PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Piled anchor - effects?

springer
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by springer »

scotty9 wrote:
springer wrote:Slack line as Lasse says is certainly one thing, instability in the forward loop is another.

Wouldn't that be due to the slack line in the piled anchor though?

Instability in the forward traveling loop can come from the anchor not being aligned to the target.

If the anchor picks up from the water at say 90 degrees to the target it manifests into a wobble (or side to side motion) as it feeds into the top leg of your loop. This can often lead to the fly landing above or below the unfurled line.

A wobbly loop inst as efficient and neither is the fly landing somewhere you dont want it to.
springer
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by springer »

Paul Arden wrote:In Spey casting it was the accepted method of anchor positioning. I don't think it achieved anything, but it's only comparatively recently have we really concentrated on how the anchor looks.

Cheers, Paul

Hi Paul,

My first spey casting lesson was with Peter Mackenzie-Phillips, the king of the crashed anchor! :D

I always remember him saying, "just dump the line in the water, say your name then give it a good hoofing" - its purpose was to make sure you had an anchor and it wasnt skipping off somewhere behind. The rods them days were slow enough to still deal with this - how times have changed.
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

They've certainly changed alright. The level of single handed Spey casting has increased in the way that 5weight distance casting has in the same time period. No doubt DH casting has as well. Great stuff. I really have to work to stay current.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Aitor
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Aitor »

There is a factor that nobody has addressed yet.
Aitor is not like us, he is Spanish, and therefore completely mad.
Cheers
, Paul

No discutas nunca con un idiota, la gente podría no notar la diferencia.
Immanuel Kant

Videos for casting geeks
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

nice ! :) can you explain why it is 'anchored' less even though contact surface is the same ?

cheers,
marc
Lasse Karlsson
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Marc LaMouche wrote:nice ! :) can you explain why it is 'anchored' less even though contact surface is the same ?

cheers,
marc
Hi Marc

I'd say tension but I'm just guessing..

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Gone.....
Aitor
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Aitor »

Marc LaMouche wrote:nice ! :) can you explain why it is 'anchored' less even though contact surface is the same ?
It is pretty obvious, I think. :p
Cheers
, Paul

Immanuel Kant

Videos for casting geeks
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

Aitor wrote:

It is pretty obvious, I think. :p

bearing this in mind "Aitor is not like us, he is Spanish, and therefore completely mad."
it shouldn't be too hard to understand that we're not on the same plane... :p :D
if i asked, it's because i don't understand :)
Aitor
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Aitor »

Since some spey gurus say that piled anchors produce more line stick... most probably that chain experiment is just an illusion. :D

When the "anchor" is straight the hanging chain is pulling the whole length of that "anchor", and that resistance is enough to prevent gravity to pull everything down. When you pile the "anchor" the piled part isn't in tension, in fact the hanging chain is pulling a shorter piece of "anchor", so the balance between forces gets broken.
Cheers
, Paul

Immanuel Kant

Videos for casting geeks
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Fascinating. Thanks Aitor!!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
totsy
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by totsy »

Paul Arden wrote:Fascinating. Thanks Aitor!!
Agreed, brilliant.

So is the chain held by friction or mass?

Ta, Lee.
Orvis Endorsed

www.doublehaul.co.uk/
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

now it worked ! :D thanks Hombre :)
Aitor
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Aitor »

totsy wrote:So is the chain held by friction or mass?

I'd say both: a mass that is motionless wants to keep like that resisting any change. Friction also opposes a resistance to motion.
What I wanted to show is that the same lenght of anchor subjected to the same force has different anchoring capabilities, depending on it being straight or not.

On one hand we have that a piled anchor opposes less resistance to the travelling D-loop; on the other hand we know that a bloody L opposes more force to the travelling D-loop, and a piled anchor has some slight traits of a bloody L configuration. So... :???:
Cheers
, Paul

Immanuel Kant

Videos for casting geeks
sushiyummy
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by sushiyummy »

My experience with the bloody L anchor is the corner of the L sometimes scoops water, expending the loops energy into moving water than moving the line.

Perhaps with the pile anchor, anything with a radius can also scoop water similar to the bloody L. And perhaps for this reason why it is deemed an cast killer.

However, there is a anchor technique where the apex of the V loop is deliberately crashed into water as the anchor. Because of the apex of a V loop represents a small submerged area, the scooping effect is not so much that the V loop anchor feels almost the same as a regular leader anchor. The fly never touches the water with this V loop anchor, a boon for lip flies.
totsy
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by totsy »

Aitor wrote:
totsy wrote:So is the chain held by friction or mass?
I'd say both: a mass that is motionless wants to keep like that resisting any change. Friction also opposes a resistance to motion.
What I wanted to show is that the same lenght of anchor subjected to the same force has different anchoring capabilities, depending on it being straight or not.

On one hand we have that a piled anchor opposes less resistance to the travelling D-loop; on the other hand we know that a bloody L opposes more force to the travelling D-loop, and a piled anchor has some slight traits of a bloody L configuration. So... :???:
Aitor, will you set up the same experiment with the chain as a bloody L and with the chain gently curving away to the side?

Ta, Lee.
Orvis Endorsed

www.doublehaul.co.uk/