PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

IFFF Malaysia - 16/17 Sept 2012

Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

IFFF Malaysia - 16/17 Sept 2012

Post by Paul Arden »

Attachments
IFFF_2012_Banner.jpg
IFFF_2012_Banner.jpg (277.3 KiB) Viewed 4573 times
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
ckling
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by ckling »

Hi Paul,
Thanks for putting up the poster. This is our first attempt at organising a fly conclave/festival, so we have a lot to learn yet. Thankfully we have Hans Van Klinken to guide us.
All the guys doing this event are volunteers, no commercial interests involved so that we can keep the participant cost down.
The venue is at a forest reserve park an hour from Petaling Jaya. We are renting the traditional wooden houses on stilt from the park. We estimated that it will cost around RM120/Euro25 to provide a bed and 3 meals a day. The jungle and mosquitoes come free. Seriously no malaria this part of Malaysia.
There will be FFF testing 2 days before the event, currently we have 5CIs,2MCIs and 1THCI.
ckling
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by ckling »

There may be more candidates as we have yet to put it up on FFF EVENT calendar.
There will be the usual fly tying, fly casting and sponsors demos.We have yet to decide the "show me what you got"events for some grand prizes.
Post event fishing, sailfish in Rompin is in season(2 Oz interested), one group going upriver fishing in Endau. There is also peacock bass,pacu and snakeheads.
We need all the support we can get so any of you guys wanna come over, give demos or sponsor the event do let us know.(PM me)

Selamat Datang.
Ling
doggy
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by doggy »

Paul did you get my email?
be nice to your kids they may choose your nursing home
sushiyummy
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by sushiyummy »

Hey, are you guys interested in 2 handed demo. I still have my unexpired M'sian passport. My website is www.awholenuthalevel.com for casting demo videos.
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Doggy,

yes I did. We're testing together and it's a go. Guess you didn't get my reply! Will you have time to chase Snakehead?

I'll be sponsoring one of the new Sexyloops Rods as a competition prize.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Bintoro
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bintoro »

Malaysia, is this fly fishing last frontier?

Not that long ago, fly fishing was very much an Anglo-American game fishing tradition of chasing salmonid. But today fly fishing is pretty much a global sport and now includes species of fish from every corner of the globe. Unknown to most and to the world fly fishing community, Malaysia is blessed with a myriad of tropical fish that are more than willing to take fly. Combine this with a big bunch of mad keen fly fisherman and the result is a fresh and dynamic fly fishing community. Just as dynamic as the region itself and also due to targeting 'non salmonid' fish, the FF community in Malaysia is unique in its own way.

They are not fly fishing in an English chalk stream or a mountain stream in the Catsklill. They fish in beautiful tropical streams surrounded by lush green tropical rain forest - truly a paradise for a fly fisherman. For this reason the Malaysian fly tyer cleverly adapts many classic flies to suit the local fish. There are many great local fly tyers in Malaysia, and with the visit from two world renowned fly tyers, Hans van Klinken and Mark Petijean this September, this will potentially enhance their fly tying prowess. Hans has been a great friend and mentor to the Malaysian fly tyers.

On the technical side, they are keen to learn, mostly self taught and are very passionate with their fly casting. Learning from each other and sharing their casting knowledge is the key of their success. Their progression is very quick as I still remember vividly, two years ago, when Dr. Ling passed his FFF CCI test to become Malaysia's first FFF certified casting instructor. This encouraged a group of keen fly fishers to take up the FFF CCI test in June last year and in a flash Malaysia had nine FFF Certified instructors. Furthermore, three from Singapore, two from Taiwan and one from Indonesia also passed their CCI test. Dr. Ling also passed his MCI test to become the first FFF MCI in SE Asia. Roy Wybrow from Australia also passed his MCI test at this event. Then followed by another FFF Test event in Kuala Lumpur last September when three more candidates passed their CCI. All of this happened in mere 2 years - it is unreal!!!!

Most importantly, great casting instructors love to visit Malaysia. Peter Hayes and Paul Arden, both FFF Certified MCI have conducted fly casting workshops in Malaysia a couple of times which were all well attended. Denise Maxwell and Dan McCrimmon, both FFF BOG MCI and THCI were in Malaysia for the FFF Test event last June. What has been happening in Malaysia in terms of fly fishing has made a deep long lasting impression on all.

Kuala Lumpur now has two fly fishing shops that are well stocked with fly tackle and tying materials. This will ensure the continuation of interest in fly fishing by making all of the materials readily available at a very reasonable price. What has been happening in Malaysia is reverberating throughout the neighbouring regions, there are more and more people taking up fly fishing in Singapore, Indonesia, and Thailand.

This coming September, the Fly Fishing Festival in Kuala Lumpur will be a true reflection of the dynamic and the exuberant fly fishing scene in the region. With the presence of two world class fly tyers, an FFF Board of Governors/THCI and five FFF Master Casting Instructors, this will truly be a 'world class' event that should not be missed.

Come along to the Malaysian Fly Fishing Festival and see yourself the dynamic and the exuberant fly fishing community in Malaysia and South East Asia in general.

I'm not romanticizing the story, this is a fact. I'm sure Paul Arden and Peter Hayes would agree with my sentiments.
So Paul, a SexyLoop Far East gathering in the future could be very real!!!
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

I've visited Malaysia twice now. The first time was with Haysie and the FFF for the first certifications. The pass rate was incredibly high; 100% of the Malaysians passed - Peter had previously been over and prepared them and they had worked together to pass. The casting level is extremely high and there are one or two very classy distance casters (another location where I lost my hat in a shootout!). I thoroughly enjoyed my time there.

I then returned last October to fish for Snakehead and Jungle Perch following an invite. I had a wonderful time with the lads fishing a quite stunning location. As well as the openness and friendliness of the Malaysians, and Singaporeans!, they have some fantastic fishing.

Snakehead has got under my skin. Flights from the UK are around £650 return.

Paco (relative to a piranha from a managed FFing water);
Snakehead from a wild water;
First certifications;
Blog entries!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Could I make the pictures any bigger, I ask?

Flycasting Definitions
doggy
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by doggy »

What weight rod for snakehead Paul and what sort of flys?
be nice to your kids they may choose your nursing home
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

I was using a six, but next time I'm taking an eight weight and warmwater floating line. The flies are largish gurglers. The shots are fast and trying to fish with a sticky lightweight line was extremely difficult.

For the peacock bass a five or six weight is fine, they take small woolly buggers. You need a fast sinking line.

Which days are you over for again?

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
ckling
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by ckling »

Hi Bintoro,
Thanks for all the nice words. We hope to put up a memorable event.
Hi Paul and Matt,
Try to reach Malaysia by 12 or 13 Sept. Peter conducting CI workshop on 13th, FFF TEST on 14 and 15th. Fishing festival on 16 and 17. After that fishing for pacu, peacock bass, snakehead and sailfish.

Hi Sushi,
You are most welcome to demo DH casting here. We will take care of your board and lodging as long as you can get your own flight here. There is growing interest in DH casting here especially in saltwater. And Selamat Pulang if you do come back.

Cheers
Ling
blackwater
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by blackwater »

Hi Doc

I am thinking of heading over for the festival. How do i find out a bit more about the sailfish trip? Is there someone i need to contact?

Brian
ckling
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by ckling »

Hi Brian,
It would be great to meet up again. The person you want to contact is Dron Lee or UFO Malaysia via Facebook. All the guys from overseas will be staying at the Botany Park in a traditional house. Some of the guys are booked for snakehead fishing after the event, something else you can do.

Cheers
Ling
Bintoro
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bintoro »

Here are some post even reports from 'Sport Fishing Asia':
http://sportfishin.asia/useful-....iBjV9JN