PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

which rod are youguys using? - which 9'6" rod for #7 weight competition

thedeadskunk
IB3 Member Level 1

which rod are youguys using? - which 9'6" rod for #7 weight competition

Post by thedeadskunk »

Chaps, which 9'6" rods, and why, do you use for #7 weight distance casting competition work?
Just read a few threads on here and note some competition members actually mask-off the rod make from others during competitions.
Cheers
Paul
James9118
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by James9118 »

I use a 9ft TCX. It's my saltwater rod when it's not being used in distance comps. I would prefer a 9ft 6" but I bought it second hand - I didn't want to hold out for the exact model when this one came up.

My longest cast with a #7 was with a Sage One 9ft 6" - unfortunately I don't own that one either!
thedeadskunk
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by thedeadskunk »

Cheers James.
stevie d
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by stevie d »

I use whatever is on the rack at the BFCC meeting (probably James' TCX :D ).Just a thought as well would a rod with a 7/8 rating be allowed?
Steve.
James9118
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by James9118 »

stevie d wrote:I use whatever is on the rack at the BFCC meeting (probably James' TCX :D ).Just a thought as well would a rod with a 7/8 rating be allowed?
Steve.
No - the BFCC rules the rod should be marked as a #7 max. (or #5 or #9 depending on the event). Obviously this is a constant area for discussion and could be subject to 'rule bending'. I can see why it's there - to try and keep the events rooted in fishing tackle, but I can also see the case for de-restricting it.
Ben_D
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Ben_D »

James9118 wrote:
stevie d wrote:I use whatever is on the rack at the BFCC meeting (probably James' TCX :D ).Just a thought as well would a rod with a 7/8 rating be allowed?
Steve.

No - the BFCC rules the rod should be marked as a #7 max. (or #5 or #9 depending on the event). Obviously this is a constant area for discussion and could be subject to 'rule bending'. I can see why it's there - to try and keep the events rooted in fishing tackle, but I can also see the case for de-restricting it.

Hi James,

I cannot see any reason to keep it as there is no standard for rods, only lines at 30'. Would it not be better to allow any rod and stipulate that any commercially available #5, #7 or #9 line be used and state that the line for a given number should have a maximum diameter of X mm? This would prevent lines being developed that are legal at 30' but then swell to a huge size thereafter, the sort of #5 line that could only be carried and thrown on something with an ERN of about 10+. This would give the required flexibility in terms of rods but would keep things real in terms of fishing gear, I often use lines heavier or lighter than that which is recommended for a given rod by the manufacturer when fishing.

Cheers

Ben
James9118
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by James9118 »

Hi Ben,

Yep, I agree. Another alternative is to have the BFCC supply all the outfits and we all cast exactly the same. That said, many people want to cast with the tackle they fish with and are used to.

My MED #5 goes well on my Xi3 #10 by the way :D.
VGB
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by VGB »

Why not select a commercially available blank to build off.?
James9118
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by James9118 »

VGB wrote:Why not select a commercially available blank to build off.?
We could have an event where you get a build kit - first to tape the rings on, shape the handle etc. and chuck it over 100ft wins :D .
thedeadskunk
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by thedeadskunk »

James9118 wrote:
Steve.
James, what's to stop someone from purchasing an #8 or #9 weight blank, making it up, and passing it off as a #7 weight?
James9118
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by James9118 »

thedeadskunk wrote:James, what's to stop someone from purchasing an #8 or #9 weight blank, making it up, and passing it off as a #7 weight?
Nothing. They rely on people being honest, after all there's no money or prizes up for grabs so they'd only be cheating themselves really.
thedeadskunk
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by thedeadskunk »

James9118 wrote:
thedeadskunk wrote:James, what's to stop someone from purchasing an #8 or #9 weight blank, making it up, and passing it off as a #7 weight?
Nothing. They rely on people being honest, after all there's no money or prizes up for grabs so they'd only be cheating themselves really.
Cheers James,Happy with that answer,
Question, as you know I'm on the hunt. Have you heard any good reviews comming from the Steve Harrison stable regarding 9'6" #7 weights?

I'll e-mail Steve tomorrow and ask,just thought I'd ask here first.
Like the look of the Bloke blanks which the guy from Bloke is selling on the F.F.Forum.Price is right too. Sage are just way out my price range!
VGB
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by VGB »

James9118 wrote:
VGB wrote:Why not select a commercially available blank to build off.?
We could have an event where you get a build kit - first to tape the rings on, shape the handle etc. and chuck it over 100ft wins :D .
No Monte Carlo starts otherwise us old gits would need a nap first