PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

New CCI Test - Candidate just asking for help

Chris Dore
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Chris Dore »

I find it a useful way of picking slack up off the water for a rapid-fire cast.
SCOTT Pro Staff
www.CHRISDORE.com
cinick
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by cinick »

With regards Q19: Explain and demo the cause and correction of tailing loops....

Do we explain and demo every instance that can cause a tailing loop (uneven power application, Creep, casting arc etc etc) and then remedy each individually?????

I might take about 5 hours to get this one done :)
RexW
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by RexW »

cinick wrote:With regards Q19: Explain and demo the cause and correction of tailing loops....

Do we explain and demo every instance that can cause a tailing loop (uneven power application, Creep, casting arc etc etc) and then remedy each individually?????

I might take about 5 hours to get this one done :)

Start with a short response but be prepared with a longer more detailed response if you are asked for more information by the examiner.

Answer the question as though you were teaching a student that did not know anything about a tailing loop. Keep your first response short and simple.

Earlier in the exam, you had to demonstrate that you can cast a tailing loop on command. Now with this question, you are showing that you can teach a student about tailing loops. Answer this question as an instructor would answer it.

Good luck!
cinick
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by cinick »

Cheers Rex :)
Sage
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Sage »

E & D #18 Narrow to wide loops..
After the standard spiel..

" Loops are determined by the path of the rod tip during
the Casting Stroke"

Then mention Tight loops = SLP
Open /wide/or fat loops = Convex Doming
Path..
Poss :- to make controlled wide loops...Stop & unload the rod further below the on coming line,,
Tight Loops :- Stop & unload the Rod Higher,,,just below but close to the oncoming line..

Would showing overhead casts ..or demo with hands
sufice.?

Should be all over in 2 mins!

If they ask for more I'd be struggling..

Mac
Chris Dore
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Chris Dore »

Keep the explanations short, clear and concise mac. You can cover this task easily in 20 seconds or less. If they want to hear more, they will ask you to elaborate. Remember, answer only the question at hand

--------

Demo false casting tight loops and explain : "tight loops are created when the rod tip follows a straight line path throughout the casting stroke"

Now widen your loops and explain: "wide loops can be created by increasing your casting arc and tracking a circular, or convex tip path througout the casting stroke."

Worked for me. Clear, concise and to the point.

Be prepared to elaborate on any point throughout your explain and demonstrate if asked.
SCOTT Pro Staff
www.CHRISDORE.com
Sage
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Sage »

Hi Chris .
Thanks for that.. Yes I gave a short version on aa card small bullet points ,,and everyone is saying keep it really short,
If they want more you can elaborate. I think thats another point learnt .. Keep your mouth shut!!! just have some more example up your sleeve..

Regards Mac
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Mac,

with regards tight to open loops, I like so see a visual that is not simply a line in the air. When teaching this doesn't work well. Put the line on the ground and draw a tight loop, an open loop, a tailing loop. Hold the line in the fingers to show a wide loop. Hell bring along a pencil and paper. This is where you can show that you've actually thought about how to teach these things.

To show casting arc many break the rod into two and use this to show angle change. I use my hands, arms or my fingers. Two bits of flat stick joined with a bolt at the ends would be an excellent tool.

Regards tails, everyone I've prepared in the last four years has given five causes after discussing tip path. I know that after Haysie prepared the Malaysians, they also gave five causes. I expect to hear it now, because I usually do, but if I don't hear it it's not a problem. This is where candidates are often in advance of the test. I do have to hear tip path however. I would like to see a tail on the ground that really is a tail, but I won't fail someone as an instructor if that's the only thing they get wrong.

In the last two years our understanding of tails and the way they propagate along the line has really come along, mostly thanks to Aitor and Alejandro on the Board. I've tested CCIs recently who understand this stuff, and I've tested with BOGs this year who still don't. However you're not going to have that problem, because your examiners are on the ball. I've tested with both Matty and Haysie. OK they're Aussies, but apart from that they're top blokes and you'll have an excellent time with them.

Go into that exam being as tuned up in your casting as possible - smooth and neat, have nice simple explanations for the everything and be sponge for information. That for me is really important by the way. If I have a candidate who is borderline but has an attitude that he knows everything then I'm going to fail that guy. Same borderline case but the guy wants to learn, then fantastic, this guy is going to be a great teacher and I'll pass him. Believe me, your attitude in this exam counts for a lot.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Cast1
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Cast1 »

The Quintessence Of Teaching Is Inspiration

"To be a teacher in the right sense is to be a learner.
Instruction begins when you, the teacher, learn from the learner, put yourself in his place so that you may understand what he understands and in the way he understands it."

Mel Kreiger wrote this way back when and to me it stands taller today than it did when he wrote it.

My advise, you guys are lucky - you have a group - maybe miles apart however try and get together as group as often as you can between now and your test, and teach each other tha tasks on the test - Take turns at asking the how and why - teach each other how to determin faults and how to correct them. Go through the whole test teaching each other.

That is learning from the learner

Then engauge someone like Chris to make sure you are in the right path.

Ask yourself a lot of questions particularly ask your self are you ready to sit this test now. Is there a hurry. I think two years + is about right - This program is ment to be about teaching - how much teaching have you actually done.

Teach as often as you can - even explain it all to the fence post or that bush near where you practise. If you can cast it slowly and explain it clearly you understand it

Good luck and I hope you all pass, but if you dont - try again

George
AnglersMark
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by AnglersMark »

Hello All, I'm new to the forum. I also am preparing for the CCI exam, here in Florida, scheduled for October 20. Thank you for your information, it is very helpful. I plan to schedule an MCI to administor a practice test soon.

Back to the Roll Cast portion of the casting test.
Is it normally on the water? I feel like I'm getting good roll casts on the water, but can't do squat on the grass. I've seen suggestions to use a clipboard on the line. Where abouts on the line should that be placed?
Thanks again.
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Lawrence, and welcome to the Board :cool:

The roll cast is often, unfortunately, done over grass. I for one would like to see everything done possible to make it over water. Tips for over grass is to put a little more line behind you and start the stroke with a long drag. The rod should travel like \\\\\/. There are other methods such as anchoring the leader to a stake or asking your examiner to stand on it.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
ennio
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by ennio »

RexW wrote:Answer the question as though you were teaching a student that did not know anything about a tailing loop.

Rex, if you will allow me ... If I had a student who didn't know anything about tailing loops, and didn't cast tailing loops, I wouldn't teach them!
:D

Andrew
cinick
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by cinick »

9 of us here in the South Island are part of the Canterbury Fly Fishing Club and began our jouirney about 2 years ago. We obviously had a major earthquake here 18 months ago. With a number of us loosing houses and family members during the earthquake this all but stopped our practice or focus on the test as family and other priorities took precidence. In the past few month we have rallied, and with the support of people like Chappie, Chris, Carl and numerous others we have really been putting in some effort....whether its enough we will see! :)

At our next club meeting we will be dedicating the majority of the meeting to teaching our members.

We will sit as a panel on the stage and explain casting (with focus on the FFF test, we will also take questions from the members (usually about 50-60 attend the meetings) and take turns at answering these questions.

This will hopefully help in a number of ways. It will test our ability to convey the message simply, it will see how well we cope under pressure as questions are asked of us, it will show us if our knowledge base is actually wide enough to answer the questions but most importantly for some it will also help with the public speaking fears that many have.

We are enjoying the journey and really appreciative of all the support.

AnglersMark:
Re roll casts on grass. I have found that increasing the size of my D-loop and ensuring I use enough translation prior to rotation really helps. I was initially also not placing my anchor point close enough to me (hence the small D-Loop) and found it difficult to get a nice tight roll cast. Thanks to one of the other trainees I "think" I have now fixed the problem .....
Big Eyebrow
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Big Eyebrow »

G'day,
Those of you who are sitting the CCI exam in NZ will have MCI Matt Howell as one of the examiners , great guy, very strong Engineering back ground, works with Drawings etc.,I suggest you learn to do all your explanations using the Rod and line to form Diagrammatic pictures, on the ground or better still invest in a small White board and marker, don't try and 'Bulls#*t' Matt, he's heard it all before and will come down like a ton of bricks, you will hear him say, i'm sure,"It's about the Rod Tip" I can hear him now. Enjoy the journey, you will be a much better instructor for it.
:) :upside:
rjwybrow
Chris Dore
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Chris Dore »

With respect, Im sure a whiteboard and marker arent a requirement roy. Explain and demonstrate tasks can be very efficiently performed with rod, line and a sound understanding of the mechanics. You may wish to use the line on the ground to demonstrate items if called to elaborate, and all power to you, but if you need to produce a whiteboard and marker then maybe your explanations just need more work.

Keep it simple, clear and concise.
SCOTT Pro Staff
www.CHRISDORE.com