PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Simple Styrofoam Cup Photography Method

Silver Creek
IB3 Member Level 1

Simple Styrofoam Cup Photography Method

Post by Silver Creek »

Here's portable "quick and dirty" photography method I learned from Bruce Norikane. I got his permission to publish it in our TU newsletter.

http://www.wrvtu.org/newsletter/PDF/newsletter3-4.pdf

Cut a hole in the side of a styrofoam cup for an electrical clip or a clip hackle plier as a fly holder.

Cut a hole in the base of the cup to fit around the lens (cup on the left) or just cut out the enter base of the cup (cup on the left). Put the cup and camera on a table and shine a frosted fluorescent light on the cup.

The styrofoam cup acts as a light tent to diffuse the light for even illumination. I cut a few more holes to let in more light which bounces off of the curved opposite inside surface for more illumination.

The photo below is taken using the macro zoom mode of my Panasonic Lumix waterproof camera. It has a Leica lens and can take amazing photos for a pocket camera. I can take or even make a cup quickly to take photos of flies at fly fishing events. I use the tiers own lamp and they are generally amazed at the photo quality.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Harps
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Harps »

Great method!

I had been using a 4L plastic milk jug to diffuse the lights in a similar manner.
The jug is now recycled and this way might be a better compact way that won't anger my wife (my fault for leaving everything out all the time).

Thanks!
"Hippies smell better Naked."
scotty9
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by scotty9 »

Brilliant, thanks for posting! This might just transform my fly picture taking ability :D
Silver Creek
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Silver Creek »

I'd like to see how this works for others. How about posting some of your photos?
Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy