PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Hello - Introduction

Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

Chris09 wrote:With regards to hauling on a Spey cast I found this video clip. There definitely appears to be a haul and good distance achieved.
hi Chris,
that's not really a haul because there's no pulling.
his line hand is slower than the rod hand and it does 'pull' the line a bit but it's negligible in it's effect.

cheers,
marc
Chris09
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Chris09 »

Thanks for clarification Marc.

So far I have tried the following 3 ways:

1. Without a Haul on the backcast
2. Same as in the video i.e. holding the line but not really pulling / hauling on the backcast
3. Applying a short haul on the backcast.

Option 3 seems to give me the best results in terms of distance and how dynamic the cast feels.

I realise that this may be down to my overall technique and perhaps the equipment used. I will keep tinkering to see what fits best.

I'm just conscious that I don't want to engrain any bad habits.

Work pressures are getting less so I anticipate doing some further practice over the Christmas period.

Best wishes to all for Christmas and thanks for all the advice provided on this thread so far.

Cheers

Chris
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Chris,

I'll chase the TCX. I left it in the UK to be sent. So either it hasn't gone, which is unlikely, or I'll visit the post office in Essex next week. Typical - I send it from the UK so it doesn't get lost in Hungary and it gets lost in the UK! I have a few other bits and pieces at Latohegy, maybe enough to make a distance rod - I'll check.

The differences in distance was around a meter, maybe slightly more, certainly consistently more. The casts were only measured to a bank side mark in this case (although I have measured Switch casts down the tape, I haven't measured this). And no I was following the line back, keeping the hands together.

Anyway, it's worthwhile experimenting with both.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Chris09
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Chris09 »

Paul

Thanks for the update on the rod and the additional Spey cast info.

Please don't put yourself out chasing up on the rod. I'm sure you have plenty of other things to do a week before Christmas.

All the best.

Chris
Chris09
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Chris09 »

Went out for a few hours today to try my new DH rod and line.

I focused on trying to get the basic elements of a switch cast right. I was occasionally hitting the 'sweet spot' and the line was shooting out well.

The two early things that I think I need to improve on are:

- Preventing the anchor from crashing to heavily on the water. I'm a dipper on the backward sweep and I need to stop doing it!
- Bottom hand dominance - I had to force myself to pull rather than push the rod tip over. This doesn't come natural to me but it's very effective if I get it right.

I also need to play around with the spacing between my hands. Holding the cork near the top of the rod seems most effective but also most unnatural.

Finally, I realised that I don't know the best way to hold the excess line that i'm about to shoot. I tried it under both hands and favoured the bottom. However, it did have a tendency to jump over and slap the back of the reel when I got a decent shoot.
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

The TCR hybrid is still in Coggeshall, Chris. Sorry about that. I'll have it sent up to you ASAP. This will probably be in about ten days! You'll certainly have to reinforce the second section up.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Chris09
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Chris09 »

No problem Paul.

Thanks for letting me know.

Cheers

Chris
Chris09
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Chris09 »

A Salmon angler came along to the casting club today and explained how to loop and hold the line before a shoot. It was fairly easy once explained and I was grateful for the advice.
Chris09
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Chris09 »

Plenty of two-hander casting advice at the casting club today.

Trying some suggested changes took me well outside my comfort zone and identified faults that have already started to become ingrained even in the short period of time I have been using the two-hander.

We discussed the need to start practicing left hand up so I can cast off the other side. This is really alien and takes me even further outside my comfort zone.

I quizzed Andrew and another qualified instructor on their thoughts and experiences in obtaining a single-handed casting qualification. I would like to find out a bit more about the GAIA route.

Does anyone know if I can download the syllabus on the internet? I can't find it on the GAIA website.
TrevH
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by TrevH »

I would also have a look at AAPGAI. You can download their syllabus at their website and they also have some instructor taster week ends coming up which are great fun, and an open day in March in Cumbria. www.aapgai.co.uk :)

Cheers
Trev
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

I'll be in Cumbria, it's a good meet.

Flycasting Definitions
Chris09
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Chris09 »

Thanks Trev and Paul

I have searched for the syllabus but can only find the MastersTroutSyllabusoct09. I can't find anything for GAIA.

My primary reason for considering a qualification is to give myself a challenge and a bit more focus. I understand that the AAPGAI route may be more expensive than GAIA so the overall cost would be a consideration. That said the meeting in Cumbria looks like a good opportunity to see what it entails for £50.

I want to start practicing DH casting left side up and I was searching the internet for any casting drills that might help. I found this video showing a method to train the left hand up and further reading suggests it can be very effective in quickly developing muscle memory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKeG7ZMTXBc

I intend to give it a try for DH left side up but also to see if I can train my left had to cast a SH rod. I find that even when sitting in the house I can get my left hand to mimic the casting movement of my right hand so it looks promising.
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

To be perfectly honest Chris, until you're completely fluent with both hands up I wouldn't recommend instructing. That will take a great deal of practise to perfect in your own casting. And it is certainly a requirement at AAPGAI level. I'm sure it's the same for GAIA. Definitely come for the AAPGAI weekend, it will be great to see you there!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Chris09
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Chris09 »

Thanks Paul

I was only considering a single handed casting qualification and I didn't think that you needed to be fluent with both hands to achieve this. I expected that some right handed casting off the left shoulder would be required.

The DH stuff is totally new to me and I intend to start casting with left side up from the start if I can.
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Ah! Yes that makes more sense :)

Happy to help in any way.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions