PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Beer building - Anyone brew?

Haggisboy
IB3 Member Level 1

Beer building - Anyone brew?

Post by Haggisboy »

Just seeing if anyone brews their own beer here.

Me and a couple of dudes are in the process of building our own nano brewery which should keep me entertained over the winter months. Basically we will be able to brew about 50L at a time. We have serious plans for serious brews, I just hope we can match them when it comes to the practical part.

All the fittings are on order. Its gonna be fun. I was lucky enough to receive hops from my favourite brewery in Albuquerque NM as the first beer we are going to make is an American style IPA.

Anyway, anyone here make there own beer?

Campbell
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Got any photos? :p

I used to, a long time ago. I had to stop however when about ten bottles exploded one night! May start again :)

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
scotty9
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by scotty9 »

Campbell if you need a tester all you need to do is yell :D
morten61
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by morten61 »

Hi all
While this certainly have to do with 'beer' it is hardly of the type one can create in the civilised world.

I have lived i Saudi Arabia, where beer, hops, malt and (above all) alcohol is forbidden (haram).
This is obviously not going to stop anybody from drinking, but at 250 US$ for 24 Heineken one had to be creative.

We made beer out of malt beverages (Holstein as I recall) filled into a 100 ltr. wastebin, sugar and baking yeast added (and 2 Lipton tea bags for whatever reason). Leave to ferment for 6-8 days depending on temperature in the room (usually spare bathroom, easy for the maid to clean, when something went wrong).
Bottle in re-closable bottles with a quarter teaspoon of sugar to ensure a little bubbles in the final brew. Crucial to err on the low side, otherwise scars in the face is a very real posibility (number of facial scars confirmed a veteran of the mid east).

As indicated initially, this has nothing to do with serious beer making, but it has surely saved quite a few parties.

Good luck on your project.

Morten
Crackaig
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Crackaig »

When I was out in the middle east the supermarket had plastic dustbins, grape juice (In the resealable bottles), alcohol free beer, bakers yeast, and sugar lined up by the checkout.

There was also Sid made, but the less said about that the better.

Cheers,
C.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical
minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd
by the clean end"
Haggisboy
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Haggisboy »

Paul, Basically it will be a budget/garage built version of this without any pumps. All Gravity fed.

Campbell

Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Christ! I just brewed in a plastic bin!
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Haggisboy
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Haggisboy »

Well, that's like showing you a ferrari when I am actually driving a fiesta. There will be two big metal pots like that for boiling and a converted 10gallon cool box for a mashtun. When I get the connections and get it together I will post real photos... it will look nothing like the picture I posted.... :p
pyko
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by pyko »

I'm sure it'll be great Campbell, just remember your pals when it comes to the tastings...
;)
Attachments
moonshine_still_photo.jpg
moonshine_still_photo.jpg (51.4 KiB) Viewed 3011 times
You can observe a lot just by watching.
Yogi Berra
Haggisboy
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Haggisboy »

Al,

It will look about 50% as good as that. That's epic, where do you fit that in with all your logs?

I'll be in touch when the first tastings are ready....

Campbell
pyko
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by pyko »

That's my coffee maker.
Should see the home-brew set-up!
:p
You can observe a lot just by watching.
Yogi Berra
mustang_50matt
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by mustang_50matt »

I brew!

My partner and I have an all electric system in my garage. We brew 10 gallons (38 liters) every 2 weeks. I'll post some pics up later when I am at my personal computer.
"Fuck! I'm still alive and fishing! Right on!" --Eric--
jomeder
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by jomeder »

Not quite the same thing but I'm thinking of brewing my own root beer. Due to my health I don't really drink alcohol, it usually makes me feel so bad it's not worth it, and I've never liked beer much anyway. I drink root beer pretty regularly, a nice one from Australia which is brewed properly. The urge has come over me recently to make my own. I guess this is the non-alcoholic version of the home brew impulse which seems to come over guys at a certain point :-).

It doesn't seem easy to get sarsaparilla root or sassafras (potentially carcinogenic anyway) here. The best people seem to manage is an extract which may or may not be natural. That doesn't sound too good. However the land where I'm building my house is mainly native bush and growing in that is a vine (supplejack) that early settlers used the root of to brew root beer. I'm looking forward to digging some of that up, cutting it into slivers and mixing it with things like vanilla, anise, molasses, wintergreen etc. to try and come up with a nice root beer.

Rather than doing a full brew to start off with I think I'll make a kind of soda starter system to make a carbonated base which I can add the decoction of roots etc. When I find a mixture I like I'll try a full brewed version.

Regards,

Jo
Haggisboy
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Haggisboy »

NIce one Matt, Looking forward to the pics! What you been brewing? One of the guys I am builidng the system with just brewed an 80 shilling (Scottish beer) with Shortbread, and it was fricking immense.

Jo,

I have thought about root beer as well, it should be fun to make.

Campbell
mustang_50matt
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by mustang_50matt »

Here we go! This is our controller for the heating element.
Attachments
brew1.jpg
brew1.jpg (31.89 KiB) Viewed 3011 times
"Fuck! I'm still alive and fishing! Right on!" --Eric--