PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Spey questions

slack
IB3 Member Level 1

Spey questions

Post by slack »

For spey single handed questions would I do better to address these questions to fly casting or 2 handed Thanks slack
shielfisher
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by shielfisher »

Fly casting makes sense.

In Verbo Tuo Laxabo Rete
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

agree. technically speaking, speys are casts, not a handle form.
randyflycaster
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by randyflycaster »

Two handed, IMHO. A single-handed spey cast, where we use line/water tension to load the rod, is much closer to a two-handed spey cast than to a traditional overhead single-handed cast (the weight of the line loads the rod)
Randy
akcaster
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by akcaster »

Fly Casting. Spey casting is a casting style which can be performed with either a single hand or two hand rod.
FFF MCI and THCI
RL Winston and Scientific Anglers Pro Staff
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

The flycasting forum would be best, but a bit of chaos is always good :cool:

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Bernd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bernd »

randyflycaster wrote:A single-handed spey cast, where we use line/water tension to load the rod, is much closer to a two-handed spey cast than to a traditional overhead single-handed cast (the weight of the line loads the rod)
Randy
Hi Randy,
I use the water tension to avoid the water-leg of my loop to slide too fast and too early backwards when starting the forward cast.
If my water-leg starts moving too fast and too early backwards I loose too much energy there and the cast will be ineffective. It easily collapses.
Loading my road can easily be done without water resistant at all.
In an single handed over head cast it's me who loads the road (not the weight of the line). I do that against air resistant + line's and rod's inertia.
Best
Bernd
Bernd Ziesche
www.first-cast.de
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

The water tension in a roll cast (dynamic or static) doesn't and cannot load the rod. However as we know rod loading is a bit of a red herring anyway and its primary purpose is to turn rotational force at the handle into linear force at the tip.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
victor
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by victor »

However as we know rod loading is a bit of a red herring anyway and its primary purpose is to turn rotational force at the handle into linear force at the tip.

Is that a throw away comment Paul or has there been a thread I have missed? I had honestly never looked at it like that before.

Mike
it's casting Jim, but not as we know it, according to EFFA

http://michaelheritage.wordpress.com/
Alejandro
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Alejandro »

I agree with Paul. The load-unload of the rod is very useful for us, but I believe that often we forget to point out the reasons.

And the water really loads the rod in a roll cast... during the lift :D

Alejandro
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Numerous threads over the years. Ian Walker was the first to mention it. Torsten calculated spring energy as 15-20%, leverage 80-85%. Grunde measured it. Gordy graphed it. Leverage is the significant factor in casting, rod bend helps us apply this force in a straighter line.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

And the water really loads the rod in a roll cast... during the lift

Of course, silly me :p

Flycasting Definitions
victor
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by victor »

Yes, I read those but I have never seen it in the way you wrote it before. It's put things in a different perspective, for me anyway.

Mike

Stoatstail50
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Stoatstail50 »

Paul Arden wrote:Leverage is the significant factor in casting, rod bend helps us apply this force in a straighter line.

Cheers, Paul

This has come up in discusions elsewhere twice in a week for me. I think that some of the key points arising from those old threads should be summarised by someone so that prospective candidates for instructor exams can get a grip on what makes a rod bend and that there is more than one benefit arising from having a bendy rod....

The load-unload of the rod is very useful for us, but I believe that often we forget to point out the reasons.

The rod as a propulsive spring remains a very common and widely accepted concept and its very difficult to dislodge. The problem is that if you do point out the reasons more than half the time no-one actually believes you.

It is a spring of course but its not its propulsive spring power that is of most immediate benefit to us, it is its capacity to smooth out the biomechanical "bumps" that we would otherwise have trying to achieve a SLP if it were a rigid lever.

Basically its a fk of a sight easier on the wrists and arms to cast with a bendy rod as opposed to a rigid one.
Maybe Aitor can bring the one Alejandro made to Germany and anyone who hasn't had a go, can...there is a hospital nearby I think.
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
victor
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by victor »

Once this concept has been pointed out I can see it clearly in my head. My problems start when I try and put it into words.

To the question, what is a loaded rod? A loaded rod is one that is bent against a force applied at the lower end and the mass it is moving at the top end. The purpose is to convert rotational force into linear acceleration of the mass.

Any good?

Mike