PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Definition of Casting Stroke Length

Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Definition of Casting Stroke Length

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Bernd,

we decided to go from distance the rod hand travels to distance the rod translates because a) it fits better with the definition of Casting Arc (Change of rod-angle during a Casting Stroke.) and more importantly b) eliminates double handed issues.

We didn't make the changes to the list at the time because a) making changes was a criticism against them and b) I was hoping that the FFFDC committee would get involved in making some changes and they could have had the idea and we could have been flexible in allowing it to happen.

Cheers,
Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Magnus
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Magnus »

we decided to go from distance the rod hand travels to distance the rod translates...

Really? Did we? I don't recall that discussion. I do recall several problems with using 'rod translation', particularly if applied to DH casting. Where on the rod are you measuring translation Paul?
Casting Definitions

"X-rays will prove to be a hoax."
"Radio has no future."
"Heavier than air flying machines are impossible."
Lord Kelvin
wjc
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by wjc »

Hi Paul,

Are these still the sexyloops definitions of Stroke and Casting Stroke?

Stroke (or Overall Stroke): A coordinated series of movements which includes a Casting Stroke.
A Stroke starts when the rod hand first moves in the direction of the cast.

Casting Stroke: When the rod applies force to the line in order to form a loop.

So that creep is contained withing the " Stroke" but outside the "Casting Stroke".

And the definitions you and Bernd are talking about are FFF definitions?

If so, in theirs then creep and drift are contained within the casting stroke and they have only one stoke in their definitions instead of two ?

Thanks,
Jim
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

No we're just talking about Sexyloops definitions. And namely that of casting stroke! What we're discussing essentially means the same, it's simply a case of wording.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Bernd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bernd »

Thanks guys,
I think now I got it.

If I only rotate my rod hand without translational movement, that means there is no stroke length according to the new definition, right?

In regard of Magnus's question maybe it would be good to take the "center of rotation point" of the rod instead of "rod hand" or "the rod"?

Greets
Bernd
Bernd Ziesche
www.first-cast.de
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

measuring it at the rod tip is what really matters.
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

I've never measured it, although I've often used the term in teaching, as I'm sure we all have. We certainly use it in exams. If you were going to measure Casting Stroke Length, as opposed to Complete Stroke Length, I think you would have a hard time doing so. Be that as it may, there would be a number of possible ways of actual measuring; rod butt, top hand, reel, a very complicated fulcrum point equation, and some will always measure rod tip. Are we, as people who have never measured these things, supposed to inform those who would like to measure these things at some point in the future, exactly how they must go about it? I think not. If we call it simply Rod Translation that's enough for me and allows a certain amount of flexibility without compromising its meaning.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

If I only rotate my rod hand without translational movement, that means there is no stroke length

Yes this is the position I take. The rod would simply rotate.

Flycasting Definitions
Magnus
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Magnus »

In regard of Magnus's question maybe it would be good to take the "center of rotation point" of the rod instead of "rod hand" or "the rod"?

Not possible Bernd.
Have a look at Gordy's analysis of how the instant centre of rotation 'flows' during a stoke - the CoR normally moves during a stroke.

For DH rods the argument was about using one of the hands or the reel or... as an arbitrary point on which a definition can be standardized. (I favour the reel btw.)
Casting Definitions

"X-rays will prove to be a hoax."
"Radio has no future."
"Heavier than air flying machines are impossible."
Lord Kelvin