PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Please help! Pulling and straight line path?

Bernd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bernd »

Merlin wrote:You may start the fc by pulling, but soon you have got to push.
Merlin
Thinking it to be that way in my understanding is the main reason why I see only a very few casters being able to show identical loops both on the fc and bc.
I think it is possible to move the ellbow first to the same degree on both sides (back and forth). I'd agree it needs significant more training for the fc to improve.

Mostly when we stop thinking to be limitated we are at least less limitated. (I think?)

Very interesting point to me.
Bernd Ziesche
www.first-cast.de
gordonjudd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by gordonjudd »

In light of all this discussion, what path should my rod *hand* make? Is it a straight line, just pulled rather than pushed?

As Paul said it depends on the caster's style and the purpose of the cast but if you want to use a world class tournament caster as someone to emulate here is a link showing the hand path Chris Korich uses in his accuracy casts out to around 60 feet.

Chris is a "puller" and uses a hand path that is much more up to down than most beginning casters would intuitively use.

Gordy
"Flyfishing: 200 years of tradition unencumbered by progress." Ralph Cutter
Aitor
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Aitor »

gordonjudd wrote:Chris is a "puller" and uses a hand path that is much more up to down than most beginning casters would intuitively use.
Yes, because when you pull, your cast is mechanically much more efficient; your movements are much more subtle and controlled. Moreover, pulling helps lessen the possibility of tailing loops, every fly caster's arch enemy. These are pretty convincing arguments.
Aitor is not like us, he is Spanish, and therefore completely mad.
Cheers
, Paul

No discutas nunca con un idiota, la gente podría no notar la diferencia.
Immanuel Kant

Videos for casting geeks
Lasse Karlsson
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Aitor wrote:
gordonjudd wrote:Chris is a "puller" and uses a hand path that is much more up to down than most beginning casters would intuitively use.
Yes, because when you pull, your cast is mechanically much more efficient; your movements are much more subtle and controlled. Moreover, pulling helps lessen the possibility of tailing loops, every fly caster's arch enemy. These are pretty convincing arguments.
Really :???:
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Gone.....
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

The way I see it is this:

Pulling involves moving something towards me, in this case the rod butt.
Pushing involves moving something away from me, in this case also the rod butt.

Pulling down with the elbow moves the rod butt closer to the centre of my body. Pushing from the elbow moves the rod butt away from the centre of my body.

Rotation is turning the rod butt over. Translation is moving the rod butt through space. This is independent from pushing/pulling. I can pull the rod down and rotate at the end of the Casting Stroke, or with a fixed grip, I can rotate the rod throughout the Casting Stroke - I do this for accuracy.

For Distance I push by extending the elbow and rotate late using the finger/cradle grip. That's delayed rotation after pushing. Curiously I do the opposite of what Mel is describing, I rotate throughout a pulling stroke and delay rotation using a pushing stroke.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

Lasse Karlsson wrote:
Aitor wrote:Moreover, pulling helps lessen the possibility of tailing loops, every fly caster's arch enemy.

i agree. when pulling, many if not most will consciously or not pull down a bit, creating a convex tip path, thus opening the loop. :)
pushing, specially the common 'thrust' at the end of the stroke can very easily make the tip path go in a concave path.

cheers,
marc
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

As a cure for tails I think it has more to do with how the force is applied first, and then how that affects tip path, rather than the more simple direct hand-tip relationship. It very difficult (or at least harder) to throw tails when applying force through a rotation.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Aitor
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Aitor »

Lasse Karlsson wrote:
Aitor wrote:
I don't know Lasse, I learnt it here
Cheers
, Paul

Immanuel Kant

Videos for casting geeks
Aitor
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Aitor »

Paul Arden wrote:Curiously I do the opposite of what Mel is describing, I rotate throughout a pulling stroke and delay rotation using a pushing stroke.

Yes, becacuse what Mel called pulling and pushing is totally different to what SL calls pulling/pushing. Back to square number one. :)
Cheers
, Paul

Immanuel Kant

Videos for casting geeks
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

hi Paul !
i don't think of it so much as a cure for tailing loops although it can't hurt when going through various remedies !

here's the part i find most interesting-
Pulling involves moving something towards me, in this case the rod butt.
Pushing involves moving something away from me, in this case also the rod butt.
these motions are natural and as far as casting goes, there's enough motions that don't fit in with 'normal' every day motions that as instructors trying to help people become better casters, the more we manage to get them to stick to 'non-exotic' moves, the better.
i am referring of course to beginner and intermediate level students or people that need to reconstruct their casting ways, assuming the advanced will already have worked these things out.

cheers,
marc
Lasse Karlsson
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Aitor wrote:
Lasse Karlsson wrote:
Aitor wrote:
I don't know Lasse, I learnt it here
Hi Aitor

So you believe everything you read on the WWW :p

Same thing LOOP has been saying for decades, and I thought that SL was doing a pisstake on that, guess you live and you learn...

Energy saving casting style???

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Gone.....
Aitor
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Aitor »

Lasse Karlsson wrote:So you believe everything you read on the WWW
Lasse, in fact I believe in nothing whose logic is based just in the principle of authority. :p
Cheers
, Paul

Immanuel Kant

Videos for casting geeks
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Mel taught me to pull, but I only learned about delayed rotation after my visit to meet the 5-weight casters in the US.

Flycasting Definitions
Bernd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bernd »

Lasse Karlsson wrote:Energy saving casting style???

Cheers
Lasse
Hi Lasse,
first thing that comes to (my) mind when watching this video is that many casters do not find it energy saving when watching their back cast while using the close stance but exhausting instead. At least without serious training of the style that will be.
Greets
Bernd
Bernd Ziesche
www.first-cast.de
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

how hard is it to turn around ? :p
i do this all day long even when i'm not casting.
considering we don't have eyes behind our head it's a normal movement.

cheers,
marc