PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Roll Casting

Lasse Karlsson
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Frank LoPresti wrote:
Lasse Karlsson wrote:Hi Frank

You have casts on the CI test that will not be passed.
And there's candidates out there using your site as reference only to find out that what they have practiced is not allowed.

Cheers
Lasse
Lasse,

And guess what ? No one has ever failed an exam on account of those casts on the site. I suspect no one ever will either. So while I appreciate your concern and value your opinion the rest is unfounded.

Best,
Frank

P.S. I'm quite a bit more concerned about what some potential CI's and MCI's are gleaning from SL about casting mechanics and tip paths. I'd be really more concerned about that right now.
Hi Frank

How do you actually know that?

I know that I have been fortunate enough for some candidates to ask before testing to catch the mistakes. But I have no idea about all the other candidates out there testing every year...

As for your Ps, is it what you are writing about those subjects that you are afraid the potential CI and MCI's will glean or some others writing?

Cheers
LAsse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Gone.....
Frank LoPresti
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Frank LoPresti »

Hi Lasse,

How do I actually know that no one has every failed the roll cast portion of the CI exam from having watched the videos on the site ? I suppose I would have heard something after 6 years but I have not. It's simply another source for potential instructors to use, one of many. That and I don't think anyone learns to roll cast efficiently from a video or a book. That and I would imagine that you could not say for certain that anyone learns to roll cast looking at one video. As falsely flattering as that is be I doubt with a high degree probability, that would ever be the case.

My concern in my PS is that potential instructors who come to this site understand what influences tip path as it goes to loop formation from a basic mechanical stand point.

My concern is that a potential instructor goes to an exam and begins to speak of how translation controls the path of the rod tip. Or that it is possible to creep and somehow not tail the loop. Or that by controlling how the rod is translated that you control the the path of the rod tip as it goes to loop size be it wide or narrow.

Certainly you can affect tip path by default by lengthening the casting arc. However, that line of reasoning negates the major influence on tip path as it goes angular acceleration, and the size of the casting arc over which that angular acceleration is applied which is of paramount importance in any discussion having to do with tip path as it goes to loop formation.

What's missing in the translational argument as it goes to tip path is that translation alone does not bend the rod that much and it's effect tip path is nil. Unless that is your casting a nice narrow loop and you then simply lengthen the arc, the tip path will rise, and why will it rise ?

Or conversely your throwing a nice narrow loop and you simply decrease the length of the casting arc and the top path will dip, why will it dip ? Arguing the quick fix to that by lengthening the size of the arc is not addressing the underlying cause of the problem. The quick fix ma,y in the short term, fix the problem temporarily but it will not "fix" anyones understanding of what the underlying problem is in the long run.

This line of reasoning as it goes to translation is arguing from effect, not cause. That's my concern about what some readers may or may be picking up here as it goes to translation and the path of the rod tip as it goes, or should I say, does not go loop formation.

Cheers,

Frank
I would have a major effect on how I train instructors.
Paul Arden
Dave the Jackal
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Dave the Jackal »

Dave the Jackal wrote:Hi Frank et al

Could you post a link to the demos referred to please? Many thanks

Not-Really-Dave
Dear all

Could somebody help me please regarding this website -- all I get is a blank page. Any ideas? Thanks.

Not-Really-Dave
Ben_D
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Ben_D »