PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Line to Leader Super Glue Connection

Crackaig
IB3 Member Level 1

Line to Leader Super Glue Connection

Post by Crackaig »

Some time ago there was a question about this, which I have been unable to locate. Last season I went back to using this connection.

Both Mike (my fishing partner) and myself have been using this connection for loch trout fishing since early last season. We have been using it on Barrio GT90 lines of various weights with Barrio 9' tapered leaders. We have had trout up to 4lb on it.

It makes the connection between line and leader so smooth that it is not an issue. We have used three methods to attach tippet of up to 13' to the leader. Small tippet rings, loop to loop and knotting it direct, For convenience I have settled on the loop to loop. I have had the leader fail at the knot between leader and ring. Knotting direct to the leader eats away at the leader when you change tippet.

We have found that with care and a very fine needle the leader can be worked up to an inch and a half into the line. The core of the line will then grip the leader like a braided loop grips the line. Even so we used Zap - a - Gap at both ends of the connection.

On Sunday evening Mike had the first failure of this connection. The connection that failed was one of the first ones he did. That means that the connection has lasted about 1 1/4 seasons. The moral here is to check your kit a little more often.

Overall we are very happy with this connection, and will continue to use it. Though Mike will be checking his a little more frequently.

Cheers,
C.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical
minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd
by the clean end"
_Ré
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by _Ré »

You have to make the part of the butt section you glue in the line rough with sandpaper (probably you did that). In this case 2 centimeters are usually enough.
"who knows absolutely everything about everything"
Crackaig
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Crackaig »

Ye we do that, and it probabily is enough. I was just reporting back on something that was once of interest.
Cheers,
C.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical
minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd
by the clean end"