PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

2011 - Event 9 World Champion........

Dung Fly
IB3 Member Level 1

2011 - Event 9 World Champion........

Post by Dung Fly »

Is Colin Howlett, UK.
Old Fart
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Old Fart »

King of the 18 gram again.Anything else of note happen over the week?
Terry
John Waters
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by John Waters »

Great result for Gold Medallist Colin Howlett and UK . I hope all members of the UK casting and fishing fraternity get behind your Casting Team and its Program not only for the remainder of 2011, but for 2012 and beyond.
It was also great to see Wlodek Targosz, Poland win the 2011 World Championship Gold Medal in the Single Handed Fly Distance Event.
I showed some video of Wlodek's technique and discussed his technique and coaching fundamentals at the Aussie Gathering this year and stated that I thought Wlodek was the most technically correct caster in the World today. I was rapt to see him win the Gold this week. Great result.
Congratulations to all Competitors, Medallists and Organisers and can only reiterate my congratulations to Colin and Andy.
Well done fellas, back it up in 2012.

John
Dung Fly
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Dung Fly »

John,
Thanks for the kind words of encouragement. I'm not sure that casting the T38 or the T120 is liked by the 5 & 7weight brigade. :???:

It's like everything, if you never try it and experience a true World Champiopnships - you can only wonder.

Keep in touch and see you in Tallin next August.
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Great! Congratulations Colin! How did you fare, Andy? Did you have a fun week? Any chances to fish?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Dung Fly
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Dung Fly »

Not much time to fish though there was plenty of water close by.

Managed a credible 50.10m on the T38 in a windless, hot (~28C+) & humid day.

A very well run Championships with some results that went against the usual patten :???:

Next year will have better preparation ;)
Dung Fly
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Dung Fly »

Single handed Fly Distance Final - http://www.youtube.com/user....bFDn9Ag

Double handed Fly Mens Final - http://www.youtube.com/user....eEMGrXg
John Waters
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by John Waters »

No worries Andy, Tallin it is, am already looking forward to it. Hope it is early August, may be a tad cool if they hold it in last week. It was great to see that Kenji got to the WCs, Croatia was the poorer with his absence. I hope Kenji is starting a casting dynasty :D . Great to see father and son. I was rapt to see Heinz win the overall, we had his son visit us for three weeks in July and he sure is a "chip off the old block". It sure was an interesting Teams result. I would have put money on a Czech, Polish, Germany Team result but not in the order. :???:

See you both next year,

John

PS That's why I call them the Men's Event :D
Old Fart
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Old Fart »

Nice clear vids,good job.In the T38 most of the casters seem to shoot after one false cast,is there a reason for this? While I'm here I'm looking for T36 and/or T38 rods or blanks.Thanks.
Terry
Terry
John Waters
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by John Waters »

Hi Terry,

Two primary reasons, false casting just chews up time and increases fatigue.

John
Old Fart
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Old Fart »

I can see the time eating in the final but I've talked myself into just 4 casts whether qualifying or in the final(BIG LOL) on the assumption that only one "good" cast is needed in both (says the 56year over weight chain smoker). I do feel a bit pooped after 38 and 120 but I've put that down to my healthy lifestyle!
I may soon have all the practice time necessary rather than a few cast before a comp.Next year tho' I will be casting ICSF along with Andy and Colin.

Terry
Terry
John Waters
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by John Waters »

That's great Terry, I wish you all the best with the ICSF events. It is good to experience the extremes, and both the 38 gram and the 120 gram events are certainly at the extreme end of fly casting. Four false casts are fine but one or two are better. If my backcast isn't right on the fourth, I put the line down and start again, rather than persevere and hope the fifth or sixth is the money cast. I read this Forum with interest and I hope the UK fields Teams in both the ICSF World Championships next year and the ICSF Fly Casting with Fly Fishing Gear in 2012 (if conducted). I'd like to see the same from Australia but won't hold my breath.

John
Old Fart
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Old Fart »

Oooops, my grammar is failing.When I mean 4 casts just4 launches.If the back loop is good then launch forward,if not flop it in front or behind and have a breather,look around you,look at trees or bushes behind for clues on wind,that sort of thing.
Terry
Dung Fly
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Dung Fly »

John, it's looking like late August again, which might not be too bad as it was a tad warm last week in Hluboka nad Vltavou.

3 things I learnt this year

1 - If your fly line gets 'pig tails' it needs to be adjusted

2 - Don't try making changes to your style/technique when on the platform, 6/7mins isn't long enough to add/change things.

3 - Take things away and practice, not in your head but on a field and video it.
John Waters
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by John Waters »

Good advice Andy,

John