PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Fly replacement

stevie d
IB3 Member Level 1

Fly replacement

Post by stevie d »

What do you guys use in place of a fly for casting practice/competition?I use a piece of wool doubled over and often turnover is poor with this.Is there a better solution ?I realise that my casting technique will be at fault as well but also wanted to know what the prefered fly replacement is.
Steve.
Lasse Karlsson
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Stevie

It depends on the competition, most distance comps use only a piece of fluff (wool or eggyarn) a few a hackled fly with the hookbend clipped of. Most accuracy comp's use the hackled fly with hookbend cliped of a few a piece of fluff.

Most competitions also have requirements as to what thickness leader/tippet are to be used.

Best thing is to look at the requirements for the competitions you are looking to practice for, and use something similar.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Gone.....
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

It could also be a problem with the leader, Steve. In fact this is more likely. I use 9ft RIO trout leaders to ten pounds, but there are plenty of guys who are very particular about their leaders - especially so in the accuracy games.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
stevie d
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by stevie d »

Paul Arden wrote:It could also be a problem with the leader, Steve. In fact this is more likely. I use 9ft RIO trout leaders to ten pounds, but there are plenty of guys who are very particular about their leaders - especially so in the accuracy games.

Cheers, Paul
These leaders are 10lbs at the point yes?,will have to look into leader set up more closely.