PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Promo video for Competition in Flycasting - (with fishing tackle)

Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Promo video for Competition in Flycasting - (with fishing tackle)

Post by Paul Arden »

It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Bernd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bernd »

Nice video!

"We use fishing tight equipment."

Yet I don't agree on that since I have never met anyone during trout fishing (even when ment to be on distance) using a 9wt. TCX or similuar. :)

I rather would call the event single hand longbelly distance and not TROUT distance.

But that's just me.
Thanks for sharing.
Cheers
Bernd

p.s.: At least we must be talking about some very big trout though. :p
Bernd Ziesche
www.first-cast.de
Lasse Karlsson
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Bernd wrote:Nice video!

"We use fishing tight equipment."

Yet I don't agree on that since I have never met anyone during trout fishing (even when ment to be on distance) using a 9wt. TCX or similuar. :)

I rather would call the event single hand longbelly distance and not TROUT distance.

But that's just me.
Thanks for sharing.
Cheers
Bernd

p.s.: At least we must be talking about some very big trout though. :p
Well, the guy winning TROUT distance used something that said 5 on it ;)

And I agree with Bruce in my quote....

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Gone.....
Bernd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bernd »

I too agree with Bruce about that, Lasse. Anyway Bruce wouldn't fish any of the rods being used in the whole tournament while fishing his home waters for trout around Bozeman.
Why? Because they are a bit stiff especially for nymphfishing, aren't they?

p.s.: At least we agree it to be quite nice Ronny had to control a huge amount of rod bend compared to Steve for example. That's what I see on all the vids I made watching them frame by frame... So yes, if I had to choose a rod out of that pool to fish with, his rod would be in the top league.
Bernd Ziesche
www.first-cast.de
Lasse Karlsson
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Well, I take it that Bruce uses whatever rod he likes...ANd if you had tried some of them, you might have dicorvered there where some noodles around, one was even casting a newer glassfiber thing, a pretty soft thing when I tried it...

And can you get the same amount of line carried in the air with different rod bend due to different casting mechanics?
Yes you can, and Steve and Ronny are two pretty different animals ;) Not so sure Steve was using something veru stiff, he's not known for liking very stiff rods even for competition...

If I had to choose a rod to fish with out of all the ones there, I would use the one I cast, that's what I fish....

That's the thing some like stiff some like soft, I underline my TCX, you overline your TCX, nothing wrong with that...

Cheers
Lasse

Gone.....
Bernd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bernd »

Ok, quite fair comment to me. :)
I too would like to fish your rod on SEA trout along the Denish coast, That would mean casting a head weight like 17-18 gramm (around 10-11m).

Fishing Glomma for example I never would want to use it since I would end up in a broken leader on nymph fishing easily besides that stick feels too heavy in my opinion for such (mainly) smaller trout.

And then it's fair to say there were many stiffer rods along the line, too.

Let's say we all prefer differnt rod stiffnesses to get the best cast be done.
How about the length? Some want shorter ones some longer ones.

Ever tried to cast the MED on a 15' dh rod? Quit interesting experiment ;).
Yes, it's still the same line...
Bernd Ziesche
www.first-cast.de
sms
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by sms »

I think Steve said "fishing type equipment."

I use my competition rod for most of my trout fishing (sea trout with 14g head). Actually it is the only single handed rod I've used for fishing in the Nordics in the past two years at least. For nig flies I do put #6 GPX on it. Excluding nig flies and sea trout fishing in the Baltic, I've used #5 MED on it and prefer it even for short casts.
I'm here just for the chicks.

President of The Village Idiots of Vantaa Rapids
President of The Casting Federation of Finland

-Sakke
Bernd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bernd »

Guys,
am fine with it, if this is what most participants want. ;)

It's just that I thought "(5wt.) Trout distance" was related to the tackle we use on typical Brown trout fishing for example. While "(27gramm) Sea trout distance" was meant to be related to Sea trout fishing.

Yet I see very rarely fly fisherman using such stiff rods to fish for Brown trout while using 5wt. lines. I also almost never find fly fishermn using 27gramm shooting heads but those between 15 and 21 gramm on Sea trout. Personally I wouldn't use 27gramm cause it easily spooks the fish. Again rods were quite stiff compared to what I find on those fishing mostly.

So it seems there was a tendency away from fishing focus to casting sport focus.

Lasse,
which rod offers you longest carry for the 5wt. MED?
A Tarpon rod (let's take a typical 11-12 wt.) or a 5wt. TCR (both 9')? How big is the difference?

Greets
Bernd
Bernd Ziesche
www.first-cast.de
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

sms wrote:I think Steve said "fishing type equipment."

hi Bernd, the 'key word' there is type, or in simple common english: 'sort-of' :D
it's just a basic generalization that gives the basic idea of the group but remains open.

fwiw, i almost exclusively use my TCRs in 4&5 for trout-type fishing. most people indeed use slower rods but there is no 'norm'. it's all a matter of personal taste :)

cheers,
marc
Bernd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bernd »

Marc LaMouche wrote:most people indeed use slower rods but there is no 'norm'. it's all a matter of personal taste :)
Hi Marc,
thanks for the "translation" ;) (obviously I got that wrong...).

About the personal taste, yes... same goes to the line (head length, head weight, taper), right?
As we have seen in Sea trout distance :cool: .
Greets
Bernd
Bernd Ziesche
www.first-cast.de
Dung Fly
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Dung Fly »

It looked a really good event in a fantastic location.
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

I don't mind the stiff rods that some competitors use. If they can make them work then that's fine, but I take your point. Problem is what is a 5 weight rod, Bill H has an opinion, but both you and I think that's too soft!

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Bernd wrote:Ok, quite fair comment to me. :)
I too would like to fish your rod on SEA trout along the Denish coast, That would mean casting a head weight like 17-18 gramm (around 10-11m).

Fishing Glomma for example I never would want to use it since I would end up in a broken leader on nymph fishing easily besides that stick feels too heavy in my opinion for such (mainly) smaller trout.

And then it's fair to say there were many stiffer rods along the line, too.

Let's say we all prefer differnt rod stiffnesses to get the best cast be done.
How about the length? Some want shorter ones some longer ones.

Ever tried to cast the MED on a 15' dh rod? Quit interesting experiment ;).
Yes, it's still the same line...
Hi Bernd

I stepped up to the TCX 6 after being really outgunned fishing for grayling and browntrout in north of sweden with Stefan. He was using a 6 and I a 5, and it was simply to soft. I used to fish Glomma with a 5, next time I'll be using the 6, and I've never broken a leader, how do you do that?

Yup, I've tried it on a 15 footer, prefer a heavier line on that something like this:

https://vimeo.com/33106175

Do you prefer a 15 footer for a 5 weight line? That's interesting :) Or do you want to put yourself at a heavy disadvantage and go for the 5 footer?

Cheers
Lasse

Gone.....
Lasse Karlsson
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Bernd wrote:Guys,
am fine with it, if this is what most participants want. ;)

It's just that I thought "(5wt.) Trout distance" was related to the tackle we use on typical Brown trout fishing for example. While "(27gramm) Sea trout distance" was meant to be related to Sea trout fishing.

Yet I see very rarely fly fisherman using such stiff rods to fish for Brown trout while using 5wt. lines. I also almost never find fly fishermn using 27gramm shooting heads but those between 15 and 21 gramm on Sea trout. Personally I wouldn't use 27gramm cause it easily spooks the fish. Again rods were quite stiff compared to what I find on those fishing mostly.

So it seems there was a tendency away from fishing focus to casting sport focus.

Lasse,
which rod offers you longest carry for the 5wt. MED?
A Tarpon rod (let's take a typical 11-12 wt.) or a 5wt. TCR (both 9')? How big is the difference?

Greets
Bernd
Hi Bernd

I compete with my typical brown trout equipment, Paul does too :)

I rarely find flyfishers using 27 gram shootinghead unless it's for their doublehanders, but often see them using full lines on their 7 and 8 rods where the head actually weighs 30 grams, and have no problem with spooking fish...

The majority of competitors use either a 7 or 8 weight DT or longbelly line cut down to 27 grams... For fishing I use a 9 weight DT cut down to 26 grams on my rod that says 8 on the side, don't think I've ever spooked a fish with that gear, most use a 9 or 10 weight DT cut down for their shootingheads, they cut it down to lighter than me, but also shorter.... I used a ECHO 3 9'6 8 weight, not really a stiff rod by any comparision. I know that some of the Swedes are looking into using very stiff rods, thing is they are still 10 meters behind in good conditions ;)

Biggest carry between a saltwater rod that says 12 on the side and a TCR that says 5? the TCR, give me one that says 6 and add a foot, with the saltwater one take away 2 feet. How does carry long lengths of line relate to fishing? One always ticks anyway according to you, and that would spook fish :???:

Cheers
Lasse

Gone.....
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

I don't compete with my typical trout fishing equipment. Typically I'm one ERN above for fishing. With the 5 distance 2 ERNs. Or something like that :p

Flycasting Definitions