PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Please help! Pulling and straight line path?

Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Take approx 6m of flyline outside the tip and practise throwing tight loops with minimum force in all planes. Add a crisp stop and it should feel like you're firing the line off the rod tip. I have little or no conscious awareness of my rod hand's path when casting. I have a pretty good idea of how and when it applies force, and its relation to the target, but it's really the least of my concerns: Think loop, think target. I think your objective should be (and I believe is?) to know how it looks and feels to throw tight consistent loops. You learn this through experimentation with a short length of line.

Lefty's advice is to try throwing the line into the tip of the rod. That works. Short length of line, lots of play, throwing at targets.

OK it's late and I have to be up early again, so if that doesn't make any sense just ignore it! :p

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Aitor
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Aitor »

Paul Arden wrote:It's possible to pull the rod and rotate though the stroke as well as pull the rod to rotate late. If Mel was trying to teach delayed rotation then he did a very poor job of it! However I don't think he was, instead he was trying to make good use of the shoulder joint, as opposed to casting by applying the majority of force by extending the elbow.
Better to let Mel explain himself:

In the pull through casting stroke, the casting hand precedes the rod tip through most of the casting stroke and the turnover and stop takes place only at end of the casting stroke... Lay out 70 or so feet of fly line on a lawn behind you, fly rod pointing to the fly, and throw a javelin, turning the rod over only at the very end of the throw. You may be pleasantly surprised with this extreme pull through casting motion.
Attachments
Mel_pulling.gif
Mel_pulling.gif (143.15 KiB) Viewed 2500 times
Aitor is not like us, he is Spanish, and therefore completely mad.
Cheers
, Paul

No discutas nunca con un idiota, la gente podría no notar la diferencia.
Immanuel Kant

Videos for casting geeks
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Well unfortunately it's difficult to argue with him now. Maybe in a few years :p

Flycasting Definitions
Bernd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bernd »

Hello Aitor,
I understand Mel's goal was about saying late rotation (by pull through motion) is the key to good casting (without tailing loops).
He did not say anything about the loop shape here.

Also in his DVD's chapter about "the open or none loop" he explained:
"tighten up the arc" or "increasing the amount of rod bend" to transform the open loop into a tight one.
He did not say anything about that "Joe" was rotating the rod over the whole stroke when getting the open loop.

Mel also did not use this late rotation on his back cast when he explained the pull through. In fact he rotated the rod over the whole back cast stroke. Why would he have done that if tight loops would have been the target and he would have seen it as: late rotation = tight loops.

I pretty much like his concept of pulling vs. pushing like he explained it in the DVD. Very clear to me. It's just a different concept than "rotation at the right time" in order to control loop shape.

Again in his book I find:

a) matching the arc size to
b) the amount of bend in the rod
in regard of loop shape control.

If he explained the positioning of rotation during the stroke to be important here, I am still missing that part.

His book is faboulus without that part anyway ;) . At least we agree on that! :cool:

Greets
Bernd
Bernd Ziesche
www.first-cast.de
wjc
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by wjc »

Aitor,

That is a very interesting video. I assume that's Mel Krieger. It looks like a two-stage haul he's doing. Do you have a link to the whole video?

Cheers,
Jim
Aitor
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Aitor »

Paul Arden wrote:Well unfortunately it's difficult to argue with him now. Maybe in a few years :p
It won't be hard for you to convince him that when he thought he was pulling he was actually pushing. :p
Cheers
, Paul

Immanuel Kant

Videos for casting geeks
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Pretty sure I could convince him that I can delay rotation while pushing and rotate through a pulling stroke. Do you agree?

Flycasting Definitions
Bernd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bernd »

Paul Arden wrote:I can delay rotation while pushing and rotate through a pulling stroke.

I agree with that.
Since Mel did rotate through a pulling stroke on his back cast mostly he should at least agree with the second part of it.
I am not sure if Mel would call it to be a pushing motion on the fc as long as you wouldn't start to rotate the rod significally cause he was referring to the rod tip here (Aitor is right about this).
But still Mel's purpose was to avoid tailing loops on the forward cast not controlling loop size. That's why he was missing this tool in his bc and when talking about how to controll loop size.
Greets
Bernd
Bernd Ziesche
www.first-cast.de
Aitor
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Aitor »

Paul Arden wrote:Pretty sure I could convince him that I can delay rotation while pushing and rotate through a pulling stroke. Do you agree?

No, obviously I don't. In fact most probably he won't be very happy seeing the terms he coined being used to mean something totally different. :p
Cheers
, Paul

Immanuel Kant

Videos for casting geeks
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Hmm maybe it's a language thing. I'll try shoot a short video!

Flycasting Definitions
Merlin
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Merlin »

Confusion may come from the fact that pulling on the line means pushing on the rod
Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they wont´play if they're maltreated.
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
Bernd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bernd »

Hi Merlin,
do we push on the rod during the back cast?
I'd think we all pull the rod during the back cast.
Greets
Bernd

Paul,
let's discuss this in Norway. Much easier in person...
Cheers
B
Bernd Ziesche
www.first-cast.de
Merlin
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Merlin »

Bernd
I think Mel was speaking of a forward cast, but you are right in the case of a bc
Merlin
Bernd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bernd »

If I am right for the back cast then I think it is no problem at all to at least start the fc with pulling either. All we have to do is moving ellbow first.
Bernd Ziesche
www.first-cast.de
Merlin
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Merlin »

You may start the fc by pulling, but soon you have got to push.
Merlin