PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Near constant acceleration.

Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Near constant acceleration.

Post by Paul Arden »

"The Casting Stroke starts off with near constant acceleration" - and I assume you mean rotational.

Now as you'll know Frank, there are very few examples of casts with constant acceleration, and none that I'm aware of that actually begin with constant acceleration, and there are thousands of examples of non constant acceleration.

But I'm not interested in that right now. What I want to you is can you tell by watching someone when his CS begins using your model and if so, how?

Thanks, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Frank LoPresti
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Frank LoPresti »

Paul Arden wrote:What I want to you is can you tell by watching someone when his CS begins using your model and if so, how?

Thanks, Paul
What I want you to do, is to begin make sense. Unless you can do that much, I have nothing further to say.

Frank
I would have a major effect on how I train instructors.
Paul Arden
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Sorry iPhone! So the CS begins with near constant acceleration in your model. Can you tell by looking at soneone when they start rotating the rod with constant acceleration, Frank?

Flycasting Definitions
Frank LoPresti
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Frank LoPresti »

Can you tell me how long any stroke was, or the size of the casting arc or the timing of the stroke or how long it took the line to unroll by just looking at the caster ? Can you tell me when the cast ended and by the way when does the cast actually end ? Can you tell me where we would all be without a calendar or a watch. Can you tell me how much air is in a hot air ballon when it is fully inflated.
Paul Arden
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

So is that a no?

Flycasting Definitions
Frank LoPresti
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Frank LoPresti »

I think it's a little bit of both. If you know what to look for and I assume you do, you can make a pretty fair assumption that what you are looking at is slow sustained angular rod rotation. Assuming that a nice loop forms the assumption is that the acceleration is graduated right out of the gate, not slow and sustained.
Paul Arden
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

You can't possibly be telling me that you can pick the start of the CS by looking at the loop. Is that how you do it when you cast?

Flycasting Definitions
Frank LoPresti
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Frank LoPresti »

I think it's fair to say that by judging the shape of the loop you can make some pretty educated guesses as to how the rod hand accelerated the rod butt. We know that certain motions will not form a loop, that is a given. We also know that certain motions will form a loop, that is a given as well. Motions that go to loop formation or not begin when the rod moves in the direction of the cast. I don't need to pick out exactly to a fraction of a second or less as to when they started I need to understand how they started. By looking at the result in the loop you can make some pretty educated guesses as to how those motions started out accelerating or continued accelerating and or decelerated for that matter. But no I can't tell you when the rod specifically stopped within a micro second, only that it decelerated at some point and or more importantly how it was decelerated by looking at the loop.
Paul Arden
Frank LoPresti
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Frank LoPresti »

Paul Arden wrote:You can't possibly be telling me that you can pick the start of the CS by looking at the loop. Is that how you do it when you cast?

What's, when the stroke starts, got to do with anything ? It's how, not when.
Paul Arden
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Well it always starts the same way in your model - ie with near constant acceleration.

But this really is a discussion about how we know when this is happening. You look at the loop - it's "nice and clean" - and then go backwards in time and work out when the CS actually started. Fascinating.

What do you do if it's not a nice clean loop?

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Frank LoPresti
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Frank LoPresti »

Paul Arden wrote:Well it always starts the same way in your model - ie with near constant acceleration.

Well that is the start of a good stroke is it not ? That's what I want my casters to know.

Maybe in your mind this a discussion about when the stroke starts, but when the stroke starts essentially brings nothing to the table.

The only real practical answer to your question is that the CS should start when it starts, and ideally that should be about when the line turns over from the previous cast and that goes to timing. How it starts is the real deal.
Paul Arden
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

How do you know how it starts if you don't know when it starts? :???:

Flycasting Definitions
Frank LoPresti
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Frank LoPresti »

Beats me. My guess would be when I see the rod hand rotate in the direction of the coming cast ?
Paul Arden
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

That's your separation between Creep and CS?

Flycasting Definitions
Frank LoPresti
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Frank LoPresti »

No, that's simply when the rod rotates in the direction of the cast
Paul Arden