PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Shallow water cod at 67 degrees north

Jeroen
BBBB No5

Shallow water cod at 67 degrees north

Post by Jeroen »

Arctic Norway is not exactly the spot you associate with shallow water fly fishing over coral sand. My recent trip to Bodø, east of the Lofoten islands proved me wrong though. We set out to tackle cod and coalfish over seamounts and deep water wrecks. A nasty northerly wind forced us to change our plans. We set course for a chain of islands which would provide us with the necessary cover for wind and bad weather. This proved to be a very good move as when I stopped the boat to rig up our fly rods we noticed some activity near a sandy drop-off. Closer inspection taught us that a group of Atlantic cod in various sizes were shoveling through the seaweed to look for crabs. In an instant two flies and a soft plastic lure hit the mark, resulting in three bent rods and some hefty action.
This was the start of a hectic week of bent rods, literally tonnes of fish and spectacular scenery. My weapon of choice turned out to be my trusted saltwater threeweight which proved to be an incredibly tough and effective instrument to pinpoint big fish out of the growth. I comfortably (well reasonably comfortably) landed cod and one Pollack in the double figures, with fish reaching an estimated eight kilos.
The locals weren’t impressed however. They knew about the shallow cod and told us that the fish were fattening up after spawning. Their flesh wasn’t firm enough yet for them to show an interest in catching them. We couldn’t care less, as the fish were eager and ready to please. Over the week we did kill and eat a number of fish. All of which were very good to eat albeit with some flaky and soft flesh. Atlantic cod as a consumption fish is at its best in the autumn. By then they have moved away from the coral sand to deeper marks.
Due to the incredible amount of bites and hookups we turned to using shrimp, crab and baitfish flies tied on barbless circle hooks. This did result in missed strikes. All the fish we caught however, were hooked in the lip and released in seconds.

Cheers,
Jeroen

thefly
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by thefly »

Good shit J, bet that Pollack made ya hurt !
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

i hope the CTS people are good to you. that's some awfully good press for the little 3wt ! :cool:
Jeroen
BBBB No5

Post by Jeroen »

I agree Marc ;)
Morsie
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Morsie »

Great stuff Jeroen, I love reading about this kind of stuff. I got an inquiry recently from a guy in Iceland who wanted to go saltwater fly fishing in his home waters. I directed him to this site, I hope he reads it.

Morsie
That was the river - this is the sea........
skeg
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by skeg »

3wt is the new 8 wt.... :oh:

I bet it feels as god as it looks.
Peter
"...fish like a demon with a mission"-Sudesh

...just one more last cast
Jeroen
BBBB No5

Post by Jeroen »

Peter M, I have been talking to Steve Starling about doing an arctic SWF trip for quite some years now. We might do it next year.
The places I have fished in Iceland are quite similar to the saltwater marks we fish in some places in northern Norway. I'd be happy to give him some pointers.

Peter H, mine certainly kicked the ass of an 8wt Winston noodle.. It felt good :cool:

Cheers,
Jeroen
Haggisboy
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Haggisboy »

Amazing stuff Jeroen, I really dig the shot of the escaping cod.
Jeroen
BBBB No5

Post by Jeroen »

Cheers HB!
pyko
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by pyko »

Brilliant J, great pix.
Cracking pollack.

Another thing for the bucket list....
You can observe a lot just by watching.
Yogi Berra
sushiyummy
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by sushiyummy »

NIce pics, capturing great times immemorial.
Mark-C
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Mark-C »

Beautiful place and fantastic fish. I had no idea that cod moved shallow at times.
Jeroen
BBBB No5

Post by Jeroen »

Neither did I Mark. While we were fishing a spot we had called 'paradise' between a steep rock wall with a bright white beach where the cod went totally mad. I hooked a six pound cod there in half a metre of water. Floating lines and suspended flies would have made a killing there.
FlyAlf
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by FlyAlf »

Great photos. Way to go :D
Alf
------------
Catch & Relax
Jeroen
BBBB No5

Post by Jeroen »

Cheers Alf. Any flatties for you this year?