PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

New CCI Test - Candidate just asking for help

Sage
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Sage »

Paul... I found on S/L "The FFF CI Examination" a guide to the test.

www.sexyloops.com/flycasting/fff_ci_test.shtml

Very well done just what is needed.

That's all the guys want I think! :D

It is now out of date though !!!
if that was updated and
a few more proceedure notes added in laymans terms
I am sure it would be very very useful to the remote learner/candidate..
Not in too basic terms but in text that is understandable..

I have written a lot of notes myself ,,and Iam still up dateing the info.

Q.. #9 Roll cast 40ft.. who measures the length of line out? Is it that important?
Does the examiner grab the fluff then walk away from you
then turn around and say off you go boys! thats 40..

Q What ar the favorite Slack line casts you see presented.

Mends...... Casts.....
are some not really in vogue?
Your sugesstions..

Q Accuracy 20,30,45, proceedure all Ok as per 2012
but please help with "the candidate is allowed three attemps per target?"
so if a miss occures at say 30' three times your out ,no need to go on to 45ft pack your bags boys we'er off home..

Is it poss to up date that the SL doc.

Q In your opinion what is a reasonable time to be expected to answer the Q in E & D approx .?

Written Q,, tick a box.. Are they based on NZ .Aussie .
or are alot of them US questions?
Jimm Bass put some out on the net a few mths ago.
3 of the Q I had to say I had never heard of..
no ref to them in NZ books or UK ones either...

Will try and get down for your visit to Ch Ch Chris..
its a long day though 9 hrs driving...

Regards Mac..
Chris Dore
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Chris Dore »

Paul Arden wrote:Great photo on your avatar there, Chris. Taken by a pro?
Amazed it works. The photographer was fishless and looking the other way :)
SCOTT Pro Staff
www.CHRISDORE.com
Sage
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Sage »

Paul.. Examiners for test..

Matt Howell.. MCI
Simon Zarifeh MCI
Tony Loader MCI
& Peter Hayes MCI CBoG..

So well have to get it right,!!!

Mac
John Waters
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by John Waters »

Thanks Paul, I'll estimate the length as I would in a fishing situation for my training and testing and see how I go.

Best wishes,

John
SAFFer
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by SAFFer »

Hi Paul

Im one of the CFFC guys taking the test. I just want to get some clarity on tailing loops and the fly leg having to cross the rod leg twice in order for it to be a tailing loop. Is this the true definition and can you explain how it crosses the second time.

Cheers
Matt
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau ...

IFFF CCI
Wet
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Wet »

Sage wrote:Paul.. Examiners for test..

Matt Howell.. MCI
Simon Zarifeh MCI
Tony Loader MCI
& Peter Hayes MCI CBoG..

So well have to get it right,!!!

Mac
Mac, don't stress. They all want you to pass, just relax and show them what you know ;)
Regards,
Andrew Connell
Wet
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Wet »

Paul Arden wrote:Hi John,

I've never seen a CCI candidate strip measure the accuracy. Although I have seen MCIs measure as well as BOG examiners. It takes a bit more ingenuity to measure the MCI targets, but they can all be done, one way or another. The specified line outside the rod tip for the accuracy I believe is an oversight. 9ft rod at an angle, 9ft leader, 4-5 feet of line outside the tip, 30" ring - the fluff is in the ring. Dead centre the last time I examined.

CCI accuracy is about consistent loops, tracking and trajectory adjustments. It's not about strip measuring, but neither is it about fly hover. Me, I'd like to hear about hover and have random target placements. The Australians are way in front, as a group, in this regard, since every CCI and MCI in Australia is fully versed in competition techniques.

The level of CCIs coming in, is far higher than previously.

Cheers, Paul
More marks to the strip caster in my books, its another skill he can bring to the table :???:

Now doubt some examiners don't know how to do it and would surely enjoy learning how. John is suitably qualified to show them several aspects of teaching the Accuracy task and I would expect the examiners would delve a little deeper there :)
Regards,
Andrew Connell
Chris Dore
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Chris Dore »

SAFFer wrote:Hi Paul

Im one of the CFFC guys taking the test. I just want to get some clarity on tailing loops and the fly leg having to cross the rod leg twice in order for it to be a tailing loop. Is this the true definition and can you explain how it crosses the second time.

Cheers
Matt
Picture the rod tip dipping and then rising again below slp. This is the shape your fly leg will follow, dipping below the rod leg of your loop, hence, crossing it in two places.

To qualify as a tail your fly leg will cross your rod leg twice.
SCOTT Pro Staff
www.CHRISDORE.com
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Lot of questions there,

Matt, a tailing loop is a wave that travels along the fly leg, away from the loop, towards the fly. This wave travels along under tension. As it travels it increases in depth as well as slows (because tension in the loop is less towards the fly). This is why when the fly leg intersects the rod leg, it generally does so in two places; because it is a wave.

Mac,

Roll Cast - I don't know if you'll be over water, that would be nice! In the most part there is a tape measure, an examiner will stand at 40 feet and you can sort the length out together.

Slack line - pick a useful fishing one that you would teach. And preferably not too complicated! You have Puddle Cast (inclined trajectory), Bounce Back Cast (leader bounces back), Pile Cast (steep inclined trajectory), Collapsed Cast (opening loop to put fly near fly line), Tuck Cast (overpowered vertical loop). There are others. On that list the Pile Cast for me is the least useful!

Targets - missing a target three times does not mean the end of the test. It's possible to fail two tasks and pass the test. But for most examiners so long as you show good loop control, make trajectory adjustments and exhibit good form, then hitting the target is the least important part. Conversely it's possible to hit all targets and fail this task.

I've never timed Explain and Demonstrate and it depends how much of the stuff was discussed before. The written questions are logical, no tricks and multiple choice. There were a couple of US questions based around the X system but these have been dropped I believe.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Sage
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Sage »

Hi Paul... Thank you for a good constructive reply..
the questions might have sounded simple to a lot of people
but just to get niggles out of the way,means you can clear your mind for a more focused approach..

I am mainly OK about the test.. everything is progressing well, Loops are tightening ,Hauls are sweet.. Sounds like a poem!!
Task#11 E &D Roll Cast pick up I assume this is of course
Dynamic pick up as in Spey ?
used for ??? Could you list a few ...Sinking lines , Nymphs weighted ,, how many should we sort out....

Well I hope some of these other lads take advantage of your offer Paul...If you don't ask you don't find out!!

Regards Mac,
Big Eyebrow
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Big Eyebrow »

Hi Fella's,
One of the questions that appears in most of the written tests is about what type of line will be better for casting distance, they refer to one of the choices as a 'Shooting line', this has confused a number of Aussie's as we tend to call them 'shooting head' lines, only a small thing but under test conditions terminology has a habit of confusing some, :???: :upside:
rjwybrow
Sage
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Sage »

Thanks for that Roy... Yes we call them shooting heads across her to.. Lots of the lads use them in the surf
to gain the extra distance when chaseing Kowhai
as they come in after the white bait..

Regards Mac.
John Waters
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by John Waters »

Thanks for all your questions Mac, you are well in advance of me so I would be asking the same and more.

Good stuff,

John
blackwater
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by blackwater »

Sage wrote:Task#11 E &D Roll Cast pick up I assume this is of course
Dynamic pick up as in Spey ?
used for ??? Could you list a few ...Sinking lines , Nymphs weighted ,, how many should we sort out....
When i did my test the roll cast pick up was just a standard roll cast thrown into the air so you can start false casting without the line hitting the water.

It is not a dynamic roll cast.
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Brian is correct. The Roll Cast pickup is using a roll cast to aerielise the line in preparation for an overhead cast. Good for sink tips, sinking lines, sink tip lines. Also useful for keeping line outside the rod tip when fishing of course - in fact that's it's main use IMO.

Dynamic Roll is not covered in the CCI test.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions