PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Rod twist

VoodooChild
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by VoodooChild »

Thanks for the link Grordy.
I was thinking more of a 90 degree wrap so the effective spine of all the sections remain oriented on the back of the assembled rod while the guides rotate out. This as an attempt to accomplish the same effect as assembling the rod with sections rotated at some angle to each other. I was also thinking this would be more for pure casting rods, not for fighting fish.
Best
-Marshall
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
xyl
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by xyl »

Hi guys,

We've been there before. I still don't think that haul lockup happens due to the use of snake wire guides or any other guide that keeps the line close to the blank for that matter. If one looks closely at the way the tensioned line goes through the guides of a deeply bent rod and actually passes behind the blank it should be pretty obvious that there must be a lot of friction involved. I can't see the line getting jammed anywhere, there's just a lot of contact and pressure between line, blank and guides.
For me haul lockup (like almost totally jammed) only really happens when distance casting with long carries, which is why i think that it's directly related to rod bend. This would mean that the upper rod sections are the most critical ones and since turning the guides to the side so that the line can't touch the blank at all is the best cure for the lockup, it might render a conventional spiral wrap useless regarding this problem. So far twisting the top 3 sections 90 degrees in (toward me) seems to be the best way to avoid the lock up and this is what i'm doing for fishing too. Never split a ferrule that way either which probably only means that i need to practice more (at all :blush: ).
Furthermore i never get haul lockup with monofilament shooting lines while some lines lock up all the time, especially when untreated. Maybe line characteristics are important too?
Attachments
line_friction.jpg
line_friction.jpg (46.5 KiB) Viewed 1041 times
Svend

Leave no trace.