PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Angle of back cast?

redcoat
IB3 Member Level 1

Angle of back cast?

Post by redcoat »

Hi,

Newbe question - what is the ideal angle of the back cast?

Should it get higher as you have more line out?

thanks!

red
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Redcoat,

In general the backcast will get lower with more line out; consider a very short line will have a close target at front, the backcast should straighten approx 180 degrees from this and should straighten well above the horizontal.

Cheers Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
redcoat
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by redcoat »

makes sense. Was thinking that with a longer line gravity would cause it to drop, so I should aim it above the horizontal - or is that negligible?
Lasse Karlsson
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi David

You're right, aim the backcast higher because it will drop as it unrolls :)

But it's not much higher unless you're carrying alot of line :)

Backcast loops

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Gone.....
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Yes but you have to avoid the tailing loop. So the longer the line the lower the backcast - but still above the horizontal. Take a 10ft pick up and laydown, small angle lift, narrow casting arc for tight loop, loop travels high directly opposite the target. 40 feet pick up and laydown, larger angle lift, larger casting arc (still tight loop), loop travels lower, directly opposite target.

OK that's roughly it and doesn't take into account wind, hover or shooting line for distance! But at the other end of the spectrum you're also right and a high backcast can be good for distance. Me, if I have a tail wind I'll throw the backcast as as low and tight as I dare, so that it straightens just above the ground.

In general I think it's better to think of 180 than trying to break it to compensate for gravity. I think the integrity of the loop is most important.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Bill Gammel
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bill Gammel »

Redcoat,
There is truth in both statements. It depends on what the situation is. In general, I think Paul's last post is a good summary. I like the 180 statement. The higher back cast on distance casting comes with a longer carry. I think a good goal for a distance caster is to be able to throw a full 90 -100 foot fly line with a high backcast and low front cast. It is not until you get past that distance that it really takes altering your trajectory. If this is not true for you, my advice would be to focus on tight loops and high line speed.

Lasse, Paul is starting to surprising me. He is almost starting to sound like a casting instructor.
Bernd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bernd »

Hi Red,
I like to teach:

1. Forward & back cast should be as close along a straight line (180°) as possible.

2. Trajectory should match the target.

How does this look like on the water?

If you cast to the fish next to you, your back cast should aim above horizontal and your forward cast should aim about the same amount (like your bc aims above horizontal) below horizontal. So your forward trajectory goes downwards and both back cast and forward cast are "in line" (180°).

If you cast to the fish swimming 120 feet away of your feet, your forward trajectory should aim upwards as long as there will not be wind coming towards you. If there will be wind coming towards you, your trajectory should be horizontal. Strong wind can mean to aim just below the horizontal here as well.

The key in understanding the 180° concept is in understanding the effect of wind and gravity to the unrolling fly line.

Short head (but 120 feet distance shoot) means to aim the back cast below horizontal and shoot it (slightly) on an upwards trajectory. Again if there will be wind coming towards you, aim for horizontal trajectory on the forward cast here. A strong tail wind can mean to aim the back cast horizontal here, too.

Long head (long belly line for example) means to aim the back cast trajectory upwards but to match the unrolled fly line on your back cast to be as good in a straight line with your forward trajectory as possible. So without wind against you (for example no wind at all) the back cast trajectory on a long carry should aim upwards and then during unrolling the flyline will sink (by gravity) and finally be "in line" with the forward trajectory to go slightly upwards. But again if there is some tail wind it will be best to aim for a horizontal trajectory on the back cast while using a long head this is! With the short head I still would aim slightly below horizontal until it gets a strong tail wind(as written above).

All in all:

1. 180° concept

2. match trajectory to the target (casting distance) and the wind

For a better understanding let me add: Aiming a long head to unroll horizontally will give smallest surface for the wind to lift the line (upward trajectory) or push it down (downward trajectory).

Greets
Bernd
Bernd Ziesche
www.first-cast.de