PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Polarised Sunglasses

Bowside
IB3 Member Level 1

Polarised Sunglasses

Post by Bowside »

I have always used cheap shades, mainly due to previous accidents involving me sitting, standing & dropping things on them.

I've decided to splash some cash on a decent pair. Maui Jims, Oakleys or Costa ? Any advice, pros / cons would be appriciated.
JAT
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by JAT »

costa del mar glass 580's all the way by far and away the best ive used, not cheap but well worth it
Rich Knoles
flybitch 2008

Post by Rich Knoles »

You can skip the Oakley's. The rest you've mentioned are all good glasses. I've worn Smith/Action Optics for about 10 years. Wearing Costa 580's now because Action Optics quit making my preferred style.
You'll need to cough up some more info on where and what you're fishing for so we can discuss lens color.

If you keep them on your head you won't sit on them.
Jeroen
BBBB No5

Post by Jeroen »

I swear by Habers. Extremely good lenses at a silly prices. A friend of mine is an optometrist. He checked the lenses of my Haber Bellagio in grey/blue mirror and copper rose, and compared them to my Costas with 580 lenses (grey/blue mirror). The light emitting values (might have the terminology wrong) of the Haber Corelex lenses were better than those of my Costas. He told me that the lenses were among the best he had tested.
The only drawback with Habers is that you have to buy them online and they have to fit you. It is best to talk to one of the people to see which shades match your head size and shape.

I agree with Rich for the Oakleys. They are great frames and I love to use them as cycling shades. But I have yet to find a lens that doesn't scratch when you look at it. I have tried Oakley's polarised grey/blue mirror and copper lens.

Cheers,
Jeroen
Ben_D
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Ben_D »

Totally agree re Oakleys, they scratch far too easily but the lenses are pretty good. I have deep blues & shallow blues both of which are excellent.

I have broken too many pairs of shades to blow any serious wedge on any more, currently using Vision X-Spiders with a yellow lens. THese are perfect for most freshwater fishing in most conditions in Scotland, suprisingly good even when conditions seem too bright for yellow.

Cheers

Ben
Harps
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Harps »

I love my Maui Jims... Broke a pair and had them fixed. They broke again (the style with no hing on the arm was a bad idea) so I bought 2 different pairs (grey and rose tint) with the hinge.
No problems with those for a few years now.

The lenses are excellent and they fit my face and head very well (and I can tuck the arms into my hat without any pain). I pretty much wear them from the second I step outside to after the sun goes down.
"Hippies smell better Naked."
Haggisboy
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Haggisboy »

I have a pair of Smith Passage Techlite copper mirrors and they are great even on overcast days. They are photochromic too, but not so dark that its an issue. very light for glass, awesome clarity. Best thing is you can pick them up on sale at many places as the style is discontinued.

Best pair of fish spotters I ever owned.
Bowside
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bowside »

Thanks, oh yeah, I should have said they're for Trout fishing only. Mainly rivers.
Harps
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Harps »

http://www.sexyloops.com/picofday/harps/monster.shtml

That's the colour I like best for trout streams.... Had copper and and grey and "brown" lenses before, but I like this one the best.
"Hippies smell better Naked."
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

The copper/bronze lenses I find best for spotting in NZ rivers. I actually like the Oakleys. The design is good because if you drop them they won't necessarily scratch because the lenses are set back from the frame. They weren't good on the salt flats.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Jono Shales
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Jono Shales »

Smith for me thanks. I wear the Moguls which have the polarchromic lense. Scratch proof lenses, yes completely scratch proof - not one scratch, not one mark, nothing, the lense is as good as new.

Been using the copper lense constantly for the past few years and couldn't imagine using anything else.
Haggisboy
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Haggisboy »

Agree with Jono's comments above RE Scratchproof(see earlier post), I think I can almost see in to the future with mine, they are excellent.
Jono Shales
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Jono Shales »

Sunglasses go through hell. Saltwater, sunscreen, sand, being dropped, stretched across the head, dinged with flies, rubbed clean with dirty shirts ..

The Smiths are bulletproof.

http://www.smithoptics.com/uploads....ing.jpg
Gary
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Gary »

look good Jono,
can you get presciption for us "years of experience" anglers :) ?

Was looking at Spotters, then thought, I could pony-up for another Nautilus reel for that sort of cash

Most of my fishing is "blind" casting anyway :)
Regards,
Gary
sms
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by sms »

Any idea what the sizing means on Smiths?
For example:
Frame Measurements 59-18-125
I'm here just for the chicks.

President of The Village Idiots of Vantaa Rapids
President of The Casting Federation of Finland

-Sakke