PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Bernd's page on instructors

Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Bernd's page on instructors

Post by Paul Arden »

http://www.sexyloops.com/2012.shtml?0912

I think perhaps it's a minefield for people seeking instruction. Although perhaps all they need to know is that the teacher is qualified, and the rest comes later.

The fact is I think that the vast majority of qualified instructors have no problems in teaching beginners to flycast. The busier they become the better they get.

What's happened however is that in certain parts of the world we have more qualified instructors than people to teach, and that we have competition amongst instructors. This I think may be a good thing, because it raises instructor standards, which is important, but it still means nothing to your beginner pupil.

There is lots to be done.

Cheers,
Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Bernd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bernd »

Paul Arden wrote:The fact is I think that the vast majority of qualified instructors have no problems in teaching beginners to flycast. The busier they become the better they get.

Hi Paul,
I think every teacher having problems teaching a student of any level would not be qualified to teach that particular student yet.
What skills could you think of in regard of teaching an advanced student which wouldn't be necessary to have when teaching a beginner?

Absolutely agree the increasing amount of teaching experience is what really makes a differency.
So should advanced instructor levels maybe ask for exactly that?
Greets
Bernd
Bernd Ziesche
www.first-cast.de
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Lots. Most beginners don't need to know how to throw an inverted loop for example.
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Bernd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bernd »

I think every instructor who would like to teach beginners in the Gebetsroither style (what quite some instructors do) should be familiar and able to teach inverted loops.

Also I can think of teaching tons of advanced students without ever having one asking for an inverted loop.
Bernd Ziesche
www.first-cast.de
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

Whosit's style has crossed loops, not inverted. an inverted loop would be an upside-down loop, something every beginner should know... :D

nice page Bernd ! this particularly:
1) The TEACHING side of instruction to be more involved into each task of all exams and

2) The renewal of instructor certifications not done by paying annual fees but instead by retesting and forcing the listed instructors to update their knowledge on fly casting.

:cool:
Aitor
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Aitor »

2) The renewal of instructor certifications not done by paying annual fees but instead by retesting and forcing the listed instructors to update their knowledge on fly casting.

Very clear.
However it is something that isn't going to happen with FFF. If FFF implemented a mechanism that made compulsory to stay current most of the instructors wouldn't renew. And it's all about the money.
Aitor is not like us, he is Spanish, and therefore completely mad.
Cheers
, Paul

No discutas nunca con un idiota, la gente podría no notar la diferencia.
Immanuel Kant

Videos for casting geeks
John Waters
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by John Waters »

What skills could you think of in regard of teaching an advanced student which wouldn't be necessary to have when teaching a beginner?

Interesting question Bernd. I believe there are a number of techniques that are specific to advanced casting objectives that are not sought after by beginners who are generally seeking improved loop speed, shape and trajectory at average fishing distances. e.g. hover, weight transfer on delivery for extreme distance, impact on overhang length and wind for heads, hand feedback on hauling. Most students are not the least bit interested in such issues so it's all about identifying the Client's needs and making sure you satisfy them. However there is no problem in exposing the Client to the potential of other casting objectives in the future. Obviously, the Instructor needs to be mindful of teaching, not demonstrating.

John
RexW
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by RexW »

I think casting instructors are similar to other professions, some are better than others.

I tend to think that the selection of an instructor becomes more critical as the student's skill level increases. And the instructor choice is especially important if the student is interested in learning a specific casting skill. Some instructors will be better at teaching that skill than other instructors.

It is similar to selecting a fishing guide, talk to them first to ensure your expectations meet what the guide (or instructor) offers.

Bernd, this is good article that definately caused me to stop and think.

Rex
LaMouche
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by LaMouche »

John Waters wrote:
Interesting question Bernd. I believe there are a number of techniques that are specific to advanced casting objectives that are not sought after by beginners who are generally seeking improved loop speed, shape and trajectory at average fishing distances. e.g. hover, weight transfer on delivery for extreme distance, impact on overhang length and wind for heads, hand feedback on hauling. Most students are not the least bit interested in such issues so it's all about identifying the Client's needs and making sure you satisfy them. However there is no problem in exposing the Client to the potential of other casting objectives in the future. Obviously, the Instructor needs to be mindful of teaching, not demonstrating.

John
If teaching fly casting is anything like academic teaching, the way you present the most elementary notions are deeply influenced by very advanced considerations. It takes a deep knowledge of a field to be able to put things very simply yet correctly.
but then, translating your knowledge into explanations/lessons is no trivial matter, so I agree with Bernd: if the point of certification is to provide warrants to the student that he will have a teaching experience meeting reasonable standards of excellency, then teaching should be the core of what is tested in certification.
... not catching anything on flies.
http://g0nefishin9.wordpress.com/
Aitor
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Aitor »

LaMouche wrote:If teaching fly casting is anything like academic teaching, the way you present the most elementary notions are deeply influenced by very advanced considerations. It takes a deep knowledge of a field to be able to put things very simply yet correctly.
Excellent point.
Cheers
, Paul

Immanuel Kant

Videos for casting geeks
John Waters
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by John Waters »

I am not certified although some would say I should be, but I suspect they are not referring to casting instruction. I have sought the assistance of many casting coaches, instructors and teachers over my journey. Some were certified by an Organisation, some not. IMHO I think the key is to ascertain how well the Instructor can provide the Client with a number of critical outcomes;

1. Ascertain your specific casting objective
2. Translate that into a body action that is preventing you attaining your objective and illustrate that through one or more specific loop properties
3. Communicate that "current state" using terminology that you understand and relate to
4. Communicate a change of body action that will result in achieving your casting objective or "future state" and demonstrate that through one or more loop properties
5. Have you adopt that change and see the impact on your loop
6. Provide reinforcement indicators that you can adopt when the lesson has finished so that your casting technique adopts the changes identified.

It is all about teaching and the ability of the Instructor to analyse casting related causes and impacts in order to satisfy your specific casting objectives. The basics of casting a 5 weight 40 metres, a 38 gram line 70 metres, are the same as getting your fly and leader to turnover at 15 metres or prevent tailing loops. It is only the nuances that change and therein lies the analytical skills and teaching skills of the Instructor.

If teaching fly casting is anything like academic teaching, the way you present the most elementary notions are deeply influenced by very advanced considerations. It takes a deep knowledge of a field to be able to put things very simply yet correctly.

Well said. Inherent within a "deep knowledge of the field" re casting is a high degree of specific observational and analytical skills that allow an Instructor to identify issues quickly and comprehensively. After that, the communication and teaching skills come to the fore.

Good article and discussion and as a professional "pupil", one of great interest to me.

John
Bernd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bernd »

John Waters wrote:

John

RexW wrote:I tend to think that the selection of an instructor becomes more critical as the student's skill level increases. And the instructor choice is especially important if the student is interested in learning a specific casting skill. Some instructors will be better at teaching that skill than other instructors.

Some good points!

On many instructors' websites I find:
- fly casting courses for beginners
- fly casting courses for advanced
- fly casting courses for instructors
- fly casting courses having a special purpose (like shooting head casting or Spey casting)
and so on.

On my own website I always offered those different courses, too. Soon I had to learn that I easily may end up with having a few students signing up for the instructor course while not knowing anything about basic fly casting elements (like the five essentials or anything similiar). So I ended up teaching them the very same thing I would teach a beginner. But I think we all agree a course for instructors should be about HOW TO TEACH.

Same thing happens with those sometimes who ask for an advanced lesson and finally ending up with me teaching the very basic elements.

In my experience we as instructors should always ask for the fishing situation, the experience and the purpose/target for each of our students before starting to plan the lesson. I understand this to be very important independent of the student's level.

We may have a beginner asking for a lesson in TLT cause his friends are TLT enthusiasts. Would Paul be a good choice here? Paul has passed most certifications available!
But still am sure he would make his own decision weather he will be able to meet the student's requirements or not, even for a beginner.

If we all agree teaching experience to be what really makes us becoming a better teacher in the first place, do we find this integrated in the different levels of certification?
Or does the second stage of certification mean to cast a rod lengths further mainly?

Thanks for all great response!
Bernd Ziesche
www.first-cast.de
Bernd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bernd »

Aitor wrote:
LaMouche wrote:If teaching fly casting is anything like academic teaching, the way you present the most elementary notions are deeply influenced by very advanced considerations. It takes a deep knowledge of a field to be able to put things very simply yet correctly.
Excellent point.
Very good point.

Remembers me to Albert Einstein:

"If you can't explain it to a ten year old boy, you don't understand it yet."
Bernd Ziesche
www.first-cast.de
Aitor
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Aitor »

Bernd wrote:Or does the second stage of certification mean to cast a rod lengths further mainly?
Unfortunately that is the case with some certifications.
Cheers
, Paul

Immanuel Kant

Videos for casting geeks
Snake Pliskin
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Snake Pliskin »

IMHO I think the key is to ascertain how well the Instructor can provide the Client with a number of critical outcomes;

1. Ascertain your specific casting objective
2. Translate that into a body action that is preventing you attaining your objective and illustrate that through one or more specific loop properties
3. Communicate that "current state" using terminology that you understand and relate to
4. Communicate a change of body action that will result in achieving your casting objective or "future state" and demonstrate that through one or more loop properties
5. Have you adopt that change and see the impact on your loop
6. Provide reinforcement indicators that you can adopt when the lesson has finished so that your casting technique adopts the changes identified.

All well and good, but some of us need to be able to teach people how to catch fish too. Control of the rod and line are great, but if you've got no idea of any other aspect then I'm not sure how much use it is. Where the fish live, how they behave, what they eat, how to land, how to unhook etc etc. These things are important to all of the beginners I've taught so far. And most intermediate "casters" like a bit of fishy advice too. Only a tiny minority of people want to learn how to cast just to stand on the grass and cast. Whilst that is awesome, 100% of people the people I've taught had wanted to catch more fish.
Teaching casting well is obviously essential and I'm as much a casting geek as anything else, but knowledge of the quarry, experience, and most of all a passion to learn as well as teach are essentials in my book too.