PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Tackleshop & casting instructor - help a buddy....

Gilgamesh
IB3 Member Level 1

Tackleshop & casting instructor - help a buddy....

Post by Gilgamesh »

Hi

I have a young friend working in London for a while and he recently decided to give fly fishing another try.....

Some recommendations on tackleshops and some brands in the "dirt cheap" range would be very welcome. :D

Quite frankly dirt cheap fly tackle locally is still pretty expensive compared to a similar weight of graphite in spinning tackle format, and over here I know a few brands that are relatively good quality.........no idea what's available in the UK on the same level.

My buddy is actually a shit-hot fisherman and represented our country in artificial lure comps a few times, he's had a flyrod and cast a bit, but it was a nasty old Daiwa rod and it didn't take.

I've also strongly recommended that he get some casting lessons, and some recommendations again in the dirt cheap range would be welcome :D :D

Exchange rates are a bitch :p :p

Thanks

Gerhard
There is magic in it. Let the most absent-minded of men be plunged in his deepest reveries - stand that man on his legs, set his feet a-going, and he will infallibly lead you to water, if water there be in all that region.
Snake Pliskin
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Snake Pliskin »

I'd be happy to help. PM sent!
Gilgamesh
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Gilgamesh »

Hi Steve

Thanks, knock some sense into him when he comes for the lessons - try to convince a noob that flyfishing does not require you to own every tying material known to man....including peruvian mountain goat bollock hairs! :D

Thanks
Gerhard
There is magic in it. Let the most absent-minded of men be plunged in his deepest reveries - stand that man on his legs, set his feet a-going, and he will infallibly lead you to water, if water there be in all that region.