PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Holding fish by the jaw

skeg
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by skeg »

+1 on the grab style of the "pro competition bass fishermen"...those who adopted are just stupid, thinking it's kinda "kool". :angry:

as Bernd said, the boga's effect depending on the fish (size,species), but mostly on the angler using it.
trashing fish espec. pike could break their jawbones.

The concept of boga grip was originally - I think - is NOT lifting the fish out of the water. Just lift the head a bit, get out the hook, and let it go. lippers, what do not rotate, are even more dangerous. Saying all those, I just use my little boga only when I intend to keep and kill the fish... :closedeyes:
Peter
"...fish like a demon with a mission"-Sudesh

...just one more last cast
James9118
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by James9118 »

When the official website hosts pictures like these: http://www.boga-grip.com/testimonial/testimonial.html is it any wonder we get poor fish handling?
mikez
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by mikez »

As an aside I would like to point out that if you are ever in North America and you have the unfortunate thought that you should grasp a Lake Trout (Salvelinus Namaycush) by the jaw with a thumb grip so you can release it without taking it out of the water like you would with say a small mouth bass, or a brook trout or a rainbow, please remember that these fish get to the size that they are by eating (lots of) fish. They have teeth. The thumb grip while effective is distinctly non-slip.
tomo
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by tomo »

Research studies aside, I want to be as gentle as possible when handling and returning trout, there seams much better ways to achieve this than by the jaw,

Cheers, Tom.
flybye
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by flybye »

Excellent thread, unfortunately I got a Boga grip for Xmas. Last year I had a 87cm Bass that I returned un-weighed
so was unable to claim double figures. My moaning inspired the gift but it seems I won't be able to use it........
never complain, never explain