PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

where is the trick - casting videos

Michal Duzynski
IB3 Member Level 1

where is the trick - casting videos

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Hi All
Few day ago I had a nice day fishing, I was happy with my casting, sometimes watched my back cast- nice presentation cast perfect tight loop and very accurate.
Friend of mine even told me that I improved my loops big time, and he decided to record this. After I saw my self I asked him to delet those. videos, as watching me casting, almost brought me to tears.
Now If you dont mind Paul I will use u as an example. I have seen you casting far. looking from the side beautiful loops,and all fine, then reading Brend,s thred about Distance Phenomen I came across videos of you and few others casting distance- but this time it was recorded looking towards the caster+slow mo.
The loops, line, body movement looked ugly, every loop full of slack, body behived like to deliver this cast is the last thing to do in the life.
Another video from Melbourn Paul casting with Mathew Howell, the camera is in front of the casters,and again on the bc the line in one direction the tip in the other.
Another example Paul in Malesia, camera facing 45° to the back watching back cast, on this video beauty, long carry, loop on the back cast closes nicly.
So my question is. Is it an angle of the camera that make us look bad, or what?
Or the ugly true is that there are great casters, but stiil lots of things to learn and improve with distance casting.
cheers
mike
Bernd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bernd »

Hi Mike,
Aitor used to call the slomo cam to be the "machine of truth". And he was spot on!
If our eyes could see as well as slomo cams can we probably would notcall fly casting to be any kind of art. :D

In reagard of your observations now it depends a bit on the line lengths. The more line the "uglier" it looks in slomo.
Especially from what I call "the angle of truth".
Greets
Bernd

p.s.: Take it easy, we all look like that in slomo!
Bernd Ziesche
www.first-cast.de
Michal Duzynski
IB3 Member Level 1

An art of early Picasso -mess everywhere :D
But from the other hand if somebody casts 130'+, and his happy with it, does he really needs "angle of truth"
I havent hear much about casters casting 130'+ saying "ok Im cool, lets make 100' look Perferct!", they rather think. , what to do to make it 140'

p.s
anyway we are not an actors to look good on the screen. we are fly casters.
cheers
mike
Bernd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bernd »

I am different than!
I am way more interested in being able to show a nice straight cast to 100 feet than reaching 140 while my turnover messes up (wind straightening the cast does not count here)!
Bernd Ziesche
www.first-cast.de
victor
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by victor »

So Michael, what exactly didn't you like about what you saw? What you saw is what we see and your casting is pretty good. If it was slo mo you have to adjust how you look at it because you will see all sorts of things going on that are usually too fast to see at actual speed. The line, for instance, appears to do some really odd things at times. I remember the first time I watched myself on film and I had a job to equate what I was watching with what I thought I was doing.

Mike
it's casting Jim, but not as we know it, according to EFFA

http://michaelheritage.wordpress.com/
Michal Duzynski
IB3 Member Level 1

Thanks Mike
Since in my casting I put tracking in a first place, and I want my loop to travel on top of the rod tip, on a video that was the issue. When I practice I stay focus on a back cast to make it nice and tight, when i fish i do it less. On the video of me casting from the " angle of true" while fishing all my back casts seem wide, and looks like the tip travels in convex path. but recorded from the same angle, but whenI tilt my rod to 45° the picture is diferent.
I got this feeling when I practice with MPR, line there doesnt movig to fast and you can notice things.
With distance, I think if we reduce as much CF as ppssible thing would look better. On a slowmo, all this waves in the loop ( espesialy on the FC), if you can have just STOP, tip stays in one place after the rebonce, and the energie is transfer to fly leg of the loop make it travel in straight.
If I only can cast 100', the same way I cast 60', that would be great.
cheers mike
Bernd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bernd »

Michal,
if you cast with a broomstick you may get what you are looking for. :)
As far as we have lots of rod bend to deal with slomos will show lots of things happeining that most of us would not feel to be beautiful.
Casting the broomstick I see a much nicer cast in slomo.
The problem is THAT the broomstick cast FEELS like shit (tooo heavy) in truth (outside the camera). :D
Greets
Bernd
Bernd Ziesche
www.first-cast.de
alp
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by alp »

Bernd wrote:I am different than!
I am way more interested in being able to show a nice straight cast to 100 feet than reaching 140 while my turnover messes up (wind straightening the cast does not count here)!
As a flyfisherman, I’m fully agree with this approach. Even 100 feet is not necessary. Success is measured by the ratio of perfecly good and bad casts. Further more, I want to do it smoothly, with as little energy as possible. My equipment is balanced for this purpose.

Sometimes I find myself to force 120+. Occasionally I manage to achieve that but a large percentage of may casts then are worthless. When I try to analyze my workout later usually conclud that was a waste of time.

Course, I’m not turnament distance caster, nor is my intention to become one.
alp
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by alp »

PS
As for filming, different lenses significantly changing perspective. For example, the same cast recorded with the 18mm wide zoom may seem longer and with 200 mm tele significantly shorter than in reality.

The same applies to the line formation. For example, put 18 mm wide zoom and cast directly into the camera. The narrowest loop will look wide as a house.

To record a perfect cast you need a perfect cameraman and a perfect camera too.
Lasse Karlsson
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

alp wrote:
Bernd wrote:I am different than!
As a flyfisherman, I’m fully agree with this approach. Even 100 feet is not necessary. Success is measured by the ratio of perfecly good and bad casts. Further more, I want to do it smoothly, with as little energy as possible. My equipment is balanced for this purpose.

Sometimes I find myself to force 120+. Occasionally I manage to achieve that but a large percentage of may casts then are worthless. When I try to analyze my workout later usually conclud that was a waste of time.

Course, I’m not turnament distance caster, nor is my intention to become one.
I think it's funny, the 100 feet nice easy one comes with the territory of being able to throw further. Simple as that.

And I'm speaking as a fisherman here, tournament distance casting is just a great way of improving ones fishing cast. I do not think I now one single fisherman who hasn't gotten better fishing out of practicing to throw further at will....

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Gone.....
alp
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by alp »

Yes, thats's true. But there are limits. If I try to force further than my personal technique (and style) allows - shit happens more often. Smooth 100 feet is good enough for me. Anyhow, on last unofficial shootout in Hungary last year my best was 36 m. Paols best was 38+ m. So, I guess that I'm in good enough territory for smooth 30 m.

Cheers
Aleksandar
CliveSA
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by CliveSA »

On the subject of filming as an aid to analysis and teaching, there is a really good app for Iphones, Ipads and Androids that is worth looking at called Ubersense, formerly branded Excelade, costs about $5, chech www.ubersense.com
Malik
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Malik »

CliveSA wrote:On the subject of filming as an aid to analysis and teaching, there is a really good app for Iphones, Ipads and Androids that is worth looking at called Ubersense, formerly branded Excelade, costs about $5, chech www.ubersense.com
Hi Clive,

Thank you for the link. Very interesting and userfriendly application.
Do you know if the video made from this application can be then handled by I Movie and shared via Vimeo for instance ?

Cheers

Malik
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Yep it's certainly interesting watching yourself in slomo but you learn a fantastic amount too. I wasn't casting all that badly when Bernd filmed me and was throwing through the 120s that weekend. We were of course specifically looking for the cause of loop deviation and I provided it :cool:

Cheers Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Oh and the least flattering angle for loops is straight down the line. For your guts try side-on :p
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions