PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Casting Instructors - Why fly dressing

Michal Duzynski
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Hi Snake Pliskin

Just read the first post of this thread, and ask who started it.
VGB
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by VGB »

It was me that started it. I have seen this:

"The GAIC and APGAI awards are in three game angling disciplines: Single Handed Rod, Double Handed Rod and Fly Dressing."

and this:

"AAPGAI are recognised as some of the country's top fly fishing & fly dressing instructors, as well as fly casters & demonstrators."
Snake Pliskin
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Snake Pliskin »

Hi Snake Pliskin

Just read the first post of this thread, and ask who started it.

Er, Ok.
Michal Duzynski
IB3 Member Level 1

You see, this gives difderent light in to this case.
If Im a single, rich man, with out people to look.after, no job needed( cause Im rich),.and no.responsabilities, I could Master everything, deviding my 24h into, 4h of casting practice, 4h of fly tying,4h of entomology and reading the water, 4h of fishing, 2h of technical rod-line issues, 2h of fun,and 4h of.sleep.
On this schedule I might Master fly fishing, and become MEGA INTRUCTOR of everything.
I have family( i have to provide for), job (taking most of my time), and I love fly casting, and teaching it(...and spend most of my free time doing it),
In any examination should be main focus on one thing, the rest will come.
Im focusing on.fly casting, because if I have a best fly rod in the world, the best profiled fly line, and the most beautifull,well dresed fucking MISS of flies, and I dont know how to perform curve cast to get to this fish I can see behind the rock, Im out of the game.
I think most of you know Joan Wulff statment.
Lets take care off what we do best, and let the others do their best (tying flies)
Being partly good in everything-nneaah.
PICK YOUR TARGET- REACH IT
PICK YOUR GOAL -SCORE IT

cheers
mike
VGB
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by VGB »

Mike

I'm a man of many parts, most of them small and not working :p .

I was not trying to infer that an instructor has to do everything but wondering out of all the other fly fishing related skills, why fly tying should be singled out as a qualification.

I know why people want to become an instructor because it helps you pull chicks :D

regards

Vince
Michal Duzynski
IB3 Member Level 1

...fuck Im on the roll today :p
Some of us as a simple casting instructors can not find clients to teach, everybody complains it is to expensive.
So if I spend my time, and MONEY to learn how to teach fly ting, fly casting, reading the water, basics of fly fishing entomology, how to wade, and tie wading shooes, how to tie leaders,how to connect broken fly line,etc etc, and ask.the price for a course according to my expierince- I think I would be broke.
If you become Casting instructor, with whatever assosiation it is with, during the casting course for a beginner,if asked do you know this, do you know that, would you ask him for an extra buck, to show him something extra.I wouldnt,on the other hand I would be happy that he asked.
With all Im saying is, that it is kind of difficult to set the right picture of an instructor, because WHO is the right one?
That is why I think.any examinations should be precise. what do you really want from a candidate.

cheers
mike
VGB
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by VGB »

No problem Mike

I'm a consultant, if I can sell a client his own watch I will and then take a month off :blush:

regards

Vince
Michal Duzynski
IB3 Member Level 1

No worries ;)
Good talk
cheers
mike
Bernd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bernd »

Marc LaMouche wrote:simple, it's a very well known fact that fly selection is more important than fly presentation....
:???:
Bernd Ziesche
www.first-cast.de
Michal Duzynski
IB3 Member Level 1

might be a bot off topic here.
In the DVD "The source New Zeland", in the extra features part, one of the guys throws a small stick to big brown.
The trout came up ate it and spit it out in a second.
The throw/ presentation of the stick was accurate.

do the maths

cheers
mike
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

Bernd wrote:
Marc LaMouche wrote:simple, it's a very well known fact that fly selection is more important than fly presentation....

:???:

it's called sarcasm, Bernd... :p :D :)
VGB
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by VGB »

Michal Duzynski wrote:might be a bot off topic here.
In the DVD "The source New Zeland", in the extra features part, one of the guys throws a small stick to big brown.
The trout came up ate it and spit it out in a second.
The throw/ presentation of the stick was accurate.

do the maths

cheers
mike
:p Someone should invent a stick fly
Hal Jordan
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Hal Jordan »

Ore one of these?
Michal Duzynski
IB3 Member Level 1

pipping caddis,
looks like stick, and everybody happy.
Will
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Will »

VGB wrote:One of the things that struck me as odd, certainly with the UK instructor certifications, is the fly dressing qualification.

Where did it come from, why not rod building which has a linkage to the physics side. Or even, entymology.

Not a gripe, just curious
When I did the AAPGAI single handed assessment it included questions on entomology and general fishing knowledge, and there is emphasis on being a fishing instructor and not just a (great) caster.

I haven't done any tying qualifications, but the qualified tyers I've spoken to are hugely knowledgeable, way beyond what you'd find in any basic tying book; and although I consider myself an experienced tyer I'd love to acquire their skills one day.

Why not rod building? Interesting question. Certainly there is a lot more demand for fly tying skills than for rod building. Check out the relative number of books, web sites etc. and the amount of space in tackle shops given to tying vs rod building.

W.
Lineslinger
Barrio Pro-team
SGAIC
AAPGAI

"The only advice it is necessary to give the angler… is to avoid any approach to foppery, as trout have the most thorough contempt for a fop…”
WC Stewart