PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Hello - Introduction

Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Great stuff, Chris! What's your next goal? :cool:

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Chris09
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Chris09 »

Hot bath a couple of paracetamol and some sleep.

Then tomorrow I'll pinch myself and check it all really happened.

Then I might set a new goal. :D
ennio
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by ennio »

We need to find a longer field for Wednesday :D

Andrew
Bill Gammel
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bill Gammel »

That's great, no wind means that it was all you. What weight rod were you using?

Bill
Chris09
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Chris09 »

Hi Bill - the initial hit was on a # 6 rod.

After sleeping on things I have decided what my new goal should be (initially).

Consolidation of all the key elements that got me to 100ft. Being able to consistently float the line to 100 ft with good form and control. After I can do that I may think more distance.

Once I can achieve this I may need to consider upgrading my much loved and well used Shakespeare Oddesey rod. I bought this rod new for less than £25 on Andrews recommendation and it has served me well. However I think 100ft may be close to ithe limit of its capability.
White Hunter
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by White Hunter »

It was great to meet you Chris and thank you very much for the kind comments.
Sessions like that are how it rolls when we meet up at Sexyloops, basically casting all day, trying new stuff and pushing limits. If you can get to next years Scottish meet I would recommend that you do so, you will enjoy it enormously and will be able to put your skills to good use in the shootout... :cool:

Cheers

Lee

P.s your next aim should be to upgrade that 30m tape measure to a 50 :)
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

The next distance jump is 110-115. That will make you a very rare caster. Finding good form at 100 and reaching 110-115 is the same thing! Learning to throw 115 becomes interesting because you have to start playing around to see what works - which is pretty much where we started this thread :p.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
TrevH
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by TrevH »

Congratulations, Chris. Great achievement and great thread :-)
Bill Gammel
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bill Gammel »

That is great casting. I was going to tell you to go with a lighter rod, but a 6 wt is impressive. I would do what Paul said and set my sights on 110+ and cast into the wind every chance I got. I would set a goal of 95 -100 feet into a 10 mph wind. You would be amazed at how easy the loop will travel into that wind when every thing is formed correctly and you have proper line speed. It forces late rotation.

One thing I would add that may not be agreed with here, but I would work on my rod hand speed. I would cast with no haul with an emphasis on increasing rod hand speed. I think this plus a fast haul will give you great casting. There is a great deal of emphasis put on haul speed lately. I think it comes from men who already have great rod hand speed. They were already great casters before they started studying haul speed. I believe there is a benefit to both. If you have never worked on hand speed then you may not have good rod hand speed.

Just something more to think about.

Bill
Chris09
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Chris09 »

Thanks all for the additional steers - it's much appreciated.

Rod hand speed and late rotation are all things I need to improve on. I had exiting glimpses yesterday of what rewards they can provide when executed well.
Chris09
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Chris09 »

It's clear that my £25 Shakespeare Odyssey rod will only take my distance casting so far.

My wife reminded my tonight that the our next big purchase needs to be an adapted bike or trike for our disabled daughter. As these are not cheap my upgrade will either have to wait or be done on a tight budget.

I'm thinking of looking in the classifieds or ebay for a distance casting rod that might have come out a few years back and therefore dropped in value. However my knowledge of distance casting rods is very limited. Can anyone recommend any specific rods that would have been considered good a few years ago but have now been superseded by later versions.

I suspect the answer might be that a decent rod will hold its value. However the Shakespeare rod is a good example of a budget but still reasonable fishing rod.

Any advice welcome.

Cheers

Chris
White Hunter
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by White Hunter »

My wife reminded my tonight that the our next big purchase needs to be an adapted bike or trike for our disabled daughter. As these are not cheap my upgrade will either have to wait or be done on a tight budget.

Understand your situation bigtime, how far are you wanting to cast......?
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

H Chris,

I've got four pieces of four different rods you can have. It's a rod I've been using for fishing and distance work, but I have my own rods now. PM me your address and I'll get this over to you in about a week. The second section is suspect but I may have a spare at Latohegy.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Chris09
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Chris09 »

Many thanks Paul.

I have sent you a PM.
Chris09
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Chris09 »

A Level results and concerns over future fees creating unusual and unnecessary family tensions today.

A 3 hour distance casting session was a welcome and relaxing break tonight. Chilling further now with a glass of red.

Only three more weeks until the BFCC event in Glasgow and a further opportunity to pick up more casting hints and tips.

I have been following the Norway thread with interest. It's good to see the sport growing in popularity. I recognise that some of you have put in some significant training for this event. Just wanted to say good luck to everyone and I hope that all your efforts pay off.