PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Tails on backcast of PUALD

Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Tails on backcast of PUALD

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi guys,

Aitor showed me a video clip of a tendency to tail with the broomstick as a result of line configuration upon loop unroll on the backcast. A email question from a Malaysian guy training for his CCI, led me to draw these two possibilities for tails on backcast following a pick up. Personally I think most tails in these circumstances are a result of how the line looks at the start of the casting stroke and not a fault during the casting stroke.

Do you agree?

Thanks, Paul
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (244.53 KiB) Viewed 3745 times
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Incidentally Fender didn't come up with this; that's all the paper I had to hand at the time. I bought an electric guitar so I can play my rendition of Angie to the whole of Latohegy. The cat has already moved out.

Flycasting Definitions
Aitor
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Aitor »

Not an actual tail IMO, just another version of line dangle; although the shape can be exactly the same.
Aitor is not like us, he is Spanish, and therefore completely mad.
Cheers
, Paul

No discutas nunca con un idiota, la gente podría no notar la diferencia.
Immanuel Kant

Videos for casting geeks
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

It all depends on your definition of Tail, Aitor. For me it is the loop itself, not how it got there. For example if you saw a photo of a loop with the classic tail configuration, you would never be able to say if it was a tailing loop or a dangling end variation! That's pretty confusing, especially since it's actually called "tailing loop".

Looking forward to a week of big pike and endless late night discussions!! :cool:

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Aitor
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Aitor »

Paul Arden wrote:For example if you saw a photo of a loop with the classic tail configuration, you would never be able to say if it was a tailing loop or a dangling end variation!
True, you can not tell the difference. So we have a brand new cause of tails that works even with a broomstick.
Looking forward to a week of big pike and endless late night discussions!!

Yep! Conveniently accompanied by weissbier! :D
Aitor is not like us, he is Spanish, and therefore completely mad.
Cheers
, Paul

No discutas nunca con un idiota, la gente podría no notar la diferencia.
Immanuel Kant

Videos for casting geeks
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

Paul Arden wrote:Personally I think most tails in these circumstances are a result of how the line looks at the start of the casting stroke and not a fault during the casting stroke.

Do you agree?

hi Paul,
i'd agree and add that a lot of tails on P/U are also caused by improper power application very often combined with a lack of lift before the power stroke. the latter is the biggie in my experience.

Not an actual tail IMO
definitely is when there's a 'wind knot', no ?

cheers,
marc
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

A wind knot is a special circumstance and requires a tracking error in addition to accomplish. I can't remember seeing tails as a result of lack of lift, normally completely the opposite, ie open loops. I suppose it's possible if the rod unloads fractionally when the line clears the water - better duck! :cool:

I'm back to seven distinct causes now, 1 too narrow CA for rod bend, 2 creep resulting in 1, 3 breaking 180 (dangling end), 4 improper force application (often at beginning of CS, also at end), 5 finishing haul too soon, 6 slack line, 7 line configuration at start of CS.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

Paul Arden wrote:A wind knot is a special circumstance and requires a tracking error in addition to accomplish.
agree, but i'm also pretty certain that whatever may cause the fly-leg crossing twice tail, if there's a collision of the legs then there's a reaction to this impact, creating waves and further throwing the line legs all over the place sometimes resulting in knots, sometimes not. make sense ?
slomo analysis would be interesting :cool:

cheers,
marc
cesarwf
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by cesarwf »

Not an actual tail IMO, just another version of line dangle; although the shape can be exactly the same.

+1
Richard Wallace
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Richard Wallace »

Is cause (7) the same as cause(6)? It seems that to commence the lift with the rod tip elevated introduces slack line.
Cheers,
Richard
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

I wouldn't call that slack, Richard. Sag certainly. And I think with a longer stroke you can probably remove it of course, or have the wave run through the fly leg completely.

Hi Marc, for the tailing loop to create a wind knot, I believe all that needs happen is for the wave to hit the rod led and the line end to pass through the closed loop created.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

Paul Arden wrote:I believe all that needs happen is for the wave to hit the rod led and the line end to pass through the closed loop created.
duh... :p

:D :cool: :D
VGB
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by VGB »

Paul

If you had come over in the free play section of the Open Day, I could have demonstrated all 7 causes in one cast. I had several master instructors that came to learn how to do it.
LaMouche
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by LaMouche »

Paul Arden wrote:I wouldn't call that slack, Richard. Sag certainly.
Hi all,
Paul, maybe I miss your point but is it not the case that sag is a specific form of slack? If not, what's the difference?
thanks
... not catching anything on flies.
http://g0nefishin9.wordpress.com/
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Slack can create a tail because it makes part of the casting arc ineffective.

Sag can result in a tail because the wave pre-exists in the line at the commencement of the casting stroke.

So that's why I think they're very different!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions