PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Mexico and Cuba

TheBadger
IB3 Member Level 1

Mexico and Cuba

Post by TheBadger »

Hola amigos (or something to that effect),

I have very tactically managed to convince my parents that I am not, in fact, too old to accompany them on family holidays and, as such, I'm heading to Cuba and Mexico in January. We've got about 2 weeks in each, none of which is specifically laid out for fishing time. I'm going to try and squeeze a few days in though, preferably with a guide as I'm somewhat challenged when it comes to saltwater fly.

Does anyone have suggestions for fishing in either country? It sounds like it's a bit more accessible in Mexico and that Cuba is all locked up with lodges?

Any advice is truly appreciated!

Jack
Jack Kos
RIVERWORKS Pro Team
Riverworks
Riverworks Blog
Daniel
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Daniel »

Where in Cuba/Mexico are you staying Jack?

I think lots of places are locked up in Cuba although you should be able to find DIY or cheap guided options on Cayo Coco/Guillermo/Romano.

I havent been to Mexico for quite a while but there's good fishing to be had in the Yucatan. A few lodges in Punta Allen. Also a few guiding options on Cozumel although you'll need to catch a ferry from Playa del Carmen. Saw lots of Jacks cruising the beaches when staying in Playa del Carmen/Playacar resorts.
TheBadger
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by TheBadger »

Thanks for the response Daniel. At this stage everything's still quite flexible and I can probably shape a few days in one spot.

Mexico looks like predominantly in-land, which isn't ideal... But it can probably be shifted if I can find some really good fishing (and convince dad to front for it haha!). Mexico is more of a stop over en-route to Cuba, so we're centred around Mexico City give or take a few hundred km.

With regards to Cuba, we've got a few days in Havana, a few days in Vinales and a few days in Trinidad. So mostly in the North-West of the country.

What might end up happening is dad and I abandoning my mum and sister and taking a small excursion. Does anyone have a rough clue on pricing for guides/lodges in Cuba? Most of the websites seem to be a bit vague in that regard, which is typically something to be concerned about.
Jack Kos
RIVERWORKS Pro Team
Riverworks
Riverworks Blog
Daniel
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Daniel »

Jack, i'm hoping someone with experience in those areas will be able to step in and give you some useful info as I have no idea about the fishing around Mexico City.

When I visited Cuba I stayed on Cayo Coco and fished DIY apart from one guided trip which I booked on the fly via some info given by one of the hotel staff.

Looks like you're quite some distance from anywhere I have info on. Sorry dude!
TheBadger
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by TheBadger »

No worries mate, appreciate the effort anyway!
Jack Kos
RIVERWORKS Pro Team
Riverworks
Riverworks Blog
ian
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by ian »

JAck, I use a guy called Richard French, runs a company called slipstream angling. have a look at his web site as he offers a few non avalon type options. its worth writing to him and telling him your travel plans and see what he can arrange/suggest, he is v helpful. only other tip is get out on a windy day with some heavy gear and actual flies and practice before you go if you havent done much salt.
Mike Thomas
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Mike Thomas »

Hey Jack, lots of info re Cuba here http://www.flyforums.co.uk/destination-fishing/
Hope this helps.
All the best.
Mike
TheBadger
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by TheBadger »

Cool thanks guys. I think I will probably email an independent guide or two as that looks like the more economical way to do it. Any idea if they carry the required gear or is it more of a BYO thing? I'm pretty lightly kitted out for SWFF, but can remedy that if need be!
Jack Kos
RIVERWORKS Pro Team
Riverworks
Riverworks Blog
foreignmuck
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by foreignmuck »

Hi Jack. I just got back from a trip to cayo coco and did a days guided fishing on the flats at cayo paredon which seems to be part of cayo romano. We were diving at coco too and the dive op at the hotel offered day trips to trinidad so it looks like you may be in striking range of a days fishing. From my limited experience the only way you will get to fish is by taking a guide as the diy flats are only accessible through the hotels on cayo coco. As to gear it will be a BYO deal I think. When I was there a few guys had issues with guides who had been booked months in advance via email taking other clients out on the days they had booked. The clincher seemed to be who had paid up front. The hotel dive op also booked fishing and once some cash had been dropped you were pretty much in front of the queue from what I could gather. No problem if you are staying at a hotel where you can book and pay up front but maybe a bit of a gamble if you aren't based at a hotel that sells fishing as I dont think there is a way you could pay up front with the "independent" guys any other way.
The fishing is great. The guide I fished with was called Ronaldo. Although I love working it out myself the day out with him on paredon was probably one of the best days bonefishing I have had. Hunting big spooky yet hungry single fish in ankle deep mangrove. Good fun. Pm me if you want the email of the dive op that booked the fishing for me they may be able to help with transport from trinidad and booking guides.
Sport fishing with live kittens?
Too disgusting to be true?
You be the judge!