PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

New CCI Test - Candidate just asking for help

RexW
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by RexW »

ennio wrote:
RexW wrote:Answer the question as though you were teaching a student that did not know anything about a tailing loop.

Rex, if you will allow me ... If I had a student who didn't know anything about tailing loops, and didn't cast tailing loops, I wouldn't teach them!
:D

Andrew

You don't have know what a tailing loop is to cast one. :)

Besides, if you teach them to cast a tailing loop, you can generate some repeat business. :D
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

A picture says a thousand words. I like it when someone comes along with a tool or an idea I haven't seen before. I'm surprised more people don't bring whiteboards. You can bring a small one, it doesn't have to be the size of a door.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Chris Dore
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Chris Dore »

So we can bring videos and pics on our iPhones?
SCOTT Pro Staff
www.CHRISDORE.com
Lasse Karlsson
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Chris

Do you use it for teaching?

If yes, then by all means do it, but have more than that in your toolbox!

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Gone.....
Chris Dore
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Chris Dore »

Cool. Just concerned with candidates relying more on technology etc rather than rod, line and clear explanations.
SCOTT Pro Staff
www.CHRISDORE.com
Lasse Karlsson
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Chris

The teaching part is where the candidates get to show of, if you use a videocamera, pictures, whiteboard, whatever, then bring it.

I've had people use their smartphones, cardboard pictures, etc. and it only hurts if the explanations don't match or are copicat from the internet without understanding the bigger picture,

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Gone.....
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Slow motion videos of tailing loops, fantastic. I often use a video camera when teaching.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Michal Duzynski
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Hi All
You can even cut french baguet in a half ( lenght wise) to demonstrate what parallel loops should look like :-)) :-))
this will show to your assesors, that you were not only casting in the park, but acctualy doing some research, of how you can teach and simply explain things to the beginer.

then you can eat the baguett and everybody wins
cheers
mike
Big Eyebrow
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Big Eyebrow »

Hi Michal,
What about that fantastic 'Coffee Filter' tool of yours to explain Convex stroke, short stroke/long stroke/SLP, brilliant M8. :D :upside:
rjwybrow
Michal Duzynski
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Michal Duzynski »

...all yours guys, I would feel honored knowing that this can help our new CCI's ( and this was Hayssie seeing this for the first time)
..from the other hand, when I took my test, I've told to come with new ideas, everybody can watch youtube of Mel, and when asked how do you teach DBL HAUL say -DOWN UP.
it is great and simple way to teach it, but doesnt show any effort from the candidate.

Funny thing with the french baguett
Im practicing my distance with TCR, 10year old boy comes to me with a sandwich in his hand,with out saying hi, he put his meal down and ask "Can I Try".
With out to much hastle I took the sandwich ( he put it on my t-shirt) split it in a half and showed him how the line should look like in the air.
The biggest smile on his and my face, was when I decided to teach him the Roll Cast with tail wind.
We set the D-loop,(step by step) and with his first casting stroke the line went aroud 40' straighting out compleatly- and this was what he wanted to see.
Fun expirience
cheers
mike
cinick
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by cinick »

Hi guys, thanks for the clarification around teachiong aides. I guess each candadate will need to look at their own presentation and decide how they may or may not utilise these in theoir test ensuring they arent just copying current material off the net without the understanding.

This thread has been fantastic, and has stayed on topic, could we please continue to direct this thread to the test.....if I want a baguett or sandwhich I'll go to the fridge to get one ;) lol

Thanks guys....

Rick.
The thread police :cool:
Sage
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Sage »

Q ..some explainations quote,,, Casting Stroke...and others quote,,, Casting Arc..

My understanding.! :???: Am I on the right track?

" You have the line out ready for a PUALD. the slack is out of the line..you then are about to start lifting the line off the grass into the CASTING STROKE..

On reaching a point in this lift ( say about 11 oclock)
the CASTING STROKE has a name change and also becomes ..CASTING ARC..both names are used until the
Stop/RSP 1 ..2...or..3

If this is correct...

Then the quote.".Loops are determind by the path of the rod tip during the casting stroke"

Is correct as would be also Casting Arc!!

Have I understood this correctly .
or do I get knocked back??????

Best regards,

Mac..
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Rick, guys,

I'm a great believer in "Key Points". Each task has its own set of key points as well as sometimes sub points. My advice would be to go through each question/task and list key points. You can divide them up into performance and teaching if you want. I do when I examine.

For example, Roll Cast Key Points. Slide line along surface. D-loop down wind. Anchor stationary, half rod length away, and aligned to target. Rod canted. Tip inside anchor. Start stroke with Drag, then Rotate. Lower tip to surface.

Many of the key points are on the exam paper. When you practise teaching this stuff have a little note pad of Key Points with you as you practise your explanations. Keeping quiet I think is often the wrong advice, if you know your stuff, get it out there. As Haysie says, "you are the boss" and since he may well be one of your examiners, then be the boss. Tell him where you want him to stand, ask him can he see the loops, teach him. Nail the topic at hand and there's no need for him to figure out how to ask you a question without giving you the answer. Because when you start giving the wrong answers that's when life becomes difficult.

Oh and another thing while I think about it, if you make a bad cast, don't look to see if the examiners noticed it - of course they did. Just tell them, "that's not what I meant, guys, ha! That went wrong because of this...." and then fix the problem. Then it's absolutely not an issue. If I have to say, "was there anything you didn't like about that cast?" then it's become an issue. You are the instructor.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Mac,

Casting Arc is the angle change of rod. Casting Stroke Length is the distance the rod translates. Casting Stroke is the combined two.

Not official FFF definitions because there aren't any, but these definitions are widely accepted and may help.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
cinick
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by cinick »

Paul, your comment....

"if you make a bad cast, don't look to see if the examiners noticed it - of course they did. Just tell them, "that's not what I meant, guys, ha! That went wrong because of this...." and then fix the problem"

is possibly the best advice (amoungst all of this great advice and support) I have got so far.

I had wondered what happened if I make a bad cast while under pressure.

Previously I probably would have just thought that was then, game over!

It might even be advantageous to be able to explain what I did wrong and then show the correct method.....not that I'll aim to screw up :)