PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Solo cuda handling

foreignmuck
IB3 Member Level 1

Solo cuda handling

Post by foreignmuck »

Just been doing a pre trip gear and flies check for a trip to Cuba I've got coming up soon. Its a girlfriend holiday with some diy fishing on the side not a fully guided trip so I will be fishing off my own back. I know that a guide will up my chances exponentially but prefer fishing like this even though I suck. So I got to the part where I was making sure I had wire and cuda flies and suddenly realised that if I actually hooked one in knee deep water miles away from land I would be on my own with an angry fish armed with some gnarley dentistry. How would I unhook the thing solo without hurting the fish or sampling the famous Cuban healthcare system? Anyone got any tips on catching these fish while wading alone?
Sport fishing with live kittens?
Too disgusting to be true?
You be the judge!
Jeroen
BBBB No5

Post by Jeroen »

If you don't carry a boga, I would suggest to get the shock/bite tippet with one hand and the tail with the other to land it. To unhook hold the fish firmly behind the skull on the softer part right behind the gills. If you are comfortable with that grip unhooking wouldn't be too much of a problem.
foreignmuck
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by foreignmuck »

Not sure I have the co-ordination to tail a fish and get a firm grip behind his head without the advantage of dry land,a boat or buddy. I've heard stories about cuda being able to work out where the source of the aggravation of being hooked is coming from and attacking fisherman. These are probably purely fictional but after seeing what they can do to a bonefish I might look at some boga type thing. Do they damage fish when used soley to get fish under control without lifting? Are there other brands worth checking out? I have no use for a scale either so thats not important.

Cheers.
Sport fishing with live kittens?
Too disgusting to be true?
You be the judge!
Jeroen
BBBB No5

Post by Jeroen »

There are other lip grippers that do a good job and are considrably lighter than a Boga. I gave my boga away because I think it is too heavy and I don't use it in the Netherlands. A boga or similar device doesn't put pressure on the tissue of the fish. It locks the beak behind the thick part of the jaw. If you aren't lifting, you don't hurt the fish with it.
I do know the stories of cudas attacking fishermen, but after having caught a fair number of them while wading, I still have to see the first one. When in a situation where you can't beach a fish, it is important not to try and land a green fish. Just by thrashing around they can hurt you and themselves. Cudas can make an impressive first run, but they tire faifly quickly IMO. A piece of wet cloth over the eyes calms them down considerably when you do the surgery.
Take your time reviving them.

Cheers,
Jeroen
Nile Special
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Nile Special »

Haha you're definitely going to lose a hand! Lay off the coffee beforehand and learn to cast with your left!