PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Need an all rounder - Novice needs some advide.

Saulyboy
IB3 Member Level 1

Need an all rounder - Novice needs some advide.

Post by Saulyboy »

Hi guys,

Been toying with the idea of a new fishing camera for a while now. I've an Olympus Mju for throwing about the place and of course getting wet but I want something for the non fishy landscape photos. I'm not looking to spend a fortune or buy a brick, somewhere in the region of £400 for a smallish camera.
There seems to be a few entry level DSLR's that could fit the bill but I suspect one of these all singing all dancing compacts might be a better choice.
I'm ideally looking for something that is not all that bulky, will take decent photos with depth of field when I'm in the countryside and a half decent video facility i.e. an all rounder if there is such a thing!

It's a bloody mine field out there with cameras so any advice would be most welcome.

Cheers :)
petevicar
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by petevicar »

Have a look at the Canon S100.

For me it's the best compact camera on the market.
Jeroen
BBBB No5

Post by Jeroen »

Canon G12 will be well within your budget, as the newer G1X gets all the attention. The G12 is a great little camera with all the benefits of a DSLR (a good one, not some entry level toy) and it is built like a little tank. Not waterproof, but a perfectly good underwater housing is available, if that is your thing.
I use one of the predecessors (G9) and I wouldn't want to be without it.
Here's a picture taken with a G12.

petevicar
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by petevicar »

I also have a G9, it is a good camera.

The S100 however has the same sensor as the G12 has a 2.0 lens and is very much lighter in weight.
The only slight drawback that I see is that the G12 has a viewfinder albeit an inaccurate one and the S100 does not.
Saulyboy
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Saulyboy »

Thanks for the replies gents, I shall further investigate both your suggestions.
Whilst trawling through Amazon I came across the Nikon 1 J1 with two lenses, that I can get for around the £400 mark. I know they advertise this camera a fair amount but wonder how much is hype? Nice looking camera and the additional lens is a potential bonus.
Jeroen
BBBB No5

Post by Jeroen »

Fixed lens means less chance of a dirty sensor. I used a mate's Olympus Penn for a while which took me right off these type of cameras. I had a digital viewfinder on mine but found the whole deal too fiddly for my taste. With one of these pancakes on it they are quite compact. But put a big zoom on it and the whole idea of a compact camera is gone. The photos with the Penn weren't bad, but certainly not better than with the G12.
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

Another vote for the G12 :)
skeg
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by skeg »

I'm after a second "quasi compact" cam myself, too...
the G1x is tempting, but there are some specs of this model what aren't so...and Canon will come up with an MK2 in a year, or so...in what I hope the correct the few handicaps...as they do always...
Peter
"...fish like a demon with a mission"-Sudesh

...just one more last cast
Jeroen
BBBB No5

Post by Jeroen »

Peter, did you see the G15's release. The most important feature it gains on the G1X is the lens, 1.8 aperture an more reach (140 mm)

Peter V. cheers for the head's up on the S100. Must give that one a try.
Viking Lars
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Viking Lars »

The Canon G-series are awesome, I have a G11 myself that I'm very satisfied with. The S-series are also awesome, you you lose some of the "semi-DSLR" controls that are on the G-series and also,mwhat's quite important for me, a flash shoe. My G11 with a 270ex flash is an awesome, little, powerful combo! Apart from that, image wise, the S-series and the G- series are the same.

The G1X is also an amazing camera, but with poor macro-capabilities, beware of that if it's important to you.

For compact sand semi-compact, I'd stay off Nikon, Canon are market-leaders in that segment.

And a compact camera with interchangeable lenses are a bit off the mark, I think. That second you bring a second lens, the compact idea is gone.

Lars
Great flycasters don't think straight - they track straight.....

If it moves - and shouldn't, use duct tape...
If it's stuck - and should move, use WD40...
Jeroen
BBBB No5

Post by Jeroen »

Lars, check the G1X - G15 comparison in my earlier posting. The G15 has a 1cm closest focal point.

Cheers,
Jeroen
Viking Lars
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Viking Lars »

Jeroen - I'm aware of the macro-capabilities of the G15 - I was referring to the G1X when I said poor macro.

The large sensor of the G1X and it's limited lens-size makes macro impossible, and as far as I can read, even "normal" close up photography is not easy with the G1X.

As I said, I have the G11 myself, and I often enjoy it's really good macro!

Lars
Great flycasters don't think straight - they track straight.....

If it moves - and shouldn't, use duct tape...
If it's stuck - and should move, use WD40...
skeg
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by skeg »

Thanks Jeroen, I'll check it out...

a 7D is more COMPACT than a 5D...if I think 'bout... :p
Peter
"...fish like a demon with a mission"-Sudesh

...just one more last cast
LaMouche
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by LaMouche »

Sony HX20V, and use the rest of your money on tackle :p
... not catching anything on flies.
http://g0nefishin9.wordpress.com/
Saulyboy
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Saulyboy »

G12 is now reduced to £350 on Amazon.........