think the best advice is to go fishing, become obsessed by it, find yourself divorced, master nymphing, spend all your money on drugs, rods and alcohol, get fired from your job, take up flytying, have your family dis-own you, get casting lessons from Paul Arden, borrow money from your remaining friends and relatives, learn to tie bimini twists...

Ok, let's start with divorce....and work our way through to penury.

Mike
it's casting Jim, but not as we know it, according to EFFA

http://michaelheritage.wordpress.com/