PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Exmouth in November?

Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Exmouth in November?

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi guys,

What is Nov-Dec like? Is it very wet or just a build up? And most importantly, how is the fishing?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
plugcaster
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by plugcaster »

It was ok the last couple of years, I left Devon December last year.

Most of the estuaries should still have bass in them, chance of a biggie as well. For an easy session with plenty of action try Teignmouth estuary from half tide down. Evenings or better still early mornings are best.

Best of the fishing is beside the channel marker at the river mouth on the Teignmouth side, or on the wall that runs along the Shaldon side. Sandeel imitations on a fast sink line cast square or 45 degrees downstream do the business.

On the Shaldon side, there is a beach around the corner from the river. This can fish well at dusk and into darkness for mackerel and bass. Access is through a tunnel next to the zoo. If you're there in the evenings watch out for the nutter in the tunnel. Never had any problems with him but he seems to like hanging around in there in one of the corners. Sometimes he is on the beach throwing big rocks into the water and screaming at them so he isn't difficult to spot.

There are some good shots along Dawlish Warren for bass, but again the river mouth gives the most consistent sport. Same tactics, and same state of tide will get you among the bass.

:cool:
Jeroen
BBBB No5

Post by Jeroen »

Hehe, Plugcaster, I seriously believe Paul means Exmouth, Western Australia..
Cheers for the headsup on that area.
Will
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Will »

:D

I think you're right Jeroen, but now the lure of the nutter-in-the-tunnel might be too much for him and he'll cancel his Oz trip.

Good info. plug!

W.
Lineslinger
Barrio Pro-team
SGAIC
AAPGAI

"The only advice it is necessary to give the angler… is to avoid any approach to foppery, as trout have the most thorough contempt for a fop…”
WC Stewart
plugcaster
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by plugcaster »

I did wonder about whether I had the right Exmouth :D

That gentleman who stands in the tunnel is very disturbed! First time I saw him I was fishing the rocks at the east end of the beach. He paced back and forward for about 15 minutes behind me and I thought he might have a problem with anglers. Nope, he had a problem with the rocks at the base of the cliff. Now some of these were seriously big rocks, but he had no problem picking them up above his head and throwing them into the sea. Or screaming obscenities at them after he threw them.

Although he wasn't that close, I decided moving to the other end of the beach was the best course of action.

I fished on well into the darkness, heading back into the tunnel about 10.45pm.

When you leave the beach there is quite a large flight of steps to climb before reaching the main tunnel floor. This continues up a gentle incline before turning left and heading toward the exit. As I went into the tunnel I could hear noises but thought nothing of it, probably kids or something? After maybe ten steps the noises stopped, and all I could hear were my own footsteps echoing through the tunnel.

As I approached the bend something made me look right, and there, standing in the corner smiling a psycho smile was my friend from the beach! I smiled back, said hi and carried on walking towards the exit whilst trying to make myself look as big as humanly possible :laugh:

God only knows what he was up to? I didn't look back to find out.
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Thanks Peter! That does give me another option to consider :cool:
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Jeroen
BBBB No5

Post by Jeroen »

Will wrote::D

I think you're right Jeroen, but now the lure of the nutter-in-the-tunnel might be too much for him and he'll cancel his Oz trip.

Good info. plug!

W.

Thinking about the same thing. The rock throwing reminds me of fishing buddy. Wondered where he was gone..
Running the gauntlet of the nutter in the tunnel might be the extra challenge needed...
Tony Ong
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Tony Ong »

A group of us usually head to Exmouth late December, early January. You don't get a build up for the wet like you do further north. Don't really get too much rain that time of the year, unless you get hit by a cyclone. The wind blows when it feels like it, but I'm assuming thay you'll be there for more than a couple of weeks. Our last few christmas trips have seen us hammered by the wind. I feel it's one of the best times to visit Exmouth. Water is starting to warm up, and so does the fishing. It's a great time to visit if you can manage to dodge the wind.