PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Simple sighter on fly line end? - Any advice?

The 'GENT'
IB3 Member Level 1

Simple sighter on fly line end? - Any advice?

Post by The 'GENT' »

I'n trying to make my flyfishing more simple, I find it can get more complicated. Example.

I'm trying to fish just one rod for my nymph fishing and dries. I'm fine with dries, no problem but when I use nymphs due to age (my eyes) and line colour I don't always see the takes.

Does anyone have a simple answer, like a small indicator at the fly line tip, or something else I'm not thinking of?

I have a Rio nymph line but hate it for small river fishing, and it's poor with dries.

Any ideas, just throw them at me, thanks.
Jeroen
BBBB No5

Post by Jeroen »

How about a couple of drops of epoxy (like Loon Wader repair) on the butt of your leader, in different colours? A bit like the drop indicators used for French Nymphing.. Or you can wrap some fluorescent floss on your leader butt and coat this with Wader Repair. If you keep the top part of the leader greased up, it floats and it might be an elegant solution for small water nymphing.
stevie d
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by stevie d »

If you use a tapered leader you could tie in a piece of high viz bi coloured mono somwhere along its length a bit like the ones used in french leader set ups.Or a short length of bright flyline backing but this will need to be greased regularly as it will absorb water and eventually sink.
Steve.
The 'GENT'
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by The 'GENT' »

I tend to use a furled leader at the moment, so the nylon is out. What would be the best floss to try? Would you tie it on or just loop it between the leader loop, and leader loop?

Thanks.
Jeroen
BBBB No5

Post by Jeroen »

I would tie it on like you would tie on a rod guide: tie in a little loop of line/floss and pull the end through. I don't think it matters much which type of floss, because you cover it with epoxy..
VGB
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by VGB »

Rod Dibble does make furled leaders with fluorescent thread. I have a 5ft furled that I used with my streamflex. It's well worth dropping him a line to let him know what you want.
Haggisboy
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Haggisboy »

Gent,

You could make a "hot" butt from a short section of Amnesia red nail knotted to the tip of your line, grease it to float. Good stuff, and it will light up if it catches the light right.

C
stevie d
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by stevie d »

The 'GENT' wrote:I tend to use a furled leader at the moment, so the nylon is out. What would be the best floss to try? Would you tie it on or just loop it between the leader loop, and leader loop?

Thanks.

The short length of hi viz mono could be tied in at the end of the furled leader and the tippet added to this.You could also take a bright coloured waterproof/permanet marker and draw a few bands on the furled leader if it is made from thread.
Steve.
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

I use Loon Biostrike if I need an indicator, or a dry fly. Otherwise I find a white line best for seeing the takes. It has to be a pretty solid take to move the flyline however.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Eric
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Eric »

For a while Rio sold this thin wire coated with a neon yellow floating material (I think they called it Kahuna indicator). You can nip a short section and twist it around your leader wherever and it stays put as long as you don't tear your line out of the water with a lot of force. It's sort of like a floating pipe cleaner.

I like it when high sticking or dead drifting light nymphs in shallow water and riffles. You can see it even when sunk a bit.

I don't see it on their site anymore, but they use it to tie their flylines for shipment. I always save it. There may still be some around available at your shop but careful that it's not the floating stuff built on mono core.

I'll post a pic if you'd like.
...the fish know this and are evil... ~marc