PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Hello - Introduction

Viking Lars
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Viking Lars »

Welcome to the board, Chris - it's a crazy, yet lovely place to hang out here at Paul's campfire :-)

Lars
Great flycasters don't think straight - they track straight.....

If it moves - and shouldn't, use duct tape...
If it's stuck - and should move, use WD40...
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Not only bleak Bill, but also a lengthy process,
After four years of practicing and experimenting with long-distance fly casting techniques, I was able to cast over a hundred feet.

It should not take anything like that amount of time to learn to throw 100ft. This would definitely be a case for spending time with a distance casting coach. I've had it that someone goes from 75-100ft in one lesson but that's rare, more often it's a couple of lessons with 2-4 weeks of practise in-between. Sometimes it takes the summer.

A genuine four years of practise should have you throwing into the 120s and being a threat in competitions.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Bill Gammel
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bill Gammel »

Chris, I am being very critical so please forgive me if I misread what you wrote.

You wrote "In addition to practicing the fundementals I try to think up a small tweak or change that I can incorporate each time I practice." This sounds like it is almost random changes to see what works. You don't have to guess. Once you recognize what the perfect loop looks like, you will know it when you see it and know it when you don't see it.

Paul has some great content in his casting page and his articles page. Many people have contributed there. Bruce Richards wrote The Six Step Method and I wrote an article Making Adjustments on the Fly. These two articles and a knowledge of the five essentials will allow you to keep from guessing.

Having already achieved the level that you are at, I think you need to start diagnosing your own casting.

Bill
Bernd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bernd »

Hi Chris,
welcome on board. If I'd be you I'd take a lesson with Mike (victor) for sure! That will improve your skills in short time for sure.
Much harder to improve via internet "only".
Best
Bernd
Bernd Ziesche
www.first-cast.de
Chris09
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Chris09 »

Bill / Paul

Just to clarify - the line about 4 years practice to attain a 100ft cast was a quote from another forum. The second part of the quote was what interested me when the chap said 'he needed to find his own way'. To some extent I can relate to that comment. Although I consider myself lucky to have the benefit of regularly attending a local casting club and I have recently received some great advice from instructors at a recent BFCC event.

The combination of attending the casting club and regular solo practice has given me a reasonable understanding of the basic fundamentals of casting. The instructor at our local casting club is a strong advocate of and actively encourages self diagnosis of our own casting faults to help further improve our overall understanding.

The small tweaks and changes I refer to aren't random and are usually the result of discussions with other fly fishing friends or reading books and articles such as those on Sexyloops.

The following are examples of tweaks and changes that I might play around with during any given practice session. I will only usually tinker with one thing in any session and only for a part of the session.

Altering size and shape of my loops.
Playing with trajectory i.e. aiming the cast higher especially for distance casts.
Increasing and watching my had path movement.
Video analysis and adjustments to my tracking.
Experimenting with throwing loops straight over the top of the rod vs loops just to the side of the rod.
Hauling longer and faster but taking power out of the casting hand.
Experimenting with drifting and how far the rod can / should go back on a longer distance cast.
Experimenting with how much line I feel comfortable picking up before I start a distance cast.
Experimenting with the amount of false casts required to achieve a good and relatively quick distance cast.

I read a lot of articles including those on Sexyloops and these inspire me to experiment and try new approaches. I regularly practice 2-3 times a week and I think this approach keeps the sessions fresh, exiting and interesting.

More recent sessions have been focused mainly on the key elements outlined by Paul earlier in this thread.

I acknowledge that my approach may not be the best, quickest or the only way.

I do welcome and respect your views.

Cheers

Chris
Chris09
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Chris09 »

Bill

Just one other thing.

I have just looked up your article - making adjustments on the fly.

The instructor at our casting club pointed me to this article earlier in my casting journey. I followed the exercise very closely and it led to a Eureka moment in terms of my loop formation. I found that advice on taking the power out of the cast invaluable.

I never thought I would one day be speaking to the author and be able to thank him in person.

Many thanks Bill.

Chris

Bernd - Mike and I are some distance apart but it would be great to arrange a lesson if the opportunity arises.
White Hunter
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by White Hunter »

Hi Chris

If you are travelling up to Manchester but would be prepared to go one hour further to Cumbria to reach your goal, drop in for a session and i will do my best to take you too 100ft.. I will be hitting distance hard everyday now for the next three week..
Your instructor knows how to get here, it ain't that bad of a journey mate.... ;)

Cheers
Lee
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Chris, the thing is this, a nice straight loop with respectable carry coupled with a fast haul will go 100ft no problems. So it really is about putting a solid cast together. Little tweaks may mean a foot difference at extreme distance, but what you should be trying to accomplish right now is a solid repeatable casting stroke. That's why Bill's throwing into the wind idea is such a good one (and surprising coming from Bill). Also believe it or not throwing at targets is a great exercise. Get this nailed, throw in a fast haul and you have 100ft!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Chris09
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Chris09 »

Hi Lee

That is a very kind offer that I would love to accept.

I live in Manchester so getting to Cumbria is not a problem for me.

I can fit in with anytime or date that is convenient for you.

I didn't realise that you knew the instructor at our local casting club.

Paul - thanks again for your advice.

I feel very motivated and humbled that you all take the time to offer this great advice.

Cheers

Chris
White Hunter
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by White Hunter »

Hi Chris

Your welcome, if any other friends you know from the casting club have similar aspirations, share a car and I will see to them on the day too..

Cheers

Lee
Chris09
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Chris09 »

Lee

Just sent you a PM.

Unfortunately it's only really me who is interested in the distance casting side of things but I will ask.

Our club instructor, who you have met, may be up for tagging along so I will ask him too.

Cheers

Chris
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

See if you get Adam Denes to tail along. He should meet Lee before he comes back to Hungary. They're both nuts.

Cheers,
Paul

Flycasting Definitions
ennio
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by ennio »

I do have a name you know ... :D

Andrew
Bill Gammel
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bill Gammel »

Chris, to listen to Paul it is amazing that I ever wrote anything useful. Glad I got lucky and was able to help. I suggest getting help from Lee or Mike and stick with your club it much easier with the help of others even if they just watch and describe what they saw.

Bill
Chris09
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Chris09 »

I took up the kind offer from Lee and travelled up to Cumbria to have a session with him today.

The first thing that I have to say is that Lee is one of most generous, friendly and down to earth people I have ever met. His casting was awesome too.

We had a very long session that far exceed my expectations. Despite the conditions not being ideal (hardly any breeze) it wasn't long before I had hit my goal of 100ft. :D

That was only the beginning. Lee then went on to push both my physical and casting capabilities to the absolute limits. He has laid a very solid foundation for me to build on and hopefully continue to move forward.

Lee - I can't thank you enough for the opportunity.

Cheers

Chris