PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Casting Instructors - Why fly dressing

VGB
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by VGB »

It appears that in the US, rod building is a big thing with lots of choice of equipment to buy, courses etc etc. In the UK there is not much and I'm not sure that it is just a scale thing but also cultural. They appear to be much more prone to fettling.
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Echoing Will's comments; the fly dressing qualification is to a very high standard indeed. I wouldn't pass. Now I know you're probably thinking, "how can that be? Paul is a pioneer in advanced fly dressing techniques" :p but no, absolutely not. Maybe it's something I should do, I would have to get lessons and like Will, I think it would be fascinating to learn the skills set.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

oh, come on Dude ! don't belittle your tying qualities !!! :D :cool: :D :p
Snake Pliskin
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Snake Pliskin »

Echoing Will's comments; the fly dressing qualification is to a very high standard indeed. I wouldn't pass. Now I know you're probably thinking, "how can that be? Paul is a pioneer in advanced fly dressing techniques" but no, absolutely not. Maybe it's something I should do, I would have to get lessons and like Will, I think it would be fascinating to learn the skills set.

I believe you have tying skills so advanced that they'd need to start a new category past the "masters". Fly god, or something like that.
I'm proper dogshit at fly tying, and I know I'd learn loads if I had a lesson off one of those guys. Or any of the quality tiers out there. At the minute I'm not bothered enough, but if I got the urge I'd be more than happy to put my hand in my pocket.
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

From Ron,
This discipline has been a separate qualification from when APGAI was formed in 1964 . Since then, it like all the other casting disciplines the syllabi have been updated and improved. When AAPGAI was formed we had some excellent fly tyers as members....Paul Little et al.for example. We appointed Paul as the AAPGAI Fly dressing qualification organiser/overseer syllabus setter and assessment standards setter. The standards are high just as our casting tests are. At the beginning in 1964 in APGAI a candidate could not become a member of APGAI just as a fly dresser he had to pass a casting exam first....then it was just APGAI single handed or double handed. AAPGAI now allow fly dressers only to take the AAPGAI fly dressers exam if that is the only qualification they require. They are not qualified to teach casting only fly dressing. The AAPGAI standards in fly dressing are "Provisional" "Advanced" and "Masters"
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by VGB »

Thanks Paul
Crackaig
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Crackaig »

Michal Duzynski wrote:... I think I can learn how to tie the most difficult pattern, by watching the you tube video over and over again, but I would not learn how to cast ( distance, presentation casts, all types of mends), by watching the video.I might have an idea,but not understanding.
cheers
mike

There are some superb videos out there, while giving good instruction they also perform a disservice. Casting instructors don't give their lessons away free. Why should fly tiers give away the things they have spent many hundreds of hours learning?

Is not Paul Little's skill at fly dressing comparable to Paul's skill at casting? Why, then, do people consider instruction from one worth money, the other not?

My only barrier to becoming a qualified instructor in either discipline is the cost. I do not begrudge the instructors and assessors their payment for what they will impart. It is simply that I don't have the cash.

This brings up another problem. None of the casting instructor qualification available to me here in the UK are "recognised qualifications ". There is a scheme called Career Development Loans. If I wanted to learn to drive a heavy goods vehicle, for example, I can get a career development loan to cover the cost. I can not get one for CI qualifications . Does this indicate that the various CI organisations do not consider their qualifications a serious career choice?

Cheers,
C.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical
minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd
by the clean end"
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

Crackaig wrote:Does this indicate that the various CI organisations do not consider their qualifications a serious career choice?

hey :)

considering how very few people actually make a living as casting instructors, any organization would be completely daft and most of all dishonest to promote it as such.

cheers,
marc
VGB
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by VGB »

Crackaig wrote:My only barrier to becoming a qualified instructor in either discipline is the cost.
My only barrier is a complete lack of talent
Michal Duzynski
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Michal Duzynski »

we said that the guide or instructor should make our experience fun.
I think that is our guy- have no idea to assosiation he belongs :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....bedded#

cheers
mike
LaMouche
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by LaMouche »

VGB wrote:My only barrier is a complete lack of talent

just wait until they baguette and drumstick you. I hear it makes you a new man.
:D :D :cool:
... not catching anything on flies.
http://g0nefishin9.wordpress.com/
VGB
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by VGB »

LaMouche wrote:
VGB wrote:My only barrier is a complete lack of talent
:D :D :cool:
:O It would need to be a big baguette
Crackaig
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Crackaig »

Marc LaMouche wrote:
Crackaig wrote:Does this indicate that the various CI organisations do not consider their qualifications a serious career choice?
hey :)

considering how very few people actually make a living as casting instructors, any organization would be completely daft and most of all dishonest to promote it as such.

cheers,
marc
If that's the case shouldn't AAPGAI be changing its name to AAGAI?
Cheers,
C.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical
minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd
by the clean end"
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

hi Alan,
since the subject is about casting instructors my comment, as specifically stated, was about casting instructors regardless of the other possible activities, guiding, product development, fly tying, etc, etc, etc that may eventually lead to being able to make a living from fly fishing. :)

to be honest, i've never even heard of someone living from casting instruction only.
it would be interesting to know if anyone does.

cheers,
marc
victor
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by victor »

No. Just edible
it's casting Jim, but not as we know it, according to EFFA

http://michaelheritage.wordpress.com/