PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Starter kit

Eric
IB3 Member Level 1

Starter kit

Post by Eric »

Got a new group starting soonish and want to square up some things, make sure everything's current. Also wouldn't mind a discussion that won't get all creeped out, so since "what do I need?" is such a favorite first question...

What are the basics? (small/medium river and lakes, trout)
Rod (#4-6, 8.5 to 9.5') and reel (line holder)
floating line (WF, DT)
9' leader, 6 or 8 LB
Tippet 4 or 5 LB
Few general flies
glasses/hat
nippers/forceps or equivalent
floatant
net
license

Suggested
polaroids
fly box
pack/vest
waders/boots
indicators/weights

Splurge
sink tip
waterproof camera
tube/fins
water-proof bag
underwear ~paul
...the fish know this and are evil... ~marc
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

hi Eric !

please put the net in the 'essentials' kit !
t.z.
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by t.z. »

Why a WF line? For some funky reason had a xxd (now MED) as one of my frst lines after havng started with DT`s years ago. To me that long belly of the MED essentially worked like a DT of some sort in fishing situations ... whenever I got the short bellied stuff of friends in my hands I was lost with mending line etc. ... so I`d advise a DT for a beginner. Much easier to understand.

Add fishing license too. Often forgotten. ;-)
a mind is a like a parachute - it doesn´t work when not open (Frank Zappa)
Eric
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Eric »

Marc,
Why do you consider a net an essential? Because beginners aren't aware of fish handling? 1 net per group?

Thomas,
Sure, can change it to just floater (any type)
t.z.
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by t.z. »

Eric wrote:Marc,
Why do you consider a net an essential? Because beginners aren't aware of fish handling? 1 net per group?

Thomas,
Sure, can change it to just floater (any type)
I think the length of the usable line is important.

Fishing is casting and mending. We, as we mostly use proper lines are not aware of the havok a 9m or less bellied line creates for a poor fellow just starting with fishing and trying to mend line, let alone deal with overhang etc.

Fab list by the way.
a mind is a like a parachute - it doesn´t work when not open (Frank Zappa)
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

Eric wrote:Why do you consider a net an essential? Because beginners aren't aware of fish handling? 1 net per group?

excitement, clumsiness, as you say lack of fish handling experience, etc, etc, etc. it most often leads to some sort of damage to the fish.
it doesn't matter whether they're C+R or not. everyone catches fish that are too small to legally keep and it's up to us to teach people how to do this properly. it's best to start with good habits from the beginning !
one net per fisher, the buddy's always on the other side of the water or whatever.

cheers,
marc
Eric
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Eric »

How much do you talk respect for stream / lake / fish? (litter, only footprints, wild creatures). Analogy to handling wild birds that get caught inside seems to convey the panic and care in handling.
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

A little bit, not much because most people who want to take up FF are already environmentally conscious. I do talk about safety and drum in the importance of eye protection, river crossings, electric pylons on so on.

Raincoat, proper clothing, sunscreen. There is a similar list here for stillwaters.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
blackwater
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by blackwater »

Maybe put floatant(Gink) in the suggested box. Always handy when beginners are sinking their dry flies when lifting them off the water.

Also depends where you are fishing but things like insect repellant, small first aid kit.
Djordje
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Djordje »

From my way:

Two pieces of (rope, thread, string, twine I do not know right word in English) in pocket for making knots, usually in different colors. It is easier

for explain: red is your line...green is you leader...now we will...
Barrio Pro-Team
FFF MCI, THCI
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Underpants, Eric. In the "Splurge" category.
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

Eric wrote:How much do you talk respect for stream / lake / fish? (litter, only footprints, wild creatures). Analogy to handling wild birds that get caught inside seems to convey the panic and care in handling.

a lot. although what Paul points out about being environmentally conscious is sometimes correct but it's unfortunately not as common as we'd wish. i've seen countless fly fishers from beginners to old timers act like pigs, throwing all sorts of shit in the water and on land, throw fish back any which way, yank out barbed hooks, start camp fires when forbidden, etc, etc.

i like the bird 'caught inside' analogy. in the explanation maybe we need to include that fishes are slimy :D

cheers,
marc
easterncaster
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by easterncaster »

Eric wrote:How much do you talk respect for stream / lake / fish? (litter, only footprints, wild creatures). Analogy to handling wild birds that get caught inside seems to convey the panic and care in handling.

on a related note:

etiquette, etiquette, etiquette...

treat others as you would like to be treated, or better.
mattklara
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by mattklara »

Eric, I think that this should be front and center and discussed MORE than any other topic.

The new area (post Movie) of fly fishing lacks, IMO, one main thing that the old era had. In the past you learned FFing from a mentor that you fished with all the time and learned the stream etiquitte from them. There was no rush. In the new world of learning FFing from guides and the internet all focused on catching fish, this critical component has been diminished or reduced to a point or two at the end of the talk.

As ambassadors of FFing, it's our job to turn that around.

mk
Sign the petition supporting wild steelhead release on Oregon's Umpqua River system.

Sign The Petition Here

"What are the odds that Matt has a steelhead tattoo located somewhere on his body?" - joesnuffy